SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jetset2000

I want to install all porcelain tiles inside my home, where do i start

jetset2000
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

i just bought my first home. a 1 story, 3 bd, 2 bath house, needs a lot of updating. i want to start with the floors first. get rid of the old linoleum and carpet.

i'm gonna go with wood look porcelain tiles, and just had some questions on where to begin and start the process:

1) i just visited a local shop that sells tiles. it comes highly rated. I went today to look at the showroom. They don't actually install tiles, but they have contractors that they can refer me to, the customer service rep gave me some business cards, and it's up to me to call them and decide who i want to go with, or find someone else.

Should I talk to the contractor first or go ahead and place the order for the tiles?

2) is it a good idea to install all tiles inside the house (kitchen, living room, dining bathroom, dining room, laundry room)?

3) what is your suggestion on how i should go about it? my parents had a bad experience ordering hardwood from home depot, and using the contractor that home depot suggested. anyways, it took over 1 month, from the day we removed the carpet, to finally the hardwood being installed. the whole process left my folks upset because of how long it took because the floor was moist and they needed to wait until the moisture came down. finally, the hardwood contractor placed some sort of liquid material on the floor after like the 3rd week of trying to blow the floor with heater to no avail. i dont remember what that liquid stuff he placed on the floor was, but i suppose that guy could have done it sooner instead of waiting until the 3rd week.

what should i do differently to make the whole process smooth and quick?

Comments (5)