SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denissereyespharmd

SW pure white vs SW extra white

6 years ago
I'd like to paint most of my house white including the same color for trim and ceiling. I'm between two colors SW pure white or extra white. What are the differences between the two? I'm going for an "organic modern" look. Here are some inspiration pictures, my materials and rendition of my kitchen. Thanks.

Comments (51)

• 5 years ago
    i went with pure white. i love it. although i painted my exterior extra white. for the interior i chose the less stark option.
  • 5 years ago

I'm going to try extra white on the ceiling and the trim and pure white on the walls. Keeping my fingers crossed

• Related Discussions

SW Alabaster vs Snowbound vs Pure White

Q

Comments (8)
    Please help me find the right colors: I loved reading the comments on this subject. I'm in process of painting my dark maple kitchen cabinets white. I'm sticking with sherwin williams brand because I get a substantial discount and I like the brand. My kitchen has a soft white tile floor that has very faint grey and creamy swirls. Backsplash I have is 6x6 tiles that are medium/dark brown swirls. The kitchen is u shaped and small so im thinking white cabinets will brighten it up. BUT, I'm having trouble deciding the perfect color for cabinets and walls. I have it down to 3 choices... alabaster, aged white and creamy for the cabinets. Haven't even gotten to the color for my walls. Can anyone help? P.S. the room next to this is the living room which has a medium hue that looks tan with a yellow/golden warm undertone. It to flow nicely.
    ...See More

SW GREEK VILLA AND SW PURE WHITE?

Q

Comments (18)
    I've been going through a similar chaos (don't husbands just love it!). But the realization that everything could change once the lighting is installed pretty much threw me over the edge. I decided to go with @funcolors's "The Best White" and am crossing all fingers and toes. Seems we have way too many choices these days. I try to humor myself by imagining what our great great grandparents would say about our quest for the "perfect" white paint color! :-D (Now fretting over which white for trim!)
    ...See More

Exterior Sw pure white or Saw extra white

Q

Comments (4)
    Lori. Thanks. do you find pure white to be too stark? I literally had 12 white paints on my back privacy wall to test out. The privacy wall is Greek villa right now I did that a few years ago and it’s just not white enough for me. I narrowed it down to bm super white and sw pure and extra white. Super white seems to be the brightest white so that def scared me. I don’t want stark in your face white and that is what I am scared about with the extra white. I was just scared the pure would have too much gray but maybe it is Just appearing like that next to the extra white and the yellow walls on the house.
    ...See More

Can SW Origami White work with SW Pure White trim?

Q

Comments (86)
    Hi! Yes, I think Bona high traffic. Or maybe that was the sealer they used. I think they used Dura Seal. Just found this sample sheet in my kitchen draw. We used the middle sample. QC 11 Hope this helps! We put a matte finish on the floors. Very little shine to it. It’s great but note that if you go that route. You can’t really scoot things that would scratch across the wood. It removes the matte and you will see a sheen streak in the right lighting or angle. Just a heads up if you go that route. Not too big of a deal, if you know in advance. We pic up and slide anything a tad heavy. Pads for bar stools etc.. Best of luck! Lmk if you have any more questions 😊
    ...See More
  • PRO
    5 years ago

you can see the slight differences looking at their CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black) breakdown.

CMYK refers to cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks that mix together to create and print a limited gamut of colors on a printer. CMYK values in no way relate to, can be correlated with, paint colors or formulas.

Same with RGB. RGB is red, green, and blue channels of light that mix together and light up to display color on a device of some kind like your Smartphone.

The values that pertain to paint colors are XYZ, CIE L*a*b* and LCh(ab). D65 illuminant, 2° observer. The illuminant and observer must be specified or else the numbers are all meaningless.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is an old post just wondering if Lori or anyone else can confirm based on their values If sw extra white as trim and sw pure white on walls can work together.

• 5 years ago

Thank you Lori! Just when I thought I had it figured out...that totally does make sense! My struggle is that I’m not a big fan of the Icey tone of the extra white on my trim and feel that when I put any other white next to it nothing is working. For some reason in my house I have windows east and west with tree line lot so the lighting is crazy. I have tried white dove, glacier white, alabaster, brilliant white, sw super white, Oxford white and pure white. Everything appears yellow, pink, or very white. According to the list you provided it looks like bm cotton balls has a chroma diff of .20. Before I go get a sample today in your experience is this a white or is it going to have a yellow tint? Also wanted to mention my cabinetry is all glacier white and I’m not a fan of the extra white trim with the glacier white kitchen So not sure I want to do extra white on the walls in a diff finish. Thank you!

• PRO
    5 years ago

Before I go get a sample today in your experience is this a white or is it going to have a yellow tint?

As you can see, Cotton Balls belongs to the Green-Yellow hue family - it's right there at the end of the yellow hue family, beginning of the green-yellow hue family.

Which means chances of yellowness are lower.

• 5 years ago

Bad news Lori! Cottonballs is yellow against my extra white trim!!! I have tried a dozen whites and nothing is working after looking at all these samples on my wall I’m curious of what the chroma is for SW Super white 6995. They made it for me by mistake it was supposed to be bm super white, but looking at it on my wall it may work. How do I figure out the chroma? Thanks for all your help! These pics are in natural daylight, top is sw super white, alabaste, sw pure white, bm brilliant white color match.

Bm brilliant white, alabaster, cotton balls, pure white, brilliant white again

• PRO
    5 years ago

I’m curious of what the chroma is for SW Super white 6995.

If you like it and think it looks pretty, then that's all that really matters.

The numbers are just a framework to help you find your pretty.

SW Super White is a super, super, super OLD color. SW will still mix it but there isn't a chip in the new or old fandeck and you can't get chips in the store.

So, there's nothing for me to measure to tell you the Chroma.

The only way to find out is to paint out a sample. Let it thoroughly dry and then measure it with a Color Muse. The Color Muse app will display LCh values. The "C" in LCh is Chroma. It runs on a scale from 0 to 100. Divide it by 5 to get an approximate Munsell Chroma value.

• 5 years ago
    Lori - which do you think is prettier on a house exterior: SW Extra White OR BM Super White? I realize both are bright, can vary based on setting, and a matter of personal taste but curious which you think is prettier on a house exterior. Thanks!
  • PRO
    5 years ago

BM Super White.

• 5 years ago
    Thanks!
  • 4 years ago

Hi, I'm going with Pure White for all the 1st floor (wall, ceiling) and Marshmallow for Kitchen Cabinets, and the island in Grizzle Gray, do you think this could work?

• 4 years ago

love it!

• 4 years ago

Walls:Pure white, cabinets: marshmallow, island: grizzly gray. Almost done!

• 4 years ago

Hi @Lori A. Sawaya, thank you for all your advice on this page! After reading your responses, we have decided to go with pure white for our walls, trim, and cieling. I have 2 questions around that.

In our kitchen, we want to paint our island SW Smoky Blue, and our cabinets either a different finish of SW Pure White or Mindful Gray. Which cabinet color will work better with the blue of the island and Pure White walls?

Also, we would like to paint our house exterior white as well. Our initial thought is Pure White. Do you think that will be too stark? If so, do you have another recommendation of a white?

Thank you!

• 4 years ago

@Andrew Stavena, we are plnning on pure white for trim, walls, ceiling as well. What paint products are you planning on? What sheens?

• 3 years ago

I did pure white cabinets, trim, doors in semi gloss. Ceiling in pure white flat. I love it so far. I’m considering walls now in pure white but a different finish

• 3 years ago

H G what color are your walls? we are using Revere Pewter for walls and planning to use sw Pure white for Cabinet, trim and doors.

• 3 years ago

H G can you post a picutre? Considering doing the same!

• 3 years ago

Hello i am going to do all my trim wall celling same white i was thinking of extra white as my home is western one so natural light inside home will be so little and a lil bit small but always see people afraid to use it, please if you could share photos for pure white and for extra white, i am so confused

• 3 years ago

I also like more bright white doors

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am also planning on using SW Pure White on my walls, trim and ceiling in different finishes but I'm having a hard time deciding on a white for cabinets. My island will be BM MIdnight and all of my hardware will be Champagne Bronze. Any suggestions for white for cabinets on the perimeter? My cabinet maker only uses BM so it will have to be a color in that line.

• 3 years ago

@Lori A. Sawaya -- I already chose a paint color for my cabinets (satin) and trim (Semi-gloss): BM Super White. From what I'm reading, it seems like super white walls will be too stark. I have a VERY bright house, lots of windows and natural light so I'm nervous to go with it. I wish I had used SW Pure White for cabinets and trim but these decisions have left the station. Can I use SW Pure white on the walls (in eggshell) with BM Super white trim? Or should I just go with another color all together? I'm so scared and I have to make this decision NOW (like, yesterday).

• 3 years ago

Hello, I am trying to select between SW pure white and SW extra white for the walls and trims. I do not get a lot of natural light in the house and plan to paint a dark blue accent wall. Which color is recommended. For the ceilings, I was suggested SW Eminence Bright White Ceiling paint. Any feedback on this or should I go with the same color as the walls? Thank you for the responses.

• 3 years ago

Love this thread...and would LOVE some advice. We just got done painting the ceiling of a powder room Pure White flat. In the initial stages, was debating between Pure White & Extra White. I'm now having 2nd thoughts on whether we should've gone with Extra White...would it be a catastrophe to now go with Extra White (likely Matte) for the walls? I don't want to have to repaint the ceiling at this point. FYI this room has no natural light and floor tiles are a dark/charcoal wenge type color.

• 3 years ago

I struggled but ended up using SW Pure White for everything. Trim, doors, cabinets are semigloss, ceiling is flat and walls are cashmere and it looks amazing! I would highly recommend it!

• 2 years ago

Karen, Please explain "walls are cashmere" - thinking of doing what you did, SW Pure White everywhere but don't understand what you mean by cashmere? I was going to do the ceiling and walls in flat? thanks.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Wow, I didn't see notification for several of the above posts. Sorry I missed your questions.

@indycindy, Cashmere is a grade of paint from Shewin-Williams. I usually spec lo-lustre for walls and flat for ceiling. Altho you don't have to use Cashmere on the ceiling. Super Paint is another, less expensive grade of paint and works well for ceilings.

I don't ever recommend products labeled as ceiling paint because the color is hideous and you're better off with a better grade of paint tinted to the right color.

• 2 years ago

So I'm wanting to do SW Pure White and while I love the look of flat paint, I have a Golden Retriever who loves to rub her body down the walls. Is Pure White in a flat finish realistic or should I go with a different finish? If so, which one would work best but while still retaining the current look I am going for?

• PRO
    2 years ago

I have two dogs - I get it. No, I would not do Pure White in flat. From SW, I'd probably go for Pure White in Cashmere Eg-Shel. Highly recommend investing in a quart to make sure you like the sheen and test that you're good with the slip of the finish for wipeability.

• 2 years ago

Great, thank you!

• 2 years ago

This thread is so helpful! I'd love any advice you might have! We are building a new home with a large open kitchen/family room with a lot of windows facing east. (The screen porch is on the south side.) It is a colonial farmhouse and we're aiming for more traditional farmhouse than modern farmhouse. We want white on everything (cabinets, trim, windows, interior doors, walls) but I can't decide on which whites for what! I keep reading about the importance of having a warm white in an east facing room. I'm currently thinking (A: Pure White, B. Extra White, or C. Chantilly Lace) for cabinets, trim and ceiling and Alabaster for walls. Any tips on what is best? Totally open to any and all opinions!

• 2 years ago

Are you only looking at Sherwin Williams Whites? Pure White is really white. We love it. But it is on our kitchen cabinets and all our trim.

• 2 years ago

Our cabinet maker uses Sherman Williams. They say they can color match Benjamin Moore; however, I think best if we stick with SW. @Cindy C are you happy with pure white? What style of home is yours? Ours is traditional colonial.

• 2 years ago

Our builder only would use Sherwin Williams. So he matched the Benjamin Williams SeaPearl. We wanted a warmer white because we only had North and South window views in our townhouse. On the bedrooms, we did SW Rhinestone 7656. A lot depends on your floors, too.

• 2 years ago

@Andrew Stavena I'd love to see your Smoky Blue cabinets. What did you end up choosing for your "white"?

• 2 years ago

we are having our oak caninets painted painter said pure white may have bleed through anyone every painted cabjnets SW Snowbound? or use it against SE Pure White trim?

• 2 years ago

Would it look okay painting my ceilings SW Extra White and walls and trim SW Pure White? My contractor said it’ll cost me $2k more to do my ceilings in Pure White.

• 2 years ago

In my opinion it isn’t worth the 2k. We love our 100% Pure White home.

• 2 years ago

Amy Sivley, we had our cabinets painted Snowbound with extra white on all the trim. They look like the same color. Its a very stark white. in certain lights the snowbound has a pink hue & the extra white has a blue hue. way to bright for me but I’m stuck with it we did Pure white on our ceilings & love it. I wish i would have picked something that doesnt blind me when I walk in the kitchen. all our trim throughout the house is bright white & Im trying to pick a white for the walls & having trouble.we did Cedar Key in a few rooms & that looks great but I want to try white.

• 2 years ago

I have Extra White in semigloss on my kitchen n cabinets, trim and doors. my kitchen is open to my living room. i want to paint my paneling but not sure if i should use extra white in cashmere eggshell or go with Pure white. im going for farmhouse and my furniture is beige and linen.

• 2 years ago

Amy, if it was me, id go with Pure white. it just depends on lighting, & what you’re going for. I just love Pure White by Sherman Williams.

• 2 years ago

I would read the flow of conversation above,,,

SW Pure White & Extra White are too close in Chroma to sit happily in the same space.

Alongside Extra White, Pure White is very likely to look a little dirty/greyed.

A minimum difference in Chroma of 0.2, would ensure two whites look crisp and fresh near each other.

This combination doesn’t have that.

• last year

We have decided on SW Pure White for our kitchen cabinets and SW Charcoal blue for our island. Our contractor typically uses BM super white for ceilings and trim however we are concerned it will make the cabinets look dingy. For others who have been in this same predicament -- what color white paint/sheens did you go with for your ceiling/trim and doors?

• last year

Keep it the same, SW Pure White!

• last year

I'm concerned now because my house interior trim is all Extra White. Walls are accessible beige. Kitchen base cabinets are SW Naval. I need an upper cabinet white color. Was going to choose Pure White but with Extra White trim, see that I cannot. I'm afraid cabinets in Extra White will be too white. Kitchen is open to living room. Moderate amount of natural light with plenty of recessed lighting. Thoughts?

• last year

• last year

For anyone wondering if SW Pure White on walls and SW Extra white on ceilings looks ok together-If it’s cheap to do it all one color, do it. I didn’t want to spend 2K extra to do it. It definitely is not super bothersome and awful together. But I notice a difference. It can make the walls look gray in some lighting and creamier in others. But in some lighting it’s completely fine. I’m happy I didn’t spend the 2K on it bc it isn’t an eye sore. But if it’s cheap to do all one color, just do it.

• last year

Here are examples from my home:

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?