SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladydub

Callings all TKOs! Seeking guidance as I start my reno.

ladydub
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi All -

First-time home owner seeking advice as I start this adventure! Been lurking here for awhile now soaking up all your knowledge, but it's time to actually get some work done.

My kitchen/utility room remodel will be DIY except plumbing, electric, counters. House is a modest 3/2 ranch (1400 SF). The small "dining room” is the only eating area in the house. This will be a rental someday, so my focus is on durable, neutral, economical finishes. I have an architect (dad) to help, but want to start here with the TKO experts! Need to keep costs under control (can move doorways, walls, but no additions). My aesthetic is modern, but the house is transitional, so I need to balance that. Mood words would be: clean, light, open, casual, natural, efficient. I like the white/wood/metal look. Here are kitchens I like: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/7758431.

I’m mainly here to get the layout right, but am open to all thoughts, suggestions, ideas. This is a working kitchen. I like things to be very accessible. I think I’d like some open shelving. I try to cook fresh foods as much as possible, love freezer cooking and I like to shop in bulk. The struggle will be keeping a clean, minimal look yet having enough storage to keep things organized in such a small space. My dream kitchen has no uppers, but I don't have enough space for that. I don’t have a ton of stuff, but do have a lot of small appliances - Vitamix, coffee making supplies, Breville compact oven and copper-plated Kitchenaid mixer which will be on the counter. I also have an unsightly water ionzier that I would love to conceal. Just might have to leave it on the counter and build a cover for it. Also have Instant Pot, juicer, stock pots, etc. that I use frequently.

Right now there is so much blind cabinet space it’s maddening and counter seating in a doorway. I do like counter seating in general and I like the spacious peninsula counter top, but I’m not sure there’s room to do either properly. I want the cabinets to go to the ceiling. I would love pantry cabinet if possible, but also need to maximize counter space.

The utility room is right off the kitchen. My thought for this space is that I want to put a 2nd sink with the same uppers and lowers from the kitchen where the water heater currently is (will be moved to garage). A stacking washer/dryer with some built in cabinetry will go at the other end against the exterior wall. This is the only section of the house that is not on a slab, so I’m hoping my plumber can run a drain for a new sink to where the washer drains. Remains to be seen, but I *really* want a utility sink. The W/D hookups are for a side-by-side setup, but at 50" wide, the room is not wide enough to completely open the dryer door (great design!). There is currently a regular 32” interior door from the kitchen to the utility room, which I would like to change. I prefer a door that can be tucked out of the way, but due to the plumbing in the wall a pocket door likely won’t work. I don’t love barn doors, but that might be the best option. I’d like to keep it open much of the time but don’t want the door in the way.

For the materials:

Cabinets: Possibly Conestoga (open to suggestions). I don’t like the IKEA interiors unfortunately. White uppers to ceiling and wood lowers (natural quarter sawn oak) or possibly dark lowers. Simple full overlay (shaker or flat panel). I like 27-30" deep lowers in places that can work.

Counters/Backsplash: Quartz (light or white), simple tile BS

Floors: Wall-to-wall Coretec (except bathrooms)

Sinks: 30" single-bowl undermount stainless in 33" cab in kitchen, 23" utility sink in laundry room (both Kraus), Faucets: Hansgrohe Cento

Appliances: Already have 36" GE Cafe CD fridge and GE Cafe electric range. Probably Bosch dishwasher. Unsure on hood. No microwave.

TIA!!

Comments (12)