SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_189876632

Kitchen Help! Granite, cabinet, wood look tile etc.

Athena Nicolaides
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

Attached are some proposed photos of our kitchen renovation ideas. I am struggling with the floor the most. My husband wants wood-look tile. The tile will go into the kitchen area and the kitchen addition (the red room). The issue is that the wood look tile will go up against actual hardwood floors where the living room is. The hardwood floors will eventually get replaced in the future in a not-so-orange hue. We have narrowed it down to two tiles with my favorite one being the lighter of the two. I know it's a huge no-no putting wood tile up against real wood, but does the fact that these tiles are a completely different color work in this situation? Only about 2 feet max (maybe a bit less) of the hardwood will show up against the tile because it's in the living room and it's usually covered up by a really large red Persian rug. So in my living room, you really only see the hardwood in the perimeter areas of the room.

I had an interior designer feature these photos on her blog and she told me I basically made horrible selections and that I need to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. I'd like some opinions from all of you. Does the floor tile, cabinet, and granite go?? Husband loves granite because of the durability and we've had it for the past 15 years and we are just used to having granite. The cabinet color is Barley from Kraftmaid.

In the photos, please ignore that little wood sample that's up against the granite. We originally selected Honey Spice but I heeded the advice of a designer on here and changed the cabinet color to the Barley stain that you see in the other photos. I have also included photos of the current space that will be renovated so you all have an idea of the space. Basically we are redoing the entire kitchen and the wall between the kitchen and the dining room (where the fridge currently is) is coming down and there will be an island in the middle.

Renovations start in less than a month! I appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks!

Comments (7)