SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
astha_gupta33

soundproofing experiences for exterior noise in existing construction?

A G
3 years ago

I have a top floor condo at a somewhat busy intersection. The building is wood frame on a concrete podium with wood siding. Assuming that like most people my noise issues were with my windows I bought a test secondary soundproof window and it did not do a thing.

So it must be my walls? I am thinking of trying the green glue and second drywall (regular drywall or Quietrock) on the inside of the existing exterior wall (without removing any existing drywall). This will cause the loss of 5/8th of an inch which is tolerable. I don’t have a lot of inches to lose and build a second wall though I may consider it for the master bedroom (causing a loss of 2 inches due to the sound isolation clips).

Anyway, anyone have success or failure stories to share from their own experience ? My hope is that boosting the low frequency transmission loss of my walls will give a chance for the soundproof windows to do its job. I don’t expect or need pin drop silence, just want the loud engine rumbles/motorcycle noise to sound more distant/muted. I can’t build a second wall.

Thank you!

Comments (23)