SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

New to me home...where do I start?

navi_jen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

It's not my first home design rodeo, but I sold my small 1k home and moved across the country. I'm upsizing and I need help.

I'm about to close on a 3k sq foot, c 1928 home. LR, DR, KIT, 4 bds, 3.5 baths, garage and deck..all original trim and HWF. Please don't judge on the size, POs finished the attic and it's on a very rare city double lot!). Due to my love of antiques and previous homes, I have a fair amount of the hard furniture (dressers, tables), though I'm sure I'm missing some pieces. But, I sold my soft furniture and curtains won't match the new house (and they are old). I do have some 2 or 3 large area rugs, but they won't be enough (and they are too small for my new LR, I think). I think this is the first time I've needed to purchase a real living room furniture set (save a Jennifer Convertible sofa).

I don't really want to hire a designer as I have a good eye (art minor) and have been buying antique furniture for 2 decades (@Brimfield). But I'm not sure about the approach and the order when starting from scratch. I suspect I'll be moving around May 1 (some minor work to be done before I move in) so I don't have a ton of time.

How do I tackle this? Paint? Curtains? LR Set? Rugs? Artwork (I will need more)? Niknacs? Oxygen?

Thanks!

Comments (10)