Wild animal stories

HamiltonGardener

A couple of recent stories involving wild animals. This one blew my mind. Make sure you watch the video.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5923089

SaveComment12Like2
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HamiltonGardener

And a seal.

These cops are now SEAL Team Six

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5922920

1 Like Save    
morz8

Funny how they end up in some unusual places. I was happy to see neither animal in the clips above had to be hurt.

Not quite so uncommon, but I'd been wondering who somewhere near might be feeding deer. When I go out to shoo them out of my plants, they will often come to me instead of going the other way. (I don't run at them screaming, I only want them to quit eating but not charge out into the street no more often than cars slow down for them in this residential neighborhood).

We were coming home, using the back way up a steep street leading up to our drive yesterday and I saw our mail carrier entering a yard about three blocks below our house. There were seven deer in that yard and a woman on the porch throwing apples to them. It's tempting I know, the way they come towards me looking for what could be in my hands, I think they would begin taking food from me in just a day or two. (I never ever feed them, not even the cuter than cute yearling that has ears like a rabbit) If I see my mail person this afternoon, I'll ask her if that's a regular event down the street.

Our winters aren't harsh enough that they suffer for food. They are fat, healthy happy year around - there is no reason to feed them.

1 Like Save    
Embothrium

Sure there's a reason to feed them - as far as people who have the psychological need to hand or throw food to something and watch it eat it. Never mind the consequences for the wild animals being fed or how taking this action affects the neighborhood - that's beyond the level of their self directed interest.

1 Like Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Grabbed a lynx!! Holy x#%&! An angry house cat can cause some real damage (ever tried to give a pill to a cat that REALLY didn't want it?)--but a lynx!

3 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I had a Coopers hawk nest on my property last spring about 25 yards from my front door. 2 chicks were hatched. When they were fully feathered and not far from learning to fly one of them apparently fell from the nest during the night. The next morning there it was sitting on my front porch. I donned a pair of thick leather gloves, picked it up, and carried it down to the base of the nest tree. It's talons nearly penetrated completely through the gloves. The next day it had somehow made it back up into the nest about 25' up in the crook of the tree.

Within a week both of them were starting to fly short distances. When they would run out of gas they would crash land anywhere and everywhere. It was fun to watch them grow up. I hope they nest on my property again this year.

6 Likes Save    
colleenoz

I'm the lab technician in a rural high school her in Oz. Yesterday I was about to unlock the door into my lab when I looked down and saw a baby venomous snake trying to get in, more or less at my feet. Took about five years off me!

The babies are more dangerous than their parents because their venom is more concentrated and they have no fear, so are more liable to go on the attack rather than slither away.

2 Likes Save    
jupidupi

Brought to mind an oldie but goodie video of the Cleveland bear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOKHlWAp4No

1 Like Save    
pudgeder

The guy holding the Lynx has some serious hutzpah!!

1 Like Save    
breenthumb

Yes. The lynx looked surprised!

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

"How the bear would look, except real" !! LOL LOL LOL

Save    
morz8

I had a black bear walk across my front yard one Fall a couple of years ago. A Sunday afternoon. I was so startled, I called the police. Up until that day, I'd only caught glimpses of them in the woods very occasionally and never in town.

"Did you feel threatened?"

Well, no but seeing it was unusual enough I thought someone should know, we have pets and children in the neighborhood.

They weren't overly concerned and my call wasn't the first they'd received. Dept of Wildlife did call me the next morning though, our street carries the same name as a K-6 school down the hill and they wanted to know how close to the school yard the bear had been. (about 5 blocks)

Turns out it was going from apple tree to apple tree in our residential neighborhood. It came back after dark several nights, we could go out with a flashlight and watch it at the tree across the street from the garage end of our house. My SIL even came over in pajamas one evening so she could see it too, she'd been ready for bed when DH called her ;0)

Animal Control kept encouraging the neighbor to pick her apples, DH offered to help her. She resisted several days, then relented and picked the apples. The bear quit appearing.

Save    
Ont_Gal

I had a year old bear cub come onto my back deck 2 summers ago-he was more than curious, had no idea that I was a human.

I figure the sow bear had gone down our main road and the little one had just, like a 3 yr old kid, wandered off exploring.

He didn't offer to even leave the deck with me shooing him off and clapping hands...he wasn't in a hurry whatsoever....and no fear at all of humans.

I feed racoons, which honestly happened totally by accident.

We had a few feral cats when we first came here & I wanted them live trapped and taken away.

We had lots of activity in the traps, but not one was a cat...only raccoons.

That started the regular visits each summer since....they arrive Easter wknd and leave on/about Thanksgiving.

I realize feeding them is not great for them as "wildlife", however, keeping them well fed, watered and taken care of insures that my vegetable and flower beds window screens and property are left intact as well.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets Dealing With Pet Messes: An Animal Lover's Story
Cat and dog hair, tracked-in mud, scratched floors ... see how one pet guardian learned to cope and to focus on the love
Full Story
Decorating Guides Expert Talk: Walk on the Wild Side With Animal Art
Bring untamed power and energy to your interiors with sophisticated, personal or just darn cute animal art
Full Story
Rugs Animal-Inspired Rugs Call the Wild Indoors
Bring a sense of adventure home with leopard-print runners, red-zebra prints and more
Full Story
Precision Home Solutions specializes in remodeled bath and kitchens, finished basements/bars. We keep your budget... Read More