SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Are you eliglble to get the Covid vaccine now? If so, have you?

Tina Marie
3 years ago

I just saw a piece on the national news about the vaccine. Here I believe we are still in 1a or maybe 1b groups eligible to receive the vaccine. There have been shortages. My sister is a health care worker, but she does not work for a hospital or medical office. So she had been out-of-luck on getting the vaccine. She was finally able last week to get one at a health department in a county that she travels to, not in her home county.

The Mr. and I won't be eligible for a while. His mom got her first dose and gets the second dose later this month. Praying that she will listen and realize that you can still get the virus and will still need to be careful. We have had a hard time with her even before she got the vaccine.

My brother (50) is in a physical rehab center and he has received both doses, but he got Covid in between his doses! Thankfully, he had a mild case but still felt pretty rough for a few days and has had lingering fatigue.

How is it in your area?

Comments (95)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

DH and I got our first last week. I got Pfizer on Wednesday and he got Moderna on Thursday. We are both in our state's 1b category, although DH will be 1a near the end of March. I am waiting to get an email next week telling me to set up my next appointment which should be around March 2, but DH got his first at a smaller venue than mine and they set up his second appointment right then.

I will be glad when we have had both even though I know we still need to wear masks and maintain social distance. I am looking forward to next fall when things should be better with most of us vaccinated.

Tina Marie thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Related Discussions

Would you participate in a Covid vaccine trial?

Q

Comments (28)
    I would totally do it, if I qualified. I would love to help our country on the road back to normal! I don’t think I would qualify for an efficacy study, though. I think in my area they were looking for people who might have a really good chance of being exposed (i.e. college students, teachers, etc.) Since I don’t work outside of the home, and I live in a little town with low numbers...I don’t think I’m the best candidate.
    ...See More

Have you heard pets getting Covid?

Q

Comments (19)
    I just had my dogs teeth cleaned and a tumor removed at the vets this past Monday. Honestly, their protocols were more strict and their office more clean than some (most) of the clinics I have to visit for work. They will most likely have you wait in the car until they can bring your dog in, they may or may not allow you to come in as well. My Vet checks people out while they are still in the room. If I’m buying medication, they bring the meds and the visa machine out with them to my car. Everyone is masked, they have air purifiers in every room. I don’t know if it’s just my vet who’s like this or most all, but I really appreciated their attention to the details. Wear your mask, try to stay socially distant, wash your hands as you’re able and you should be safe. As for your dog, way back in the very beginning I heard about 1 dog they believed had covid, but nothing was ever confirmed and I’ve not heard anything else to suggest it is an issue.
    ...See More

I got both Covid vaccines. Then today I got a Covid test.

Q

Comments (35)
    Arkansas Girl, weeks later? Do you remember where you heard that? When I experienced some fatigue four days after my second shot I looked up delayed reaction, and the only thing I found was a reference to four or five days, especially for those who reacted with a rash. In my case it would have been about two weeks, and then the reaction lasting over a week. That seems unlikely, but thanks for the thought. Debby, it started about two weeks after the second shot but it's still going on a week later.
    ...See More

Now that more people have had the Covid jab...

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm curious which vaccine you had and what side effects you had (if any) with the first and/or second shots? DH just had his first Moderna and I get my first 'not sure what kind' tomorrow. So far he has a sore arm - bad enough that it kept him awake until he took some ibuprofen. A friend of mine also said her arm "hurt like hell".
    ...See More
  • ccrunneroklahoma
    3 years ago

DH and I got our Moderna vaccines on January 14 and February 12. The second dose was scheduled for February 11 but due to icy roads was rescheduled for February 12 so we got the shots just before the snow storms arrived and all the vaccination sites shut down.

Tina Marie thanked ccrunneroklahoma
  • lobby68
    3 years ago

Technically I am qualified for the vaccine, as my work is what I shall call frontline worker-adjacent. But we simply don't have enough vaccines in my area to move to this level. Other parts of the state are doing better and I was able to get my staff in my other office vaccinated. I did get an email we might be ready by next week. I'm very excited.

Tina Marie thanked lobby68
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

As of today MN now has a statewide Covid vaccination registration system for everyone. I signed up for DH and me. We're not yet eligible but hopefully when we are this will somehow streamline the process of finding the first available opportunity for the jab.

Tina Marie thanked 3katz4me
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Here in So Cal I was suppossed to be 1B(according to my doctor-that's what they thought in December) , then they made it 1C, and they're very far from administering it, they're still on 1A I think. And first tier on 1B. 65 plus.

My 82 y.o MIL only last week was able to get her first dose appointment finally, and she has all the shebang-diabetes, heart disease and lung disease. We waited for several weeks from announcement to actually getting an opening.

As for me, I continue to receive encouraging letters from hospitals how much I'm on their mind lol.

In short I think it's a hot mess here. sorry.

Even though several of my friends did get vaccinated-either as caregivers to their elderly relatives, or because of where they work.

My DD got vaccinated too, because she studies/works in the lab/hospital. it's in NY though.

Meanwhile I got already three invitations to come and get vaccinated. from my home country, during January-and they've no idea about my underlying conditions, I didn't have time to share my misery there, I got coverage a week before I flew back

No, I can't fly there to get vaccinated, not now-they closed the borders, because vaccination is going great but cases, on the other hand, are not doing great yet. At all. They're in very strict lockdown. And my Mom has another worsening in her condition and this uncertainty and lack of any control over ability to actually come if needed is really getting to me.

I'm pretty mad about all that as you can probably tell

But at least I'm less worried about my family there, in terms of Covid. My Mom got 2 doses, and my brother and SIL each got one I think

Tina Marie thanked aprilneverends
  • Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

April, it sounds like you left Israel at the wrong time, and I am sorry for you for that.

I did get my first vaccination (Moderna) on Feb 8 at a UCLA facility in Santa Monica - I'm not sure what the name of it is, but I know the address. I had to go to an auditorium for the vaccination, but it was a very small auditorium, and there weren't more than a few dozen seats, which people used for waiting 15 minutes after being vaccinated. I had an appointment, got there 15 minutes early, and did not have to wait more than a minute or two. They also scheduled my second shot, which will be March 8, and so I have to go back to L.A. to get that. Later in March I will see my regular doctor and my dermatologist. I have a rash that I am afraid might be a reaction to the vaccine, but that is just a guess on my part. It seems like eczema or psoriasis, which I think are related to immune responses.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Hm, it's as if they heard me..I just got a letter about how they start with vaccines in a month-on March 15,- for people with underlying conditions

I hope my doctor will be my advocate, because mine, while plenty, are not so clear-cut. Say I am immunocompromised-but not from an organ translplant, ecetera. They have a list there. I can copy paste here if somebody's interested. This letter is from Sedar-Sinai. I'm also a patient in UCLA , and in Orange County. They all mention in their numerous letters to jump on any posibility to get it btw, not waiting for them specifically, because they don't know things for sure.

Tina Marie thanked aprilneverends
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Just got back from going through a snow storm to get DH his first shot. Next shot will be 3/11. So glad to have that first step done!

Tina Marie thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

DH is supposed to get his second dose next TH, but they said they would send him an email a few days before with a time. I have an appt for Friday, but no one is sure how this past week of weather and power nightmares will be handled -- will they push everyone out a week, work double to get the folks from this week worked in or what? Just hope they didn't lose doses when the power went out. That would just add to the misery. After a year of COVID, it and the vaccine are taking the back seat, but we probably need to work on vaccinating all the more to aid in safe recovery efforts. What a mess! Stay warm, y'all!

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sueb20 I just now read your post about your dad! I hate to hear he has come down with Covid! I hope his symptoms continue to be mild and that you do not get it. I worried so much about this with my dad. They called us the morning after he passed away to say that they had a resident who had tested positive.

• zepherine1963
    3 years ago

NYS

I became eligible 2/15 (underlying health conditions) but no appointments at all available in my area either online or by phone since before then. Hardly surprising as they have still not completed the first groups yet and are still catching up on appointments they had to cancel as there were not enough vaccines allocated.

The person I spoke to on the hotline today said the closest place in NYS to me to get an appointment is over a 5 hour drive away. I don't think I will be getting scheduled any time soon!

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

I’m not eligible yet , but soon. My husband went for his 2nd shot today. We are on the Fl east coast, husband had an appointment and was in an out in thirty minutes.

• honibaker
    3 years ago

I'm over 65, so eligible in Wisconsin, but heard nothing from my primary care HMO. I stumbled on the Walgreen's site on the day they opened registration for shots, and got my first on 2/12 (Moderna). Got it in my dominant arm, and afterward exercised a lot (shoveling snow, arm weights, etc) which seemed to prevent any soreness. Go to another nearby Walgreen's 3/13 for round two. Very grateful it was so easy and handy (2 miles away, no waiting). Of course, my behavior (mask wearing, distancing) will not change for months, but plan on meeting 2 other vaccinated friends in March.....can't wait!

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Tina, thanks. I was hoping he was “out of the woods” having been vaccinated but I think he probably had it before he got his second shot on Fri., based on how he looked when I saw him the day before. He seems fine now (based on phone contact) and is mostly mad that he’s in quarantine once again. Poor guy. He’s so social, the quarantines are really painful for him.

I tested negative but following guidelines, will stay put for another 7 days.

• chickadee2_gw
    3 years ago

Def tired, did you see this about PA? Seriously, aren’t these vials labeled!?

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/lansdale/many-2nd-doses-moderna-vaccine-mistakenly-given-1st-pa

• Mars SC Zone 8b Mars
    3 years ago

I feel like the vaccine will do more harm then good.

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

Why Mars?

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

Yes and scheduled for 1st dose next week. My 98+ Mom got her 2nd dose a few days ago. I braced for the worst after hearing 2nd dose side effects. She had nothing. 1st dose was tougher on her. Unpredictable it seems.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Mars, are you a virologist or immunologist? If not, your opinion means nothing.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Mars, if you have read and can understand any of the science behind these vaccines, you should feel very good about them. The methods used to develop them has been used before and doesn't involve live or dead viruses like older vaccines have. There is no way you can get COVID from them and aside from allergic reactions that can be an issue for a small number of people with any vaccine or medication, they have been demonstrated to be unusually safe and effective. The falsehoods and misinformation that have been circulated are what does more harm than good.

• denali2007
    3 years ago

I received my first Pfizer vax 2 weeks ago and receive my second dose next week. I got through our school system who is vexing all employees. It was amazingly organized and quick. It felt like I was on a conveyer belt. Had a little bit of a sore arm but the more I used it the better it got.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Lars, somehow I see you comment only now-happens recently a lot that I see comments hours after they've been posted, or even days.

I'm happy you were able to get first vaccination! Things are moving, albeit very slow.

Frankly, yes, I left at a wrong time-but then,who knew for sure..and also, I was already completely bonkers, and wanted to see my kids and family here.. it was all very uncertain, planes only started flying out, I could come here-but they couldn't come there...

I wish everybody and their loved ones to stay safe and healthy.

• chinacatpeekin
    3 years ago

I live in the Bay Area, and have Kaiser insurance. I am in group 1b, because I am 70; to get my appointment I waited on hold for 10 hours (not exaggerating!) and happily my persistence paid off.
    I got my second Moderna shot yesterday, with mild side effects after each injection.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I’m in NY but not near any large city. We were very lucky in early January to get an appt in mid Feb for my mother (over 75) and she finally had her first shot this week. They haven’t had enough vaccines to give the essential workers and over-75 groups here, so opening it to the over-65 and pre-existing condition groups just made it impossible to get an appt for anyone. I think the people here who already qualify will be really lucky if they get any vaccine before the end of April. I believe I’m in what will be the last eligible group, so I figure mine will be in August.... and only if vaccine production really ramps up a lot from here.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

I will get my second Pfizer shot on Wednesday at a local community center. Although I'm a Kaiser member, they had nothing...until yesterday when I finally got an email to make an appointment. I don't need it now, but it means someone else will get it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Is anyone in a state where it is going to people under 65, or is it only those with underlying health conditions and health care workers?

• jrb451
    3 years ago

My state is currently vaccinating 1b, (70+). We’re in 1c. We got a text yesterday alerting us to openings today and to register quickly if we wanted it. Unable to make it out of our drive because of the snow. Had to decline. April is the estimate for opening vaccinations for our group. Darn!

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Some states have started with teachers and other essential workers, but this varies widely.

NC is doing P-12 teachers right now, and other essential workers and higher ed start early March, which is when I will need to try to get DH an appointment. I am a lesser priority since I am higher ed but work remotely. He is in the office every day, and although they wear masks and use HEPA filters, he feels he is pressing his luck. Only thing in our favor is cases are falling somewhat with percent positive down, and the older persons at the 55+ community where he does closings have been pretty much vaccinated, though some couple the other day just flew in from Florida for their closing.

This is why I volunteered for the vaccine trial because I assumed it would be months most likely since I would be able to get the vaccine. I’ve had two injections, 2/3 chance of getting vaccine vs. placebo (I think I may have gotten it but not sure) and they will do a crossover design, where everyone will get the opposite of what they originally got, so everyone will be vaccinated.

MIL got her first dose yesterday, so yay.

This NYTimes chart shows what groups are eligible by state. NC doesn’t show teachers because they start this week.

NYTimes chart

• deegw
    3 years ago

CO has been giving it to teachers and childcare workers as of 2/8. No age or health requirements. I think it is 1B2. The next phase is frontline essential workers and people under 65 with two underlying conditions. No word when that phase will open up.

My school district was supposed to arrange appointments but it was a mess so I just stalked some websites and made my own. Kroger grocery store pharmacy, 2/14, Moderna. I had a sore arm and was very sleepy on Sunday night but no other issues. Kroger automatically scheduled my next appointment as well.

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

In my state, teachers are eligible beginning on 2/24. I have an appointment for 2/26. I'm glad to be able to be vaccinated as I have underlying lung issues that would make Covid potentially very dangerous for me.

• nini804
    3 years ago

@jmck_nc are you in NC? I ask bc I am and I think that is what I understand as well. Is it teachers and other frontline workers like grocery workers, pharmacy workers, etc? I am soooo happy teachers are getting the vaccine! And I am so happy you have an appointment for yours! 💕

• hcbm
    3 years ago

NY has allowed educators and support staff to be vaccinated since January 11th. February 15th they started allowing grocery store workers, delivery people and I think public facing restaurant workers.

I am surprized by the number of educators I have spoken with who are refusing vaccination, because they incorrectly think it will change their DNA and give them cancer or covid.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Yikes, HCBM, "educators."

• olychick
    3 years ago

I had my 2nd Moderna vaccine last night. I was all prepared to be feeling poorly today, but so far...nothing...nada. My two friends who attended the same clinic...one was laid low, the other just not feeling too well, but better than her wife. My arm isn't even sore. I'm questioning whether I even received it, lol!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I tend to think people believe such nonsense because they believe everything they read on social media. No one under 65 in MN unless they work in healthcare or education. Underlying conditions don’t qualify you under 65. There aren’t enough doses as it is so I understand why they aren’t yet expanding eligibility.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@3katz4me I think you may be right. I noticed an older lady on FB a while back say she would not get the vaccine because “she did not want them to put a chip in her arm!!! There were others commenting who agreed ! It’s sad because she is probably near 90 and I hate she is not getting the vaccine.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

TX is is currently doing 65 and over or 18 and over with a higher risk condition. They estimate that group to be near 9 million. Teacher MIGHT get in line in the next group.

• runninginplace
    3 years ago

Starting Tuesday our public health hospital will offer vaccinations to the 55+ age cohort with pre-existing serious health conditions. And the neighboring county's mayor is proposing offering shots to over-55 people with no conditions. In the case of the hospital, I have registered folks several times online and have definitely noticed what they say is happening: appointment slots that used to fill in 2-3 minutes are now open for an hour or so which indicates people are getting vaccinated.

I am cautiously hopeful the promised flood of vaccines and web of outlets (pharmacies, groceries, federal centers etc) is indeed beginning to take effect.

Anecdotally of the 7 women in my local friend group the 5 who are over 65 have all had at least their first shot and have appointments for the second if needed. My dad and husband, both 65+, have been vaccinated too.

• nosoccermom
    3 years ago

I’m in MD, currently phase 1c, which includes all kinds of groups, eg grocery workers, clergy, construction, anyone related to education, incl maintenance, cafeteria, admissions, continuity of govt., people with disabilities, with underlying health conditions.

To add to confusion, county depts are still at 65+ only for 1c.

While eligibility has increased, supply hasn’t.

• jill302
    3 years ago

Also in So Cal, I do not qualify yet. It will likely be months. My in-laws who are in their 80’s are having their second shots this week. My daughter is a teacher, should be eligible next month. Very glad as she has Type 1 diabetes and I would be very nervous about her returning to the classroom without a vaccine.

Very disappointed this week, a friend‘s 30 year old daughter lied that she was a medical provider and she was given a vaccine. This was at a local super site. I wonder how many other people are sneaking through before their turn, taking shots away from the elderly.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I thought I'd have to wait until April, but the Guv just moved up the phases so I'll be eligible come 3/1. Yay! DH gets his 2nd shot on 3/11.

• lobby68
    3 years ago

I think right after this last week, I got the email invite for mine. I go in an hour!

Everyone I know who has gotten the second shot has gotten quite ill. My daughter was down all weekend.

• olychick
    3 years ago

lobby, the only people I've know who've gotten ill are younger people. All the oldsters I know have had few symptoms after the vaccine. I read, I think in the Atlantic, that because younger people have a more robust immune system that their bodies summon the forces to fight off the invaders in a more dramatic fashion, causing more symptoms.

• roarah
    3 years ago

Our state just caved to the teacher’s Union and kicked other frontline workers, like store clerks and those with pre existings to the curb and have decided to give teachers starting March 1 along with people 55 and up the next slots then March 22 those above 45. Then April 12 th above 35 and in May everyone else.

My husband will go next and since I work in a school I do too but I feel so bad for all the essential workers who have been working since March while teachers only went back within the last few months and some are still fully remote.?

This is really first thing my governor has done during covid that I am not happy about. This really hurts our minority groups who are already at great risks.

my parents had their second shot over a week ago and had zero side effects.

• westsider40
    3 years ago

I got both Pfizer jabs with no side effects whatsoever.

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

Rorah, I agree about essential workers who have been working all along. I feel like we are this far into the school year so we should stay remote/hybrid/in person until June, just as we have all along since schools do not seem to be a major contributor to spread. I'm sure no matter who is prioritized someone will be unhappy since there is simply not enough to go around. I'm almost mad at my mom's assisted living facility for giving residents shots since they have not made any changes to the very tight restrictions placed on residents. It seems like those shots should go to people who are out in the world if they are not going to improve residents lives with some improved visitation, etc. It is all a huge ethical dilemma!

Nini, yes, I'm in NC too!

• maddielee
    3 years ago

”Everyone I know who has gotten the second shot has gotten quite ill. My daughter was down all weekend.”

My husband and I had very mild side effects. Most everyone I know also had mild or no reactions. We had Pfizer, many of our friends received Moderna. I wonder why the difference?

• salonva
    3 years ago

Happy to say got our 2nd Pfizer doses today. As i have said before in other threads, I felt like it was a scavenger hunt. I followed every rumor, signed up every where I could. When it seemed that I really got us appointments I was still thinking it wasn't going to be.

The only good thing i can say is that at least for us, the dispensing was so incredibly well run and orderly. We had 12:15 appointment , got there about 5 minutes ahead, waited maybe 5 minutes and got our shots. There were no long lines, but a constant steady light flow. It seems they have it together. They don't really examine what time your appointment is but just confirm that you are scheduled for the day. That way it flows nicely.

So , so far only a little soreness on my arm as I had last time. Hopefully that will be it.

YAY.

• texanjana
    3 years ago

I got my second Pfizer vaccine today. It ended up being rescheduled from last Monday because of our winter storm. I had some side effects from the first one, and have a headache this evening. Hopefully that will be my only side effect.

DD is a teacher in another state and found out today she gets her first vaccine next month. She said that several teachers at her school refuse to take it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz