RED ROSES! Color Threads 2021

sara_ann-z6bok
3 years ago

DUBLIN BAY from a few years ago.

LIEBESZAUBER

Comments (118)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Does anyone grow Celestine from Palatine? It might be more of a deep pink, but I would put it in the red category. I think the last person to post photos of it was Mossy, who, I believe lives in the PNW. Her photos were fuller and more rufflier than Palatine's.

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

I got Velvet Fragrance a few years ago from Heirloom. I'm finding that its form varies from being a classic HT to a more simple shape with bright stamens.

Here are two more different looks; the color is also redder.

VF is consistently fragrant and a frequent bloomer.

Ann

• Related Discussions

2020 Color Thread: RED Roses

Q

Comments (85)
    Beautiful post. JC, my MW also shows that colour usually for her first flush, but not this year. It must be the cool cloudy spring. Stephanie, please show more Valentine. I have a little one transplanted late last Fall after letting it languish in a poor setting and am anxiously awaiting its bloom.
    ...See More

Pink Roses 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (81)
    Still really want pink peace everytime that I see yours Merlena What a color ! I cried over Young Lycidis because the blooms were so gorgeous and smelled so wonderful but it took over and I just couldn't keep up with it. Good luck to those growing it. The blooms rrally are special But removing it gave me room for Azaleas Forever Rose and Marc Chigall
    ...See More

YELLOW ROSES: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (41)
    Nick, I love the packed frilly petals on Pat Dando. What an eye catcher. Stephanie, I agree that Softee is a charmer, and of course, Golden Celebration is a favorite of mine. The fence makes an impressive backdrop for GC. Dave, wow, those last three photos are gorgeous, big beauties, and I love the color variety and bloom structure of each. Are the blooms as big as they look in the photos? Teasing Georgia is a stunner, too, with yet another take on yellow. Rose Lai, Cyndita (Teasing Georgia), and everyone--what wonderful yellow beauties! It's good to see so many of us grow yellows--they often get bad press. Diane
    ...See More

WHITE ROSES: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (149)
    @rosecanadian, Carol, Yes, I love tge lighter pinks, but there is something magical about Eden… she is huge now and I have bought another Eden for other side of bay window, too. Her blooms are English appearance, delicate. Heirloom Roses has the best video if oruning her-she has such captivating majestic blooms. But she bloomed only one flush this 2nd year and few blooms in summer. I hope she will bloom more next year… going to fertilize her a lot! I posted her on recent Eden thread… Many day she blooms more co tinual after a few years. Francis Meilland is a dream rose-bloomed 3 flushes first year. FM Blooms are very big-majestic!! The ohotos never show how big they really are-ir capture tgeir real beauty. They are both an ”eye popping ” surprise when they bloom! Check out thread ”Eden Climbing Rose blooming question,” for EDEN PHOTOS-ALL TYPES OF EDENS… My photos… hope others will post…. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4013161/eden-climbing-rose-blooming-question
    ...See More
  • LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    3 years ago

Ann, love the pics! I bought Velvet Fragrance last summer also. It put all its energy into growing so I’m still waiting for its first bloom. I kinda like the form variability! Thanks for sharing.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kristine, thank you for bumping this one up. Beautiful Ingrid Bergman and Our Anniversary looks like a good one! Laura, I love your Desmund Tutu! Ann, your Velvet Fragrance is lovely! Are your roses always so perfect? You‘re a great photographer and must have gorgeous roses too!

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Thanks Laura and good luck with VF! You might get less petals, the more simple form initially as the roots establish. The version with larger flowers and more petals may come a little later but I still get both versions on and off. Maybe my rose feeding isn't as consistent as I'd like it to be!

sara ann - I appreciate your kind words! I show appreciation to my roses and all nature by trying to capture their beauty through photography.

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Laura, live tour Desmond tutu. I planted it llate last summer and got a couple of incredible blooms. Isnt the color fabulous!

Ingrid Bergman , to some noses has zero fragrance but my husband and I both get a strong raspberry fragrence.

Ann, your Velvet Fragrence is really striking and you have captured it beautifully.

Flowers, I have Celestine coming in my order from Palatine. I have been curious about that rose for a few years and finally decided to go for it. It will be intetesting to see what color she is.

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

I just think this looks so beautiful with this editing. I took this photo this morning.

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

Dublin bay - finally recovering.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked RaeAnna
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    3 years ago

RaeAnna, lovely reds! I’m so jealous that you would have something blooming right now! It’s 3 degrees Fahrenheit here right now!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Sara Ann, that's a terrible temp for day time.

RaeAnna, yes, it's wonderful you have this beautiful red rose blooming in "winter". What are your temps like in the tropics? It's around 40F here right now. Diane

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

Holy moly, I have never experienced that kind of freeze before. The temperature where I am ranges from 24-37 degrees Celsius usually. These days have been cool with scattered (light) showers...particularly today in that I was able to repot a rose at midday :/
    Usually it’s so hot I would not even dare go outside at this time. I must say that since I’ve moved all my roses to a different area, they all have new growth and some have buds. I will post as they come, to distract you a bit from the cold. Soon your gardens will be amazing and I get to enjoy more photos from each of you. I can’t wait to see them all!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked RaeAnna
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Above are my two Ascot roses which I ruthlessly hacked back since these photos were taken. They were just getting too out of hand, and Ascot didn't like my hacking much. We'll see how things go this year. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Sara Ann, I've meant to tell you how much I love your Dublin Bay and Liebezauber. This as been a wonderful thread to view over and over. Diane

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Diane Brakefield
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much Diane, I love your Ascots!

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    3 years ago

As always, the Ascot rose is gorgeous. I wish HCR carried it.

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

@Diane, how does it feel to be God’s favourite? 😱

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

Rock & roll today

• lunat1208
    3 years ago

How about Lady in Red ? Anyone have it?

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

My rock and roll smells amazing but I must admit I am disappointed that it doesn’t exhibit a lot of ivory / burgundy that it’s supposed to have. Maybe it will come later, when the plant is fully established.....maybe it won’t 🤔

3 years ago

Each bloom will be different. I had striped zinnias last year and some blooms were very obviously speckled/striped and some were much more subtle because they were mostly one color. Give it time to show you more.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Diane Brakefield: I never tire of seeing your Ascot roses. They’re so captivatingly beautiful!

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

Thanks Magpie, that gives me hope!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Lunat, I think I had pictures of Lady In Red up thread. Maybe just 1 but if you want more I can see what I can find.

3 years ago

RaeAnna, are you sure that is Rock and Roll ? Mine is much more of a tight bloom with definite striping.

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

Year one

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

The leaves on yours are like mine, but I can only go based on the label. It’s from weeks roses labelled as rock & roll but I’m also growing from a tropical region so I’m not sure if that’s the reason why - I got it a few months ago and I am still waiting and waiting 😢 I wish mine looked like yours (if it is actually rock & roll)

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

When I first got it, this was what it looked like so I was hopeful. Now, not so sure 😔

3 years ago

Hum, it does seem to have the potential to stripe and the red looks the same. I will cross my fingers too. Maybe it just needs time

In the mean time it is a beautiful red rose.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

I don’t have many reds, but I tend to really love the darker ones. I planted a Florentina this year but it is a tiny plant.

My baby Ascot doing very well for a young plant. It has thrown 12 foot long canes for some reason. I got this one after falling in love with Diane’s beautiful giant.

Bordeaux Cityscape is my best overall rose of any color. Constant rebloom and perfect health.

Dark desire

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, what a gorgeous bunch of red roses. Twelve foot canes? Watch out or Ascot will be covering your house. Bordeaux Cityscape is stunning. I'm checking this one out if it's as good a performer as you say it is (and I believe you). Which rose is the lovely bouquet? How are you doing, Dianela? It's good to see you posting. Do you have any news for us? Diane

3 years ago

Wow ! Your Bordeaux is gorgeous! It was a toss up between Desmond tutu and Bordeaux

Maybe I need both

Someone stop me please lol

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

OK, Kristine. I'm stepping up to stop you. I've read your previous posts that say, "maybe I need both". I will send my deer to your garden if you don't quit buying roses. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Diane it is good to be able to post some. My mom has been helping me with the brand new baby boy and that has allowed me to manage these small breaks. Unfortunately she is leaving in a few days and we are dealing with lots of colic right now so I am dreading the second she leaves. So I may disappear again for a while once the break is over, but praying colic doesn’t last forever. On the rose subject, I wish I had planted Ascot where it could climb because it certainly wants to do that. It is next to a power pole right now and I am wondering if the county would come and kill it if I turned it into an obelisk. The rose in the bouquet is Dark Desire. It is a thorny huge monster but the blooms are very fragrant and they last.

Kristine I am glad you like Bordeaux, if all Kordes performed like that one I would buy them all. I have encountered many Kordes here while healthy do not bloom as much as my Austin’s, but this one is just stellar. I hope you try it. I also have Desmon T, but to be honest I have it in a pot and I have neglected it. Both are lovely.

3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Ha, can you imagine having such a devious superpower as to be able to control herds of deer to decimate the garden of a rival rose grower?

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who has the finest purples of them all?

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Dianela congratulations on the new little baby boy!!! Praying for you that the colic is over with soon, that's great that your mom could be there to help out. If you ever feel like you need another mom of small boys to chat with, feel free to holler! Your roses are absolutely gorgeous!!!

3 years ago

@dianela7analabama Oh I can commiserate. My youngest (3) had atrocious reflux for many months. It was brutal. But the good news is that it's just a distant memory now. I found some little tricks that seemed to help her feel better and we got through it. I wish you all the strength and luck that it gets better soon 💛 before you know it, it will be a distant memory for you, too.

3 years ago

Congratulations on your baby boy . When was he born?

We found that Gripe Water worked really well for those colicky episodes.

A picture would sure be nice, if you have taken 1 or probably 100 lol

• Philip F
    3 years ago

OT, Dianella, if it's Laryngopharyngeal Reflux, as most colic cases are, an incline sleeper made it disappear with our child, but such can increase risk of sids. (Ours was considered a medical device with a sling securing our baby on a wedge.) LPR is quite irritating for an infant. In a year or two, your child will be past it.

Loving the photos.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, I was so happy to read about your new baby boy--can you share his name? I hope the colic is gone soon. You will be getting advice from all us old moms for sure. Any chance of lactose intolerance? A friend's baby had intolerance, and talk about colic. He is now in his 50s and is still severely lactose intolerant. I wish we could be there to help out, but we'll drop you little notes here and there.

Kristine, what is Gripe Water? It sounds very old fashioned--haven't heard colic referred to as gripe in ages. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Magpie, I'd love to have that superpower, and I'd command the deer to all go far away and never set foot in my yard again. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela is a physician, so I'll bet she's heard all the remedies and then some. Diane

3 years ago

Aw, but it'd be might cute if they were well-behaved and helped you dead-head your spent flowers 😉

• RaeAnna
    3 years ago

Some pleasant surprises this morning

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Sorry for going so OT: Thank you all for all the advice and encouragement. You are all my friends and I am very grateful for it. The baby boy is 5 weeks old now and his name is Michael Orlando. We have tried incline, gripe water, gas drops, tummy time, bicycle leg exercises, osteopathic manipulations every day for the past 2 weeks. We just discovered that a warm towel on his tummy helps the best.

Diane I am lactose intolerant and definitely thought that could be it. We switched him to a lactose free formula for a few days and no improvement so we are back on breast milk. I have accepted we will just have to outgrow it hopefully soon. I’ll definitely take any advice from you all, having a new baby and hoping you are making all the right decisions for them is hard. I have found myself doing foolish things like texting the pediatrician to show her that his booty got a bit red despite my best efforts to change him every 2 hours and using preventive diaper rash cream at every change.

I am hoping he will be a great garden helper in a few years.

sorry I won’t get to do an individual post for everyone who so kindly posted but I can hear him crying

3 years ago

What worked for my DD with bad reflux was... well, what part of our issue was was that everytime she threw up, she cried and wanted to nurse for comfort. But the extra milk she got just triggered her reflux and made her throw up again. For a while it was just nonstop nursing and throwing up, bicycle legs, tummy massage, on and on. Eventually I stopped nursing for comfort *quite* as much, and just put a little more time in between each nursing session. Instead I relied on babywearing, in a soft cloth wrap, basically all the time. It kept her upright and helped her sleep more and comfort nurse a bit less. That was really the best help for our particular situation. Maybe you can wear some lavendar scented lotion on your chest and babywear? It might help your little one relax a little easier. 💛 hang in there, it will be okay!

3 years ago

Well, the vote is in, Michael is absolutely adorable !! What a precious face

What diapers are you using ? All of my kids got terrible diaper rash using Pampers.

You will all survive, thankfully and soon his colic will be a distant memory.

Many blessings on your family

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Dianela your little Michael is so sweet!!! Something that really helped all three of my kids with reflux was cutting out bought pasta sauces or any processed tomato sauces, since I nursed all the way through and didn't do formula. A friend of mine was having trouble with a colicky baby and I told her about cutting out the tomato and it made a huge difference for her.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Mischievous: I bought some lavender packs to warm up and put in his tummy belt. I can totally add lavender lotion to the mix. Thanks a lot. I am glad your little one got some relief, I never realized how much parents really suffer with these issues. (I thought I understood, but I was wrong)

Kristine thanks a million, I was doing pampers and now huggies. Thank you for the encouragement , we love him so much and just want him to feel well and happy.

Joey thanks for mentioning that, I really have not made an effort to cut out the fresh tomatoes I eat on the salads. I’ll give it a shot.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

It sounds like you’re trying all the tricks so nothing to add but congratulations-he’s absolutely beautiful!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Dianela, Michael is just beautiful--he looks so placid in that photo, too. Thanks for posting his photo and sharing his name, one which will always be a favorite of mine. I hate to offer another suggestion, but my friend had to use the goat's milk formula with her lactose intolerant son, who is now middle aged and still drinks it. My friend is also lactose intolerant, but can eat goat cheese and no other. Her son had the horrible diaper rash, too, which seems to go along with this intolerance. OK, enough of this. I hope you have a restful day--we can hope. Diane

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!