SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Water for the Wild Animals

I'm sure many of you must be doing this already, but the incredible heat today reminded me to freshen up the water in the four places I have it for the animals who must surely be dehydrated and suffering in these temperatures. I've seen rabbits, squirrels, quail, crows and lizards and a feral cat drink the water I've put out and I imagine the night animals must also be helping themselves. It's so little trouble and cost and I'm sure it makes a huge difference in the quality of their lives. The two quail had a whole string of tiny babies and they were all jumping down from the butterfly bush into the bird bath below. I can only imagine what it would be like for me to spend even a few hours outside in this heat without water. I think all of us who have gardens feel close to nature and this is one important way we can help.

Ingrid

Comments (21)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

My husband has this fancy crystal bowl that he won at a marathon race. I fill it with water daily, and found a duckling couple drink from there. I see lots of robins and yellow finch dead from the 100 degrees heat. I have 3 bird baths and 26 trees to give them shade, but I still find dead birds.

Kim Rupert once wrote about the $30 rose bush that he bought which came down with diseases. He didn't spray since he didn't want to hurt the animals. I don't spray either for that reason.

Doing what's appropriate is more important than what's fancied. I don't fancy perfect rose, so I don't use chemicals. Besides, 15 years ago, I sprayed heavily, used Bayer insecticides - and I still had tons of diseases and aphids from chemical fertilizer.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Just be sure you are not providing stagnant water for mosquitoes to breed. It does not take them long.

• Related Discussions

Blueberries and wild animals/birds

Q

Comments (7)
    Sure, I will have to take some pics and post them on here next week. I have about 1400gal rain water storage between a 500gal plastic tub and 15 blue 55gal barrels. Not all the barrels are piped up in a series yet but all are full of rain water for storage. One half of my house is guttered to the barrels. Got a pump that puts out way too many gpm for what I need but it works. Each raised bed has 15ft of garden hose wrapped around the blues and covered in 3in of pine bark mulch. Poked holes in the hose with a nail every 2 inches. Im wanting to get a timer and automate the whole thing but havent got around to it yet. All my potted blues I hand water with a water can. Thats pretty much it. It really looks pretty getto the way its all set up but it is very functional. My wife is on my butt to build a fence around the barrels and stuff cause it is a eye sore. I will post some pics in the near future.
    ...See More

What wild animal is this?

Q

Comments (4)
    Those poweweful hind legs and a very big foot says rabbit to me. Also, the hind legs are outsized in length compared to the front legs, more so than for a canine. The carcass is in very bad shape. Imagine putting a pair of long ears on the head. Also, compare the size of the carcass with the oak leaf next to it. It is right sized for a rabbit.
    ...See More

Name this Wild Animal

Q

Comments (12)
    I forgot to mention that while the Nilgai is native to India, an introduced population has established itself in parts of South Texas. It would be cool to see one there, even if they aren't native.
    ...See More

making (or buying) wild animal print beads

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I am new to clay working (fimo etc). I was wondering if anyone knows how to make decent looking wild animal print beads using clay. I am interested in zebra, tiger, cheetah, giraffe and leopard. If anyone has a resonable priced ready made bead source I would be interested too. Most of what I could find on the internet were about $1 a bead which is way too much. Thanks to all of you! Jan
    ...See More
  • roseblush1
    11 years ago

Rosefolly,

I agree. I only have one birdbath and a tray on the ground for other animals. I change the water every morning and evening. There are too many vile diseases carried by mosquitoes.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, yes, I think that water attracts wildlife even more than food.
    I quit spraying because I had a pet duck--diazonon is very toxic to birds. Yeah, bugs exploded for for awhile, but then the lizards, toads, & frogs took over & pest predation radically declined.
    Here in a desert, I keep 2 large 300 gal. tubs, netted, with goldfish, 2 large plant platters on the ground, with rocks in them so little birds can bathe & drink safely, plus several more containers, changed daily with fresh water.

DAILY, I watch deer, a fox, squirrels, & scores of birds (sparrows, finches, chicadees, titmouses, wrens, cardinals, mockybirds, doves, even the gorgeous painted buntings) use & enjoy this simple offering.

Such a simple thing to provide, such an appreciated resource.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

You have a beautiful garden, but your kind heart is even more beautiful.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I knew your answers would warm my heart. If the animals could speak I know they would want to thank you, but I know their welfare is reward enough for you. I also change the water at least once a day. I think the little birds bathe in one of the bowls because there's always sand and debris in it.

Gail, you brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    11 years ago

My dad always said to leave water for the wild animals. We have a variety of buckets that sit out with water for the trees and veggies so we don't have to turn the main water on for the lower garden-the shut off is at the house at the top of the hill. And the dog/cat water crock that sits by the house. Of course there is water out for the chickens, all of which get used or dumped long before mosquitoes have a chance.

For years mom hated the crows, but she realized that they harass the hawks, so the chickens stay safer. The crows have discovered the chicken feed and other stuff mom puts out for them. They are pretty careful about getting down on the ground, but it sure makes it easier to accept the crows when you see that they are watching for your hens.

The hummingbirds fly through the sprinklers when we water the lawn, the towhees have seed down low and enjoy the bird baths too.

The best part of gardening is to see how many things enjoy the garden. Birds-bees-butterflies and of course us.

• wintercat_gw
    11 years ago

Love this thread!

My garden is urban, so my wild animals are mostly feral cats. I have a large glass bowl (refilled daily, scrubbed weekly) in my garden for my own 4 cats, and some feral cats come regularly for a drink of water.

Shortly after I moved here six years ago, my neighbour noticed a stray cat drinking from that bowl. She was horrified and asked me why I didn't shoo it away. I told her that unfortunately I just couldn't feed them all, but there's no way I would ever prevent a thirst-mad animal from drinking my water. I think she was worried my bowl would attract all the cats in the neighbourhood and possibly all the cats in Israel's inner plain, but she was jolted into seeing things from my viewpoint and also from the stray cats' viewpoint so to speak, so there was no neighbour trouble about the bowl.

Truth is I was worried myself at the time that my cats might catch something now that their bowl had turned into a communal bowl, but they get all the necessary shots (including rabies), so I think they're pretty safe.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

I've incorporated two small ponds into my garden, both with pumps to keep the water circulating and the mosquitos out. Water features are a multi-sensual addition to a garden while providing a source of water for critters. You can buy pre-formed ponds at HD/Lowe's or just use pond liner. Look in the electric dept for the green, heavy duty garden extension cords. Carefully arranged rocks or a low branch provide a perch for the birds.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

So good of you to bring this up. There is water all over this garden and shelter too in the big ramblers. A garden should be full of life. I think that when life is in balance there is enough for all.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Years ago we had an adopted stray cat who had a cat door into our basement, where he had a bed & food & water. The cat door was theoretically controlled by a magnet on his collar. We had a birdbath in the garden, but only one and it was a high one. Even though we live 3 blocks from downtown, raccoons were constantly going into the basement (I guess they went to the store and bought magnets!). I finally guessed that they might be after his water more than the food, so I put out 3 ground level bird baths, and they immediately stopped going into the basement. So simple. We have a lot of huge bushes & trees in our yard, and zillions of birds, as well as squirrels, the occasional fox, possum, deer, skunk (not seen by smelled), neighbors' cats, and lately tons of butterflies. I love it - when I go out for the paper in the morning there is a huge running and flapping, as the squirrels and crows and other birds take off. Reminds me of that scene in the forrest in Sleeping Beauty. They are all welcome to all the water they want.

Jackie

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Center for Disease Control stated that it takes 3 days of stagnant water for mosquitoes to breed. I change my everyday. My bird baths are plastic, it's easier to clean.

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

I built an above ground small pond a few years ago in my backyard. Sometimes I get tired of maintaining it (although it is not really very hard), especially this time of year when it is sooo hot outside. However, I realize it an important source of water for the birds, so I keep it for them. I have a pump (that is the part that is a hassle) so I don't have a problem with mosquitoes and stagnant water. So, I keep the pond for the birds and that is reason enough. I'm in a suburban neighborhood with block wall so don't get any other animals, other than lizards, although I may have feral cats (my dogs would not like it if they realized cats were in the yard, but they stay inside this time of year!). I feel good that I do it for the birds.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

its a bit of a treadmill though. Now feeding three starving neighbourhood cats, as well as my own, plus the bird feeders at the allotment and now, to my joy (sort of) a hedgehog family has appeared in the garden so there are the nightly trundles about with yet more catfood (which has to be somehow accessible to hedgehogs but not to the greedy hounds currently slobbing about my garden and house....which means precariously poking bowls behind the greenhouse. Sort of a difficult one though, because once you start, there is a bit of an obligation to continue (as the nightly chorus of hungry cats gets into full voice). Costing me a fortune as I am certain they eat better than me (specially now I am on a bloody diet).

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

We have the creek, but when we are in drought, portions of it go dry, so I have two birdbaths, a small fountain out of galvanized tin, and bowls of water for cats, strays and mine. Has anyone else noticed that mosquitoes don't seem to lay eggs in galvanized tin? There are never any larvae in the fountain or in a small galvanized tub which is painted red. At first, I thought it might be the red color they didn't like, but then noticed there were never any in the fountain either.

I also feed a stray tomcat that is deaf and blind. He sees light and dark but that's it. I also have a possum and raccoons that steal cat food whenever they can. I didn't know it, but the possum was living under a huge piece of cardboard that I keep to block weed killer when I'm spraying. When I discovered him, I chased him out of the garage with a broom. He got about five feet out in the driveway and seemed to realize, wait a minute, I live here! Then he turned around and came running and hissing at me. Let's just say I'm glad there were no witnesses to my retreat. It involved screaming and running. DH finally chased him out. I would adore some hedgehogs. They are one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

• bluegirl_gw
    11 years ago

'sniff' there are so many kind folks here. But I think garden lovers in general are compassionate.

Kippie, the hummers here will actually FLY UP TO YOU & SOLICIT a shower when you are spaying plants with a hose. My dad told me about it when he was watering his peaches. But I had it happen to me for the first time recently. They hover about head-level, 4 feet away. You squirt them with a fine spray & they'll hover in it, preening, then fly off for a shake-out. Then they come back & repeat 2-3 times.

"farewell, farewell! but this I tell to thee, thou wedding guest:
    He prayeth well who loveth well both man & bird & beast.

He prayeth best who loveth best all things both great & small.
    For the dear God that loveth us hath made & loveth all"

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

It must be quail birthing time. Just yesterday driving down my driveway ready for my commute to work, I had to stop my car while 2 quail parents, and a seemingly endless line of about 2" tall baby quail followed across the road. They were SO DARLING! I've never seen such tiny quail chicks.

In this crazy desert summer weather, I have to hand water my garden daily, and have two low 5 gallon plastic feeders in the shade that I refill daily for anything that wants water (plus one bird bath). It's a lifeline for the feral cats that have adopted us, and I know we have plenty other wild visitors that sneak up and imbibe.

Great post Ingrid. This is a really critical time for wildlife in areas without natural water sources.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Love that everyone remembers the needs of the wildlife :) I guess, as gardners, that comes with a love of nature in general. I always keep a birdbath filled with water in front of my front window and love to see the birds drink and bathe in it. You reminded me that I need to also put out a tray of water for the ground animals...

Tammy

• mariannese
    11 years ago

I live near a large lake so I don't have to think of the needs of larger animals like deer, hares and foxes or the occasional wolf but in hot summers I fill a shallow dish with water for butterflies and other insects. It has to be in full sun and with very little water or they'd drown. Alas, this summer has been extremely rainy so I refill the bird baths only to avoid mosquitos breeding in them.

Other summers we enjoy watching magpies bathing in an oblong stone jar, meant for bonsai I think, but we fill it with water. It's the only bird bath deep enough for magpies and they take turns in it, patiently waiting in line. Most people dislike magpies but they are intelligent and amusing birds.

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

I hate to add anything negative to this wonderful thread, but feel a need to suggest a bit of caution about feeding / watering feral cats and wild animals. Obviously, I have mixed feelings about it because I do put water out for the birds.

If there are reports of rabies in your area, it would be very wise to use caution.

Last year, there was an article in our local paper about a lady who had consistently fed the feral cats around her home. One of the cats she had been feeding for years rushed her and bit her. It had rabies and she had to undergo treatment.

I live in the mountains and love the wildlife in my garden more than I can tell you. Since reading that article, I no longer feed feral cats, but I just have to put out water.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You raise a good point Lyn and I also wouldn't consider leaving food out for any animal. If nothing else they become habituated to the food and then you'd have to keep doing it. I'd rather they fed on mice and gophers anyway. Water left away from the house is a different matter and it doesn't encourage the feral animals to become friendly as food would.

Ingrid