SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geen777

Kitchen - to do Pure white or not?

Geena O
3 years ago

We are thinking to repaint the cabinets to get a more airy and bright feel. I would prefer to use a white paint but I am overwhelmed by the options out there. Also the greenish hue on the wall and the yellowish counter tops are making me fret over a white that will work with these. To add to the dilemma, the island and butler pantry has black granite tops. I would like to repaint with a color which would bring out the cabinet detailing and wear well over time. Thinking a weathered look maybe nice, but that is secondary to the paint itself I guess. Would love to hear ur ideas!

Comments (47)

• Sammy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You’re looking at SEVERAL thousand dollars to have those cabinets painted. Are you sure it’s worth it? I mean, do you otherwise LOVE everything about the kitchen in terms of functionality and design? If it were me, I would not paint the cabinets. Instead, I’d pick a beautiful new backsplash, new wall paint, a beautiful window treatment, new lighting, new giant sink (how about white?!) and maybe a new fabulous faucet, new hardware, maybe replace the microwave with a hood...those sorts of things. You could even add a secondary prep sink!

Don’t get me wrong: I have absolutely ZERO qualms about painting wood, so it’s not that...at all. I’m just thinking of what can I get the most bang for my $10k with.

• Related Discussions

An Aesculus with pure white leaves - what to do about it?

Q

Comments (7)
    its rare.. but not unheard of.. in horticulture in general .. enjoy it.. study it ... and it will go away on its own ... we call them TERMINAL WHITES in the hosta world... with no chlorophyll ... unless they green up.. later in the season.. they will die ... can you tell if its off the big tree.. or a seedling??? .. the seedling will die for sure.. but even an all white bud/branch off the big tree.. will eventually fail ... and its not worth grafting.. since it will be terminal .. ken
    ...See More

SW pure white vs SW extra white

Q

Comments (51)
    Amy Sivley, we had our cabinets painted Snowbound with extra white on all the trim. They look like the same color. Its a very stark white. in certain lights the snowbound has a pink hue & the extra white has a blue hue. way to bright for me but I’m stuck with it we did Pure white on our ceilings & love it. I wish i would have picked something that doesnt blind me when I walk in the kitchen. all our trim throughout the house is bright white & Im trying to pick a white for the walls & having trouble.we did Cedar Key in a few rooms & that looks great but I want to try white.
    ...See More

Best white subway tile to go with Sherwin Williams Pure White 7005

Q

Comments (10)
    Amy Glasscock, yes, I have samples of both, and I can go to Lowe's today and get whatever they have. Do you know if the Daltile told by tile stores and the Daltile sold by Lowes or Home Depot are different? I know many products are a different quality in HD/Lowes but though tile would be the same but maybe not. Becky H, the Cloe is beautiful as is your quartz, I'm sure your kitchen will be beautiful. BeverlyFLADeziner, I had known that at one point but had forgotten so thank you for reminding me. Lyn Nielson, good advice about the dye lot, I will do that. I'm kind of dreading those things that I don't notice now but will eventually and once I see it, I can't unsee it and it will bug me! Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Any more comments or advice are welcome!
    ...See More

SW white paint (pure white or alabaster) in new build

Q

Comments (6)
    I have had a really busy week and didn't look at Houzz. Hope what I have to say isn't too late for your decision deadline. When deciding on cabinet color you want to choose something that works with the counter you are choosing and works with your overall color palette. Pure White is one of my favorites for cabinets because it is just slightly warm and doesn't limit your other choices as much as either Extra White (more cool / gray) or Alabaster (warmer/ more yellow) If you knew you loved fall colors, warm gold, greens and burnt oranges, I would say Alabaster would work better with the overall palette. That is not what I am hearing from you and not what I am seeing with your other finishes and flooring choice. I think Pure White (left) is much prettier with your flooring than Alabaster. I think Pure White is prettier with Taj Mahal than Alabaster. Pure white will be easier to work with than Alabaster as you make other color decisions for your home. Here is a picture of Taj Mahal with Alabaster and yellow walls. It is a lovely combination. I think pure white would have been too white with the yellow walls and golden floors and may have felt stark, too modern. This is a kitchen with Taj Mahal counters and "Pure White" cabinets. Not specifying SW Pure white, but what I would expect Pure White to appear next to Taj Mahal.
    ...See More
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I agree with both above comments. The color of the Cabinets are fine. They’re pretty! The things I would faster change are:
    The detail on top of the cabinets. I would extend the cabinets to the ceiling( if you can get the same color...) new backsplash ,countertop and lighting. New hardware would also go a long way. All of which would probably be equal to or less than repainting. Great space btw!!

• threers
    3 years ago

I would not paint the cabinets but rather invest the money in more up to date lighting: fixtures, bulbs, dimmers, under the counter lighting...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I had my cabs painted.

for a pro to paint yours you're looking at 6-8K. that's a lot of prep and a lot of detailed trim work.

Have you had any estimates? be very careful who you hire. you need to check references.

First off, you need to change out your lighting. the canned bulbs should be at 4000K. right now they're too warm and give off warm tones, which give everything a yellow hue. trying to choose a white w/that lighting will throw off the actual color.

I'd also switch out your island pendant to something lighter looking. The heavy tuscan look triple light would look better with something lighter, or two pendants.

If people would have looked at my kitchen cabs, they'd have said they were pretty too. they weren't. the finish was worn and needed to be done. I was tired of the darker wood and wanted something brighter. my granite was similar to yours

as for the color, what paint will they be using? you want it sprayed back at their shop. quality sprayers will use a lacquer conversion or something akin to that.

I wanted Simply White done on mine, but I believe after the conversion, the color wasn't as bright. so they did a shade whiter.

I also had all of the corbels, rope / fluted trim removed to modernize the look. I had other modifications done (drawers in the island) micro moved, vent hood, soft close, etc. I actually went with refacing of the doors/drawers because it was only 2K more ( I have a side of pantry cabs you can't see). MDF panels are better for painted doors. plus, i had both slab and shaker drawers. I wanted them to look the same. refacing was a no brainer. as for price, it was not cheap. well over 10K for everything (they custom made the vent hood, I did the wood work) .

I notice you have a lot of lower doors. they are horrible for storage. maybe you want to have some drawers put in like I did (on the island or maybe under your stove top).

so much better for pots/pans

Extra white is really white. Pure White might be better. Or, BM Oxford white is a really good one

I wouldn't do a weathered look. if you want something a bit warmer, go for the Simply White. I have it on my walls and trim and it's the perfect, neutral white.

grab some samples and try them out so you'll see how they look in your room.

I'd consider redoing your granite. (you can leave the black on the butler area) Redoing them in your main area/island, would look better. you can leave off the 4" piece so you can do a tile backsplash. Do a simple white quartz, a marble look, or something in that realm.

you could also do as others suggest and leave the cabs as is (if you really love them) and change out the countertops and do a nice tile splash.

up to you. I changed mine because I was sick of them after 15 years. maybe you are too. either way, I'd switch out the countertops. (and forgo the corbels and do steel supports)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

I'd be very tempted to spend the budget to trade out the counter tops for a white/marble quartz, white backsplash and leverage those wood tones. Because it's pretty and so are the cabinets. Search for white and wood examples on Pinterest.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I agree with the others, leave the cabinets, they look to be in very nice condition, replace the countertops, and paint the walls. With new countertops, do not put that 4 inch backsplash on the back and put in a nice backsplash instead. It will cost less than painting those cabinets, white, which wont look good with that countertop anyway.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Although I LOVE white cabinets, I wouldn't paint yours. Your concerns are valid. With your current counters, white is not going to look good. Instead, spend your money ripping out the counters and get new warm white counters and a backsplash that goes from under the upper cabinets all the way to the counter. No 4 inch strip. While changing your counters, get an under mount single bowl sink. Your kitchen will be so much lighter.

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much for all the ideas! I agree painting cabinets is an ordeal so now I am reconsidering with the options you all shared. In the meantime here is a sample of another kitchen with yellow granite like ours but has the white cabinets too. Any idea which paint this is? It looks like a clean (no hue) bright white

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am thinking to get quotes for painting and another quote for just replacing granite. Lights we are now totally convinced need to be changed.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

@Geena O - No idea what the paint color is. No one will know. However, imo, that kitchen is nothing I would copy. Old fashioned granite,, old fashioned pendant lights. old fashioned and incorrectly placed backsplash. It looks like someone tried, but failed. It's very outdated. Your kitchen would look much better than that one by just getting a new "warm white" counter and backsplash.

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

You say you want to show off the cabinet detailing, but that molding at the top seems unlikely to feature well in white paint. Painting these cabinets will likely lead to you replacing the counters as well.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

You are hearing, but I think your heart may be set on white.

This is a big decisions - lots of $$$ at stake and you have several different options.

Of the things that you have, flooring, countertops and cabinets what do you really love?

I have never been a fan of the yellow granites and I like a full backsplash better than the 4" backsplash.

The black tops with the dark brown cabinets is a very dark combination.

I also agree with Beth that your lighting looks a bit yellow.

I think if I had to make your decision the first thing I would do is get daylight bulbs for all of your fixtures. It may brighten things quite a bit. If you get them and hate the brighter light you can always switch back to what you have and return them.

Get some white plastic table cloths and tape them over the dark and yellow granite. Live with it for a day or two - will it work for you to brighten with just the counters and backsplash?

If not tape them over the upper cabinets, leaving the lowers alone.

Now take them off the counters - leaving the uppers covered.

Next tape them over the island lowers.

Next tape them over all the lowers.

At $5.00 or less each $50.00 worth of plastic table cloths will give you a visual representation of how white will work in your space and the best combination that will satisfy your need for lightening and brightening your space.

Once you have a better idea of where you want lighter and brighter you can tackle the color.

A creamier white would still give you a much lighter feel to the kitchen and might work better with the green undertones of your paint and the yellow countertops.

For really white cabinets SW has High Reflective White - probably the whitest white on the market.

Here is a link to another white white that I have not tried, but same concept as the BM white custom color that I use.

Mandi's white - SW base with White colorant added

https://vintagerevivals.com/my-secret-formula-for-the-best-white-paint-color/

My white - match to Devine Color Icing is BM white base with just a touch of yellow oxide and a bunch of titanium white colorant - I wanted just a touch of warmth, but a brighter white than any on the paint strips..

Formula for a gallon of BM Advance

Y3 0x 07500

W1 Ox 31.2500

• Boxerpal
    3 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen.

How much do you have to spend on a reno? If it were my kitchen I think I would update some of the counters, backsplash light fixtures and paint the walls. I would try to keep the cabinetry. I love the detail on the top of those cabinets. I also like your black granite, I would have it leathered rather than replaced. Of course a white light quartz could brighten up the space beautifully. If you do paint the cabs, keep that crown detail it will be really pretty and unique.

leathered black granite

Addition: Kitchen · More Info

The Hills Remodel · More Info

Elegant Contemporary Villa · More Info

Bainbridge Beautiful Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Geena, that white color you asked about looks like a neutral bright white. neither blue or yellow toned. It just depends on what paint you're going with.

this is one that was painted more of a brighter white, but leans on the warmer side. (you don't want a cool white)

There are many before and after shots of wood cabinets and your granite.

another poster on here had hers painted

Can't remember which white she used. could be White Dove or Simply White

This kitchen had the dim lights like you have. I believe she changed the ceiling lights, but not the under cabinets lights. they're still really yellow.

This white paint looks like Alabaster or White dove.

Here are some other gold granites and white cabs.

This one looks more like an Antique White

or a warmer White with glazing

BM White Down. It's a warmer white

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/edesign-painted-maple-cabinets-a-gorgeous-off-white-makeover/

if you go to Kylie M Interiors, she has a lot of articles on painting cabinets and white paint. This is one she painted.

She said she used White Down on those cabs.

But, then she posted a pic of this white right below, which is BM Cloud White. So, I'm not really sure which is which in the photo

warmer white. Alabaster, Dover White, Linen white, Creamy,

This is more of a brighter white. Not a cool white, just a brighter white than those warm whites.

Kylie offers an e-design to help you choose paint colors. you can read about it here:

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/product/quick-easy-online-paint-colour-consultation-e-design-cabinets/

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Super helpful ideas Beth and Boxerpal, thank you! White down and Westhighland white does look interesting. Beth- I might just go ahead and take that e-consultation from Kylie just to make sure this goes right, thanks a ton for that suggestion

• User
    3 years ago

I'm all for painting those cabinets and getting new countertops. I think it'll really transform that kitchen. however, I think the carved parts might look weird once you paint them. would you be open to swapping out the top trim and supports under the bar?

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ilovemod I actually like those features and think it makes them unique. You are right it’s not going to look good with bright white, I probably need to sway towards a creamy white.

• Ac Lb
    3 years ago

@Beth H. You mentioned the painters you hired sprayed the cabinet doors at their shop. How did they paint the base cabinets? Did they spray, roll, or brush those? Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ac. Oh they sprayed here at the house. masked off everything and tried to contain it behind the big plastic sheeting. (luckily all the flooring was getting replaced and I was painting all the walls after this kitchen was done. ) If you go this route, I'd cover everything nearby in heavy plastic AND canvas sheeting

it's a low mist type of paint spraying, Not like your regular paint spraying machine that sends out a huge cloud.

This was my old granite. obviously they sprayed first, then I had the countertops.

• Ac Lb
    3 years ago

Thank you! Your kitchen turned out beautiful!

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth did you change ur appliances too? The black goes really well with white kitchen. Love how ur kitchen turned out!

• cupofkindnessgw
    3 years ago

I love your kitchen too Beth. This is a great thread, Geena I cannot wait to see how everything works out. I haven't read each and every comment (so someone else might have posted this) but one suggestion is to find a window treatment that will create a straight line above the arched kitchen sink window between the two wall cabinets and hide the top of the arch. I love arched windows and I have two full wall height windows very similar to that window but I think above the sink it competes with the beauty of the cabinetry. I'm a white kitchen lover but if I had those cabinets, I'd get white countertops and a simple backsplash. Great comments from everyone!

• User
    3 years ago

Geena O, yes I think a creamy white will work better with carved embellishments.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Your cabinets and choice of dining table and upholstered white chairs are on the traditional side and complement each other. Changing the countertops to white/ivory with a possible pattern would further enhance some of the feeling you have.

Forest Retreat Kitchen · More Info

Forest Retreat Kitchen · More Info

Consider more modern lighting over your island with same metal finish as your dining pendant.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

Following

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Geena yes. I wanted the matte black. new fridge/wall oven (both GE Cafe) and Micro (profile). That SS Samsung fridge had to go. had issues w/it. The Cafe fridge is amazing, especially w/the fruits/vegetables. something about the air flow. food stays in there twice as long as the other.

• User
    3 years ago

Beth, it appears you had the same samsung that I have. it's the worst.

• Ilove MyLife
    3 years ago

Don't touch those cabinets! Change countertops to cream white with pattern as all have suggested. Cover that window arch with upholstered board.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Note modern lighting over island. Metal finish should match pendant over table.

White island, but everything else wood:

• roarah
    3 years ago

I thought I wanted painted cabinets(green) in my next kitchen but I think it was more that that was what I kept seeing in other homes and shelter blog and here. Once I started to search more up to date wood cabinet kitchens the more refreshing they became. I agree that you kitchen as is is so unique I think painting it will lessen some of that original detail. Wood cabinets are not dated it is the other elements, especially the lighting that dates the look.

I would leave the black counters but replace the perimeters with a white quartz or marble. Maybe instead of a four inch backsplash add a tile one. Add modern pentants and wait on painting.

Here are few more inspirations to add to boxerpups.

Love this lighting

I really like brass hardware on dark wood

• Geena O
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love all the ideas here..thanks all! @ Beth yes that fridge sounds perfect..someday when I change out,will check this out, thank you.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

@Beth H. Oh no. I just ordered a Samsung refrigerator. 😳. Originally we ordered Whirlpool, but it's on backorder since December. I love your new refrigerator.

• hatethecold_gw
    3 years ago

LizzieBorden- save yourself aggravation and cancel if you can. We have a Samsung frig and dishwasher and they are both awful.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

@hatethecold_gw. Sadly it's too late to cancel. We bought a french door, ss, without bells n whistles. We did not get water n ice on the door or inside. We prefer filtering our water from under the sink. Did you have a lot of extras on your refrigerator?

• hatethecold_gw
    3 years ago

Lizzie, we had water inside that is it. Fingers crossed you have better luck than we

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

Thank you hatethecold_gw me too :))

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Lizzie, if you research samsung and LG fridge's, you'll find they have the worst ratings! in the samsung, there is something wrong w/the heater coil that keeps the tube from freezing. (they didn't make it long enough) If you start getting water in the back of your fridge (on the inside) and in your vegetable bins, it's that issue. we you tubed how to fix it and it required removing the inside back panel and sticking in a copper metal piece into the tube (hard to explain. you can look it up). literally costs nothing, but it took a good hour. very common problem. you'd think they'd make a longer metal piece??? nope.

plus, the fruits and the veggies would get mushy after a few days in the bins (especially berries) with this cafe fridge, the tech told me it's because the air is circulated differently. (i'll spare you the details) so my berries will sometimes keep 2 weeks in those bins!

such a difference between the two.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : Thank you for that info. I should put it in a safe place. I wish I knew before. Originally, I ordered Whirlpool because I wanted to buy American and was told that service is better and parts easier to get if necessary. Then I was told we wouldn't have it for quite a while. This Samsung looked very roomy inside which is what I liked about it. The salesman said that because it didn't have the water and ice on the outside of the door, that it was a safe choice. We did purchase a warranty, but I will keep that info you posted handy. We had a problem with our Jenn Air stove in previous home and found the answer also on YouTube. It saved us hundreds of dollars. Thanks again.

• Marci
    3 years ago

Please don’t paint that wood. The cabinets are beautiful, and the carving won’t come out as nice painted. I agree with the other suggestions of brightening up the area with wire countertops, a light backsplash, and extra lighting.

• User
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :LOL. you just described my Samsung fridge! Months of hair pull8ng until my husband found that fix. No problems now. 🤞🏼

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

lizzie, rtpaige,,,,,yes! it's so common! it's called the 'heating element' or something. basically extends down into drain pan that keeps the evaporation condensation flowing (the metal element heats up in the drain and keeps the water from freezing solid) Well, for whatever reason, Samsung doesn't make the metal element long enough so the water won't freeze.

like this. if you remove the deli trays, you'll see water and ice. this is how you know you have this issue!

pay attention Lizzie because this is what you may have to do! Remove the entire back panel

see the black line that funnels down into the metal tray and into a hole?

Thats where the water freezes and backs into your fridge.

fabricate your own metal heating element from copper, so that's it's

long enough to reach into this hole!! That's it! the thing it's hanging from is heated, the copper (just a thicker piece of copper wire that you can cut yourself and fit into the hole) conducts the heat into that tube and keeps the evaporation from freezing.

so easy, but yet it happens ALL the time w/these things.

here's one video showing how to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSMF6Sj70

this one is from 2017, and my fridge was from 06 or something! so, apparently, they haven't fixed it!

lizzie, yes the fridge is huge. I do miss that since the Cafe is quite a bit smaller. but I have another fridge in the garage so it's not a big deal

Hopefully they fixed this problem in the newer models and you won't have to go through it. but if you do, at least you know how to fix it!

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : Thank you so much for posting all this for me. I have saved it in my Kitchen Idea Book. That was very nice of you. I was reading a dilemma I posted months ago and I saw that you helped me figure out how to properly hang pendants over a kitchen island. I saved that too. We have a closing date of March 5th, so eventually I will be hanging pendants and will use that info. If there is any chance you could check out my dilemma's (I have a whole houseful), please let me know. I could really use your help.

• User
    3 years ago

Lizzie Borden what I hated about my Samsung is the layout / organization is the worst I've ever seen, the shelves sag, and the freezer drawer sticks. I could go on and on. (ours is model RF20HFENBBC). it looks like their newer designs resolved some of my problems. we haven't had any technical issues (yet), fingers crossed.

it's funny, I always assumed vegetable crispers just don't really work. I never had a good one! we just try to eat our veggies as fast as we can.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

Our model is Model #RF28T5001SR. I’ll be on the lookout for sure for any issues. I guess we will be buying only as much fruit and veggies as we can eat in a couple of days. 😊

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

the way the tech explained it, is the air that's cool comes in from the freezer or something, and circulates, but because of condensation and the way they do circulate it, it chills the fruit/veggies, and then warms up,,(warm meaning warmer than the cool air from the freezer) . But he said w/the Cafe, they used diff air circulation in the bins so that it's not getting super moist cold air,,,,or something like that. heck, all I know is my blueberries keep for 2 weeks now! w/the other one, I was lucky to get 3 days before they turned fuzzy.

• Lizzie Borden
    3 years ago

@Beth H. Wish I had known sooner. If and when I need a new refrigerator I’ll definitely look at the Cafe, because of the great review you gave it Beth, and because it is really a good looking refrigerator.