Did you get your second Covid vaccine?

Alisande

I'm getting my second shot tomorrow. With the first, I felt achy all over in the evening, then slept 10 hours that night. Felt fine in the morning, but by afternoon I felt fatigued. I know side effects can be worse with the second shot, but I'm also told they're less likely to be severe in people over 65. (I'm 77.)

If you've had your second shot, how did it go?

SaveComment82Like
Comments (82)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ci_lantro

Yes, second shot of Pfizer on Saturday. DH experienced chills for a few hours after both shots. Both of us thought the area of the injection site was more sore after the second dose.

3-4 minutes after both, I had a feeling like I was developing a sinus headache. First time I thought perhaps anxiety? Had the same thing happen after the 2nd shot. Was gone before we left the facility after the 15 minute observation sit both times.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Alisande
kathyg_in_mi

We got our second last Friday. DH just had a sore arm. I had the sore arm, but on Saturday I had a headache and just didn't feel right. So I took a nap and felt a lot better after it.

Save     Thanked by Alisande
morz8

We had the second yesterday. Both of us have a sore arm, just a little bit of an annoyance is all. DH feels fine as I did right up until about 4 PM. Late this afternoon, about 24 hours after our shot, I began feeling not quite warm enough wearing shoes, socks, sweatshirt and jeans. I wouldn't call it as severe as chilled. No energy. I took a nap in front of the TV with a quilt and a microwave flax pillow, ate a little dinner.

I don't feel unwell or sick, just not quite 'with it'. My temp is normal. I think I'll warm up a flax seed pillow again and go to bed with it early, watch TV there. Or sleep, either would be fine ;0)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
Elmer J Fudd

I think I read that reaction rates and intensity differ between the two different versions. More so with the M type than with the P type.

lily316

With the first shot, I didn't even have a sore arm. I don't get the second one(Moderna) till March 6 so I'm hoping for the same reaction.

sal 60 Hanzlik

With my first only a slight sore arm--second shot arm was sore for about 24 hours but no other side effects. I may have been a little tired the 2nd day. (P)

salonva

We got our 2nd Pfizer on Monday. As with the first shot, my arm was kind of sore for about 24 hours ( but not crazy sore, just kind of tender). I was concerned about the 2nd dose, so deliberately took it easy that evening and following day. Honestly, other than the injection arm being somewhat sore, I had no symptoms or reaction. DH was the same way for both although I think actually for the 2nd, he had even less ( 1st was pretty minor).

I have heard as Elmer has that M seems to yield a bit more reaction and I have definitely heard that for the older folk ( myself included) reactions in general are a lot less.

My son in law who is under 40 and in great shape had to get in bed at 8 the first night, and the following day said he felt like he had the most awful flu. By the next evening though he was fine. (he got moderna)

maddielee

My husband and I had our 2nd (Pfizer) on the 14th. Both of us felt a little ‘off’ the next day.

What was strange was that 8 days later my husband had a few hours of dizziness. And then on my 9th day after (yesterday), I was dizzy for awhile. I’m part of a group that is tracking reactions, and others shared the same experience.

olychick

Moderna - have had both shots without any reaction of note.

lgmd_gaz

Had my second (Pfizer) last Friday. Just a slightly sore arm that evening. The next morning it was nearly gone. It was the same with the first shot. Dh also had a slightly sore arm the first and second injection. After the second injection, he did mention that evening of having a few hours of feeling chilled which is very unusual for him. He is blaming the shot for that.

Debby

Second vaccination? I think I'm at the bottom of the list for the first vaccination. Canada has been so slow with the rollout we may never leave our homes. Alberta premier has been dawdling along with it all too which doesn't help. I think my husband is in part B of the rollout as he's over 65. He should be able to get his first shot in April or May. I'm looking at June or July if I'm lucky.

satine100

I had my second Pfizer yesterday afternoon. Had no reaction to the first one but this morning I slept in and am feeling a bit of fatigue. Just going to take it easy today and nap if I want.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Still waiting to be called for the first jab here too. I registered about 2 weeks ago. At the time the county website said they were still administering Phase 1A and had started Phase 1B tiers 1 and 2 but the date on that release was a month ago. I checked the site again this morning and there is no new status update. I'm in Phase 1B tier 3 and I may get the first shot in a week, a month, or who the he!! knows when.

Would a weekly status update be too much to ask?

chloebud

I'm interested in this feedback since our second Pfizer shots are on 3/5. No problem at all with our first shots. We have several family members and friends who did well with both shots. However, everyone's different so we'll see what happens. So far, getting an appointment was the most difficult part.

Rose Pekelnicky

I am pleased to read that so many have had the vaccine with no iIleffects. I just got my first dose this morning (Pfizer)

2 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

As a young baby-boomer with no relevant health issue my state has changed their prediction to November before I will be eligible to get a vaccine. But that's if they don't move children to the front of the line.

Save    
matti5

I got my first shot (Moderna) last Wednesday. The only side effect was a sore arm for 4-5 days. While we waited our 15 minutes post vaccination, we chatted with the nursing staff about side effects. The consensus from their own experience, as well as others was "You feel like you have a hangover from drinking cheap wine." lol This feeling was more so with the second shot for both Pfizer and Moderna.

ladypat1

maddielee First and second shot went fine(Pfizer) but at day 3 of second shot I got a bad case of dizziness. I am on day 6 and am still dizzy, waiting to get into PT so they can do the Epley Manouver on me for dizziness. Dont know if it is a side effect or coincidence.

maifleur03

I too am waiting for my first shot. Received an email that stated I had it and check the date of the second. Any problem to email the person. Have emailed twice with no response. I have also stopped receiving reminders to sign up for the shot so I think someone made a mistake when they notated what was done or in this case not done.

KCMO is now using HCA as the medical location and are referring people so I went and signed up there yesterday.

blubird

Had my second Pfizer almost two weeks ago. No side effects other than the typical sore arm, which is still tender. Husband is getting his second Moderna on Friday.

morz8

Alisande, day three now since my late Monday afternoon second shot. Which was Moderna by the way. Other than some discomfort in my arm, I'm fine. With the way I was sagging at about the 24 hour mark, I went to bed early and dozed/watched television from about 9PM - almost 9 AM this morning. I did get up about 3 AM and took two tylenol.

DH had no problems at all other than some tenderness in his arm, we had our injections at the same time. He's twice my weight, I don't know if that makes a difference or not with all the vaccines being a universal dose. Not at all awful though - if I'd had responsibilities that had to be met I could have done it. I wouldn't have had to give in to the fatigue.

There is no possibility I would have skipped the vaccinations. Or, that I would have waited until I could make a choice in which vaccine we were given. The first shot that came up as available to us was Moderna and I'd do it again in a heartbeat ;0)

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I got my first Pfizer and had a very minimal arm soreness when I turned over in bed that night. Nothing else. My second shot is March 10. I agree that the hardest part in all of this was just getting that first appointment. My second appointment was made on site, minutes after the first injection. I lucked out to get a pharmacist who shot me and she was just great and told me what to expect and what may or may not happen. This was all done at one of our hospitals and I'm happy I got to go there rather than a drug store setting. All in all, it's been a very good experience.

sjerin

Dh had his second Moderna a week ago and felt lousy for 4-5 days: headache, slight fever, body aches, fatigue. Not serious of course, but not fun.

chloebud

"My second appointment was made on site, minutes after the first injection."

murraysmom, our second appointments were automatically scheduled when I made the first ones. The email confirmation they sent gave us the dates for both shots...2/12 and 3/5 for the same time of day. Here's hoping the effects of the second Pfizer are as easy as the first!

Lars

My first shot (Moderna) was Feb 8, and my second shot will be March 8, and so I have to go back to L.A. for that and will stay there for about six weeks when I go. I have doctors' appointments later in the month, and I wanted to wait two weeks after my second vaccination to go to the doctor, just because I could.

My arm did not get sore after my first vaccination, but I did develop a rash shortly thereafter, which appears to me to be like psoriasis or possibly eczema. Anyway, it is very irritating and interferes with my sleep. I have a dermatologist appointment on April 7 - the earliest appointment I could get - and I wish it were sooner, but I will see my regular doctor on March 22.

I have no idea whether the rash I have is related to the vaccination, but it did happen soon after I got it.

pekemom

Just got the second Pfizer at the mall parking lot..drive up, like the first time.

Husband had a sore arm both times, I didn't even have a sore arm either time.

My husband is 73, I'm 74.

Lindsey_CA

@Lars - My dermatologist and his staff all received the Moderna vaccine, and the doc has reported that some folks do develop a rash around the injection site after getting the vaccine. He said it usually goes away in a few days, though.

1 Like Save    
mollycats

I've had both of the Moderna shots, 1/18 and 2/19. First one, only thing I felt was a bit of tenderness in my arm. Second dose I felt sluggish for 3 days and a little light headed off and on. On the second day my legs from the knee to ankle chilled for a couple of minutes, then was gone. I'm still bewildered over that one.

chloebud

"...but I did develop a rash shortly thereafter, which appears to me to be like psoriasis or possibly eczema."

Lars, I know someone who developed a pretty severe, itchy rash after her first shot (Moderna). In her case, the rash looked more like hives. It wasn't easing up so they finally gave her prednisone which helped but not completely. They've advised her to skip the second shot and get the J&J vaccine. She's also 92 that could have come into play.

Annegriet

Yes. I had Moderna. I felt nothing with first shot. The second shot, my arm was sore. The nurse told me to drink A LOT of water so I did. I started to feel sluggish and a slight headache but I just kept drinking the water. I went to bed and slept great.

jemdandy

I got my 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday, 19 Feb 2021. I had no reaction to either shot. The only effect was some soreness at the needle puncture. That makes me wonder if I already caught the virus last summer when I had a series of severe pains where large muscles attached to the bone.

chisue

I hope you are all good DRINKERS! I'm going to be sure I'm well hydrated from now on, especially for my second Moderna shot March 5. I've just had bad kidney function test result at the cancer clinic yesterday because...I was dehydrated. I got a huge bag of saline there while I had my MM infusion, and I drank well the rest of the day. Guess who did not have leg cramps last night?

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I am scheduled to get my first injection a week from tomorrow. No idea which one will be offered!

maifleur03

chisue talk to your doctors. It may have been the salt in the saline solution that stopped the cramps rather than just being dehydrated. Drinking water unless you drink too much is an excellent idea but if in a week or so you have cramps again call your doctor.

2 Likes Save    
Alisande

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. As it turned out, I didn't get the second shot as scheduled. My cardiologist advised against it because I was experiencing an irregular heartbeat---and had been for 10 days. It wasn't because of any anxiety about the shot; I think it was a culmination of a bunch of factors, including four years of worry about the state of our country and its divisions, which got worse and worse, and exist even now. Living alone, keeping on top of the news, and spending way too much time in my head for almost a year hasn't been a good thing.

Anyway, the doctor wants me on a Holter monitor for 24 hours soon, and then I'll see about rescheduling the shot.

LadyPat, are you feeling better today? I hope so. Dizziness is so unpleasant.

5 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I wish we could get our first one! Not happening any time soon here. It's so screwed up. We are on every list I can find.

FinallyHome

Just got my 2nd Pfizer shot. No issues with 1st except very sore arm.

Eileen Lamparelli

Just got the second Pfizer today and I have a sore arm. No other problems so far.

ladypat1

Alsande Thank you for asking . NO still much dizziness, did get into PT and they did the Epley Maneuver for BPPV. I do the drunk walk when I get up in the morning and gradually get better through the day, then start over again the next day. I am thinking it is not a side effect of the covid vaccine.

Save    
Alisande

I'm sorry to hear that, Ladypat. It sounds awful. I wonder if propping your upper body up in bed would help. Might not be easy to sleep that way at first, but worth it if it helps.

1 Like Save    
whatsayyou18

DH and DDIL, both health care providers, have each had both doses of Moderna. DDIL was sick in bed with both, DH cruised right through with no ill effects.

undertoad

We had our second Pfizer shot nearly three weeks ago with no reactions whatsoever, not even a sore arm. We certainly don’t believe it’s a ticket to party wildly, which at our age (70s) would probably mean staying out till 10:00 PM, but I did get together with about a dozen fully vaccinated friends outside on one of the two beautiful days we’ve had since the deep freeze. It’s a good feeling. Alisande, we’re going to be watching for updates about your Holter results.

Eileen Lamparelli

24 hours after the second shot I did have a slight fever, chills and a sore throat and fatigue. It lasted through the day and now I am back to normal.

wildchild2x2

ladypat1 I know you didn't get the Moderna vaccine but on their website they list dizziness or weakness as a possible severe allergic reaction. The CDC also considers dizziness a serious post vaccine reaction with the advice that a health care provider should be called right away.https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/videos/coronavirus/expect-after-getting-COVID-19-vaccine-transcript.pdf

Alisande

I'm back to deciding what to do about my second shot because the Holter monitor has been scheduled for March 9, and it would be too much of a delay to wait until that's done. I really don't want to start over with another "first" shot.

I went through something similar with my heart when I was in perimenopause and I've started doing what helped me then, including progressive relaxations (yoga nidra) every day. In addition, I've cut myself off from the news, and have been sticking to that. I don't know how Lester Holt and Chuck Todd are managing without me! I've been feeling a lot better than I had been. So as far as the second shot goes, I think I'm going to Just Do It.

4 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

Alisande - you don't have to start over, the shot is the same whether it's the 1st or 2nd. As for delays between shots, it's being studied and so far they aren't seeing any negative issues. Many officials are considering getting more people vaccinated by only giving one dose to as many as possible and wait until mass vaccination to give the second dose.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-it-safe-to-delay-a-second-covid-vaccine-dose/

sjerin

Glad to hear you figured out how to make yourself feel better, Alisande. I've had to cut myself off from the news for a few days now and then, but not lately. It's such a relief to not be tense all the time and waiting for lotsa shoes to drop. I find watching comedies, often older ones, helpful to my state of being. Is there any way you could meet a friend or family member at a park for a walk? I find that helpful, as well.

Alisande

Thanks, Sjerin. Not yet for the walk, but I do need exercise. I've been neglecting it badly. I'm going back to dancing in my kitchen, like I did at the beginning of the pandemic. ("Alexa, play Paul Simon (or AC/DC)." lol)

But I did get the second shot today!

2 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I hope all goes well, Alisande

hounds_x_two

Still trying to get my first one!

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw

We finally got our second shots of Moderna today. We were originally scheduled for last Saturday but they didnt get their vaccine. They did eventually get not only this weeks but last week's. Kaiser is vaccinating 26,000 people in my state (Wa) today. I am over the moon. Such a relief. I will let you know if I have any side effects but I am sure it will be fine. No matter what. It was well done both times. Lots of organization and very well managed. We were diverted to a different clinic than the first time since they were doing first timers at the original site. Oh hooray. I am high risk and so ready for this opportunity.

Save    
maddielee

I’m happy to hear you got your 2nd shot. Alisande. The peace of mind that comes with getting it can help with your stress.

Alisande

Thanks, Rose and Maddielee. Yes, it's a good feeling to have gotten it done.

Hounds, I wish you luck. Maybe the arrival of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will help.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

still waiting to hear when my group will be served. have called to get on several lists, but they warn it's 'going to be awhile.' DW got her 2nd moderna shot last week [health care worker] and so it shouldn't be coming home with her. she had a somewhat sore injection site, and a bad headache the second day [saturday]; was fine next day.

sheilajoyce_gw

I got it today. I was told that any reaction would show up 10 to 14 hours later, if I recall correctly. It has been 10 hours, and so far so good. Can't wait for everyone to be able to get theirs.

Raye Smith

Good news, the J&J vaccine has been approved and shipments have started. Hoping this will relieve some of the backup and speed the process. I'd much prefer to have the one shot and since I live in a rural area I'll have a better chance of getting a shot that doesn't require extreme storage temps.

Alisande

Sheilajoyce, by now it's been about 16 hours for you--and same for me. I feel fine. But I don't think we're necessarily in the clear. This article from a health system that owns several hospitals in this region says, "Side effects of the vaccine typically occur between 24 and 48 hours after you receive the injection."

Geisinger article

Save    
samkarenorkaren

Ha! I cant get 1st shot cuz of my age and im healthy. Maybe by June

Ded tired

Had my first Moderna yesterday, the second will be in four weeks. My injection site is tender, just like the regular flu shot. My mother, age 103, goes for her second tomorrow. If the elderly have fewer reactions, she will be good! I’ll stay with her for a few hours to be sure. I’m certainly glad to be on my way to being fully vaccinated, but it will be quite awhile before we are all mask free. I plan on using hand sanitizer forever, as well as increased hand washing.

joyfulguy

No first jab yet. ole joyful (

My first ever one-line message?)

patriciae_gw

So we got our second Moderna yesterday as per above. Today I have similar tenderness in my arm as my first but DH is getting all the symptoms. Fever, chills, headache, muscle aches etc. He was more sore the first time. Still we are thrilled to have our vaccine, but will not stop masking and taking precautions.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting for your jabs.

Annie Deighnaugh

Wahoo! Just booked for 1st shot this Friday. Yay!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
Elmer J Fudd

Yes, we both had #2 a few weeks ago, the over 65 bracket opened in January. We're all set but for reports of new strains apparently beyond the effectiveness of the current vaccines. Wait and see time.

maifleur03

Wait and see indeed. Other than people being infected with the new strains with the health organizations urging caution it raises warning flags for me. I was already worrying about additional damage to people who had the previous strains. I have a friend who was left with heart and lung damage from the virus. Only forced oxygen no intubation.

It is already known that there will be people who never will be able to return to what their normal was so the new strains should increase that number. A red flag to me was the announcement that parts of Brazil were going back into lockdown. From what I have read about the previous lockdown kept people off the streets with stuff delivered to them by the local security forces.

Save    
Alisande

Figured I'd update to say it's been two days and other than a somewhat sore arm, which I hardly notice, and maybe more fatigue than usual (although it's hard to tell), I've had no reaction to the second shot. I suppose this could mean I have a wimpy immune system--or likely it's busy dealing with my chronic Lyme and Babesiosis. My age is probably a factor too.

A family member in her 60s got the second shot the same day as I, and the next day she experienced all the unpleasant reactions. Fortunately, she felt a lot better this morning.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw

Moderna is already working on an update. I expect we will be having to get boosters. When I was a kid and we were all getting vaccinated for Polio we always seemed to be getting something new. So it goes. Nothing to fret about so long as we can get them. So far as I can tell we would be protected from serious issues if we got it and that for me is what I will be happy with. I will continue to act as if I was infectious to others and hopefully they will return the favor.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
maifleur03

One of the concerns that will keep me home although not as much is the various statements I have seen that the new strains are no more damaging that the first one. To me that translates into the health concern is still there but doctors know more about how to treat the virus if a person develops one or even more of the new strains. No where have I read that the new strains are less serious than the previous ones.

Save    
patriciae_gw

The vaccines are supposed to protect you from serious damage. Both Pfizer and Moderna have had no people who got the vaccine who had serious issues after getting the virus.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I've been home about an hour from getting my second Pfizer vaccine.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Sore arm with both Pfizer doses. Slightly more sore with the second one. No other issues.

ci_lantro

J&J is able to ship only 4 million doses for now so it isn't going to be widely available for a while.

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it is allowing undiluted frozen vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to be transported and stored at conventional temperatures commonly found in pharmaceutical freezers for a period of up to two weeks. This reflects an alternative to the preferred storage of the undiluted vials in an ultra-low temperature freezer between -80ºC to -60ºC (-112ºF to -76ºF).

“Pfizer submitted data to the FDA to support this alternative temperature for transportation and storage. This alternative temperature for transportation and storage of the undiluted vials is significant and allows the vials to be transported and stored under more flexible conditions. The alternative temperature for transportation and storage will help ease the burden of procuring ultra-low cold storage equipment for vaccination sites and should help to get vaccine to more sites,” said Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research.

Save    
sjerin

The pope was happy to get the vaccine and strongly encourages all to do so.

Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Had my second today at 11 a.m. Feel fine so far. If I push on the injection site, it does hurt, though.

Save    
Debby

According to the news, I should be able to get mine by summer. We will see. If the first roll out for the seniors is any indication of how poorly our provincial government is doing these, I may wait until near the end because they had seniors with walkers standing outside in the cold with their walkers waiting long after their appointed times to get theirs, and it was below freezing outside. I don't do lineups.

Yayagal

We got our second one yesterday and stayed in our car. I had the best night's sleep in over a year as I felt a huge sense of relief.

chloebud

"I had the best night's sleep in over a year as I felt a huge sense of relief."

We're getting our second shots tmw. Hoping for the same!

kadefol

We haven't even had our first vaccine dose. Our county of more than 55.000 has only received 2600 vaccine doses since Jan. 30th, all of which (rightfully) went to medical personnel/first responders, and left over doses were administered to nursing home residents/long term care facility residents. The rest of us may get vaccinated in summer, if we are lucky.

Annie Deighnaugh

Got my first shot today. Wahoo!!

chloebud

Second Pfizer dose done yesterday. Our arms are more sore than before but that's about it.

lily316

Second Moderna this afternoon. So far not even a sore arm. The first one produced no side effects. We'll see tomorrow when some get aches and chills. A doctor friend of ours spent the second day in bed after the second moderna shot.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

When I got my 1st dose on Friday, I was given information about the CDC's app for reporting side effects, called V-safe. As part of this, the CDC will contact you via the app to ask how you are, any problems, any illness.

I hope that any of you who have had side effects (I had a rash the next day, that lasted about 16 hours) have downloaded it and are participating. This is how we can help to know just how effective the vaccines are as well as the issues people are having with them.

Alisande

Raee, I tried to use V-Safe via my computer, but apparently it works only with phones. I have a phone, but still don't use it much as I don't have a cell signal at home.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Pets So You Want to Get a Cat
If you're a cat lover, the joys outweigh any other issue. If you haven't lived with one yet, here are a few things to know
Full Story
Organizing Get Organized: Are You a Piler or a Filer?
Tote out the bins and baskets and learn how to be an organized piler if file cabinets leave you cringing
Full Story
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More
Pristine Acres is committed to offering the highest-quality, most professional landscape design/installation... Read More