SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gr8daygw

updating a '90's kitchen countertop help etc....x-post

gr8daygw
12 years ago

I have this posted in the decorating forum but also wanted to post in kitchens so linking to the original post. I have found it is so hard to find a granite that will go with natural maple cabinets that are now going into their 14th year. My Corian looks good in the pictures but it's so scratched and I'm ready for a change. I could keep the Corian on the exterior and just change the island out or replace all the countertop. I plan to remove the sink from the island. I had thought about painting the island black but am a little hesitant to do that. They are still pretty nice cabinets and are in excellent condition so that is why I'm hesitant to add paint to the island. But I have seen some displays with the island black and with white spring granite and it looks really nice. I don't know if that is too heavy/busy for my lighthearted kitchen so back to the drawing board. I really don't want to do a black granite, I just don't like the look personally with maple as it seems a little dated to me, too. That combo was everywhere in the mid to late '90's. I still love my backsplash so keeping that, it's relatively new. I hate that my builder would not put all those electrical outlets in the cabinets as I requested him to do but he said it was not "code" and forged on putting them everywhere in my kitchen backsplash. It was upsetting at the time and still is.. Hiding receptacles under the cabinets was indeed being done in 1997 but he wasn't having it...sigh..

So in summary, any suggestions on how to update and granite suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The gray granites seem to look fairly nice with it and have considered Juparana Tier. Would like to stay neutral if possible. We are not moving anytime soon!! Thanks for your help! Link with pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with pictures of kitchen

Comments (3)