SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidpilati

Exterior sound abatement/wall construction insulation questions

David Cary
7 years ago

So we are in the planning phases of a central NC build - infill urban area. We are talking to 2 builders and have gotten their advice and need a bit of a tie breaker. Would like to have well above code thermal insulation but also have sound and of course budget concerns.

Before sound was an issue, I was always planning on rigid foam over 2x4's with 1 in or 2 in based on cost issues. Climate is pretty mild and our current R13 house with a ridiculous amount of windows costs $300 or so a year to heat and about the same to a/c. Our new house will be smaller and have less windows. I point this out to show that financially going much higher on insulation is not cost effective - but I am willing to do 30-50 year payback when it comes to walls on principle.

So for sound, one builder mentioned 2x6, fiberglass and brick. He mostly builds 2x4 but has built some 2x6's lately (for Northerners as he puts it) and his anecdotal report is that they are much quieter. He also likes brick for sound. Builder number 2 feels that brick is too expensive for sound (fine for other reasons of course) and would rec 2x4 with spray foam. I do think the budget was not thinking brick in the back for aesthetics alone.

Now - the interesting thing is the most important noise to block is kids playing in a pool. Sure traffic is an issue but is not much different than our current location. I would like some greater attenuation but this isn't freeway noise. Our current house does a terrible job blocking kids in the pool (neighbors). We just realized the lot we are making offers on has a nearby pool. We currently have hardi on the back and large double hung wood windows and the noise is one of the reasons we are moving. (We have other reasons also otherwise we would replace windows)

From other threads it does sound like the noise we want blocked is relatively high frequency and is mostly a window issue. I had forgotten about the double drywall but of course this doesn't help with thermal performance much. No one talks much about rigid foam for sound abatement but it would seem to me that rigid foam over 2x4 with fiberglass would have equal sound performance to spray foam and better thermal performance.

Thoughts?

We will do fixed or casement windows and will consider special sound abatement windows when the time comes. Is this our best bang for buck? We are also considering a brick fence/wall and it looks to be allowable to 6 feet high.

Thanks and this will be the first thread of many. Third build in 9 years - I know - I have a problem....

Comments (13)