Monday's Trivia Quiz

Jasdip

Doing this is good for the mind, body and soul. It can change your perspective, bring on great insights, reduce anxiety and give you energy. What is it?

A: Walking

Today's question is

Vanilla flavouring is obtained from what plant?

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lucille

vanilla orchid (bean)

1 Like Save    
Rusty

Yup, what Lucille said.

Rusty

Save    
Raye Smith

Wood, flavoring is not the real thing.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

IDK but I hope the plant didn't get frozen like the electricity plants did in Texas. I'd have to end it all if I couldn't have freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

2 Likes Save    
jim_1 (Zone 9A)

Ya know, I walk a lot. From one bar to another. The bartenders keep giving me reasons to 'move along fella'!

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

^^^ Smile

I once got kicked out of the bar in my basement!

2 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Direct from WSJhttps://www.wsj.com/articles/the-case-for-plain-vanilla-gets-its-day-in-court-11612724626?mod=searchresults_pos1&page=1

Vanilla flavor historically came from beans found in the pods of a
finicky tropical orchid, grown in countries including Madagascar, said
Kantha Shelke, a food scientist who teaches at Johns Hopkins University.
Due to high costs and fluctuating supply, many manufacturers now
instead use “natural flavor,” a catchall term for flavoring that uses
ingredients including those derived from plants. Natural vanilla flavors
are often made from wood pulp or using fermentation technology
, Dr.
Shelke said.

Save    
Judy Good

Well I guess we all know the answer now.

2 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

An orchid

Save    
Lars

I agree that flavoring does not come from orchids - only vanilla extract comes from orchids. I was not aware that the flavoring was made from wood, however.

Save    
blfenton

Real vanilla spiked in price a couple of years ago when Madagascar had a major storm wiping out a lot of the plants. (that's what I read anyway when I googled why did the prices of vanilla spike)

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Research on making natural vanilla from corn fiber is also very promising

Save    
donna_loomis

Certain type of wood (thank you Alton Brown). An alternative, is also produced from anal glands of beavers.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"An alternative, is also produced from anal glands of beavers."

Crikey!! No thanks!! And the wood derivative doesn't sound much better. I prefer to use the Mexican vanilla extract that my landscape contractor brings back for me each year after his annual wintertime visit.

And how can it be natural vanilla if made from corn fiber???

Save    
donna_loomis

Just make sure that your Mexican vanilla does not contain coumarin if you are taking a blood thinner.

Save    
Lucille

anal glands of beavers.

There's got to be a very interesting story about how, exactly, that was discovered.

1 Like Save    
donna_loomis

Said the caveman: "Ugh. Hey, look Glarg! Me lick beaver's butt! Better than woolly mammoth balls! Want some?"

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

And how can it be natural vanilla if made from corn fiber???

Last time I checked corn was not synthetic.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! It is not the corn that is at issue. 'Natural' is defined "as existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind". Since no corn product tastes anything like vanilla in its existing state, it stands to reason a lot of human intervention and creativity is going in to this process. Therefore by definition, it is not natural vanilla. Natural vanilla can only come from the beans/seedpods produced by the vanilla orchid!!

You may be able to get artificial vanilla flavor from corn (as apparently one can do from wood products) but you cannot get natural vanilla from corn.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

LOL!!!, this article in Forbes doesn't agree with your opinion gardengal.

From the article:

“The vanilla bean is limited in supply and the problem is that it can't be produced on a scale that the markets require,” Klein says. “Corn fiber is very abundant and we will be able to produce natural vanilla at a much lower cost and a much larger scale.”

The world has so far been making up for the shortage of natural vanilla beans by synthesizing vanillin, the primary component of the vanilla bean, largely from (believe it or not) petroleum.

In order to make vanilla using their new method, Klein says they will extract an ingredient from corn fiber called ferulic acid, which is then fermented to make vanilla.

“This is the same process that vanilla is made within the vanilla bean itself, except we are able to do this outside the vanilla bean, which significantly reduces the cost” the Wisconsin-native says.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

If it is synthesized or created in a lab then it is NOT natural! You cannot have it both ways. Whoever wrote the article was in error.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

When did fermentation = synthesized?

Synthesized from petroleum = not natural

Derived from corn fiber = natural

Vanilla beans also must go through an extraction process using ethyl alcohol to make the finished product. Does this make it not natural too?

ETA: Sorry for the derail Jasdip!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World Houzz Tour: Scandinavian Reboot in a 19th-Century London Home
This beautiful family space combines traditional features with contemporary details
Full Story
Life Celebrate Earth Day! 7 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Try a couple of tweaks to save resources at home and then set up your kitchen for a rise-and-shine Monday
Full Story
Most Popular Three Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story