Dessert shot pairing?

Louiseab Ibbotson

To liven up the COVID blues, DH came up with a fun idea for the weekend. I’m to make an appetizer and dessert of my choice without him knowing what I’m making. He will handle the main. For the appetizer, I think I’ve settled on a lobster and scallop creamy combo with a puff pastry cap. This, I will serve in some tall ramekins I have. For dessert, I’m making mini (3 inch) fluted tart pans. Apple pie with a crumble topping. I’m planning to top with either sweetened whipped cream or ice cream. Then I got this brilliant idea to serve a sauce on the side. It’s a warm, salted caramel bourbon sauce. Just to be decadent, I wanted to serve it with a shot. Would bourbon work? Or too much?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask since I haven't really done shots since college. The hard sauce sounds good, especially with ice cream, but it sounds like a bit much with the shot. Unless... If it's just a spoonful of bourbon for the flavor rather than the boozy sauce I'm imagining, and then paired with a bourbon shot, that might be really good. You could go even farther, if you have a torch, and burn some sugar on top of the shot (crème brûlée style) to go with the caramel in the sauce, and have fun cracking it.

I can't think of something that would go with bourbon other than bourbon. Unless you count Jack as something different. Maybe a really rich sweet red wine, like a low class chianti, but they'd have to be tasted together ahead of time, because that could go all kinds of ways wrong. Maybe some kind of apple brandy to go with the tart, but I don't think I'd like it with the bourbon sauce.

If you were talking dessert cocktail rather than shot, I could see a fizzy apple drink, but with a neutral spirit. Thinner and fizzy makes me think it wouldn't fight the bourbon so much.

Whatever you decide, it all sounds like fun, and a great way to make a party even if it's just you two. Enjoy!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
nekotish

Don't know where you live so not sure if it would be available, but Crown Royal Maple is really nice to sip and I think it would go well with apple pie.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
Louiseab Ibbotson

Pillog, I like your ideas. I’m going to try to post the link to the recipe for the sauce I’m planning to use. nekotish, Crown Royal is Canadian, as I am. My fil loves the maple flavour.

lets See if my pea brain can pull this off.

https://www.simplyscratch.com/2018/09/bourbon-salted-caramel-sauce.html

Save    
plllog

That worked fine. :) It sounds good. The tbsp of bourbon sounds like enough to make it taste a little boozy without really being alcoholic. The cream and butter combination, with the alcohol, should make it thinner than a lot of caramels, and should be a good consistency for your purpose. Re the aside, I've long assumed that the "ab" was for Alberta... And gotta love the autocorrect! :D

Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
bragu_DSM 5

I thought I saw an apple CR today ... but maybe it was maple. Love, love, love crown royal ...

Save    
lindac92

I would use Ann T's caramel sauce and add a tablespoon of bourbon and serve a flake salt on the side...or sprinkle it on top as you serve the dessert.
Of course a shot on the side wouldn't be too much!! But if you want to minimize the "doing shots" thing, serve it in a stemmed cordial glass.
And maybe calvados....for both in the sauce and for the shot.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
Louiseab Ibbotson

Linda, I like that!

Save    
l pinkmountain

I've never had calvados, can't really afford it. So that would be a very special treat for me . . .

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

tolkaji dessert wine is wonderful

1 Like Save    
jakkom

A fine tokaji aszu is best by itself, I think. Like a great Sauternes, it's too sweet to accompany a caramel sauced dessert.

Bourbon or rum, would be my choice. I'm a fan of Jefferson bourbons and either Mt Gay or Ron Zacapa rums. Both would be great with apples and caramel.

Amusing rum story:

One of our friends visited Cuba for the brief time it was open travel under Obama. He brought back the Havana Club 7 yr for me (he doesn't drink hard liquor, just wines). This is from the original Bacardi Rum distillery which the Cuban government took over and still runs. You can only buy their rums at the distillery tasting room. It is legendary among rum lovers.

It is a PHENOMENAL rum - possibly the best I've ever had. The sad irony is, I told him to buy the most expensive rum he could find to bring back. Even offered to give him the money beforehand.

When he brought it over to me, he said, "Don't bother to pay me back. It didn't cost much." He said it cost him $15.

Then he innocently told me he had decided not to bring me back the 18 yr old Havana, because "it was $30!"

The thing that made me cringe was the 21 yr old Zacapa (which I had bought a month before I learned he was going to Cuba) hits the 3-figure mark, which is relatively low priced for a really fine bottle of liquor. Bourbon is "hot" and overpriced right now, whereas rum is still playing second fiddle to aged tequilas.

My rum-drinking friend and I half-seriously discussed springing for a plane ticket to send him back to Cuba for the older rum, LOL!

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

ha!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Hanukkah Sweeten Your Hanukkah With a Dessert Table for All Ages
By Houzz
Homemade treats and creative thinking amp up a crafter's holiday table that you can easily re-create
Full Story
Color 10 Pair-Ups for Black in the Kitchen
Combine black with other colors to add drama, polish and modernity. It also can make a kitchen look more spacious
Full Story
Decorating Guides Give That Coffee Table an Extra Shot of Style
Corral necessities neatly or add an eye-catching base for display with a tray that sets off your table or ottoman
Full Story
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More
Our goal is to make a better and more pleasant atmosphere in the most functional parts of the home so our clients... Read More