GET IDEAS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
sara_ann_gw

WHITE ROSES: 2021 Color Threads

sara_ann-z6bok
5 months ago

At this time I only have one truly white rose, POPE JOHN PAUL II, which I love!

Anxious to see everyone’s! I know there are some beauties!

Comments (117)

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    4 months ago

Aaron: I thank you for your kind words... and so do my iceberg roses!😊

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Ann, I think Honeymoon is supposed to be a climber.

• Related Discussions

2020 Color Threads: WHITE or NEARLY WHITE Roses

Q

Comments (35)
    Wow this thread is so incredibly dreamy!!! Every single rose is gorgeous. Wouldn’t it be absolutely incredible if there was a climbing bolero ?!?! I’d pay an arm for it . Well not my arm .. someone else’s arm . Lol Tammy your bolero photo made me think how wonderful it wood be if it could climb with nahema . A fragrant masterpiece to knock you down! tina ; do you love pure perfume? I have it coming from j and p. So excited! Dave your desdemona is amazing!!! What a beautiful rose . Sara Ann I need moonstone . I e always wanted it . Now is as good a time as ever . I’m calling Edmunds to either add it or sub out a Colette . Dianela , your moonstone is so pretty too. Your beds are so beautiful as always !!! Kristine I love your sweet Allysum in the beds . I sprinkled a bag of seeds in my bed and it’s going to be so beautiful too . Earth angel is so lovely!! kenneth has me convinced I need Claire rose too . But I need to stop sometime! Right ?!
    ...See More

Pink Roses 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (81)
    Still really want pink peace everytime that I see yours Merlena What a color ! I cried over Young Lycidis because the blooms were so gorgeous and smelled so wonderful but it took over and I just couldn't keep up with it. Good luck to those growing it. The blooms rrally are special But removing it gave me room for Azaleas Forever Rose and Marc Chigall
    ...See More

POTPOURRI OF COLOR ROSES: 2021 Color Threads

Q

Comments (47)
    You do grow some beauties Ken! Personally I love exhibition quality blooms, and I think you’ve grown many that are worthy of that honor!
    ...See More

Show Us Your Landscape/Gardens - A Photo Thread - February 2021

Q

Comments (42)
    Claire, so nice to see the snowdrops! I love watching the seasons change, but we haven’t gotten anywhere close to seeing bulbs sprouting yet. Deanna, it is the dog, not necessarily my own motivation that gets me out into the woods and fields regardless of the weather. But once I am out there I really enjoy it. Most days we do three walks as he is fairly high energy, so we are out for more than an hour most days. He has learned to pause when my cell phone camera or my pruners are in use. I don’t usually have my real camera with me. Today our breaks will be quite short with temperatures in the single digits into the teens and 40 mph winds. The dog is too small to retain much body heat, even with a jacket when the wind chills are like this, and in the woods where we typically go when it is breezy, it will be too dangerous with such strong winds bringing down branches.
    ...See More
  • rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Ann - for sure! I'll let you know what I think about Bolero!! I won't get any blooms on any roses until the first or 2nd week of July.

Patrick - your Fair Bianca really makes a gorgeous bush!!! She really does do well for you!

Matt - man oh man....your JFK is fabulous!!! Those blooms!!!

Madison - swoon!!! I love your Honeymoon!!!

• Madison Post
    4 months ago

Ann, so funny story but since I am about to move in a couple months, I actually have my honeymoon in a pot and overwintered in the ground. It is a climber, but I kept it trimmed to a manageable size for moving since purchasing it in the fall (I knew we‘d be moving out of state early this summer after my husband completes post-graduate education in May) It certainly hasn’t been an ideal situation for a climbing rose, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and honeymoon doesn’t seem to have minded much at all :)

For the brief time I’ve had her so far, she blooms frequently in large flushes with a few blooms scattered in between. I had a wonderful fall flush especially considering the unfavorable living conditions for a climber haha! Pleasant, mild-moderate fragrance, blooms are creamy white in heat, but take on pale pink/blush tones when the nights get cool. Seems to have healthy, ambitious growth vigor considering how I had to keep cutting it back to keep it from becoming a monster in the pot! (It pained me every time-so looking forward to planting it in the ground at letting her flourish!)

• Madison Post
    4 months ago

Ann, I am currently in northeast Indiana z6a climate by the way

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

Madison, thank you for that write up. You can add your location and Zone information to your name so we stop asking! Lol! :-)

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    4 months ago

Ann~ your White Eden is stunning! I am so glad I have this rose coming. I love white roses, they might be my favorite color.

My favorite whites that I have grown are Bolero and Winchester Cathedral. I don’t have room for Winchester Cathedral now, but do have a couple Boleros, love they are small bushes. Another white I love is Sally Holmes.

I think if I were to order one more white rose it would be Desdemona. I have never seen it in person but I Ike the pictures of it and the fact that it might do well in shadier gardens.

I am swooning for Ann’s White Eden though!

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    4 months ago

Madison, I love your Honeymoon!

Now I want to add that climber haha! I forgot my mom has/had a Honeymoon with beautiful flowers similar to yours. she sent me a picture of them in a vase a couple years ago. For some reason I don't think she has it anymore but I need to ask her why she got rid of it.

Yours looks like perfection to me.

• suncoastflowers
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

@madison Oh that Honeymoon is glorious!!!

Cl. Clotilde Soupert

Key West Rock Rose

Mislabeled white. I’m thinking it might be White Sail.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Beautiful Roses, everyone!

Many of my favorites are above in your photos! Clotilde Soupert, Bolero, Honeymoon, White Eden surprised me the most. I havnt seen it before! It is in gorgeous photo above!

A couple I ordered that I love that havnt been mentioned yet....

Madame Anisette, still waiting for it to be available at a nursery

Lion’s Fairy Tale

Cream Yves Piaget, ( Classic Woman) Available at Roses Unlimited

Moonlight in Paris, on my wish list

French Lace,Floribunda

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 months ago

French Lace was a dud for me.

I think I had 3 and none of them actually made it to a second growing season.

Probably too much shade and too little water.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

More Whites from my garden....

Liechfield Angel, DA

Moondance

Moondance

Polar Express (Usually whiter)

Polar Express (In the fall, usually white)

I have a Wedding Dress mini rose tree...but still looking for the photo...

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

JC,

I have had French Lace on 4 different properties all blooming in abundance. I water daily, fertilizer.....good soil...the works and 6+ hours sun. Just usual for roses. Maybe next time it will be better for you. It is all frilly and creamy in bouquets!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

2 more whites...

A mini bloom from Weddibg Dress Tree Rose

And my first Eden bloom ever below..., when it was just a 1 foot rose bush... growing in the strawberries. (I have since moved it to a trellis....

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 months ago

Kitty, you're going to make me try it again haha

Any time I say something 'bad' about any flowering plant, I'm hopeful everyone remembers I am trying most of them in very limited sun, so less than ideal results are to be expected.

I do have a felicite et perpetue coming next week, but I'm going to pot that one and leave it in full sun until the fall.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

SunCoast - Oh good heavens!!! Your 2nd picture of Key West Rock rose blew me away!! SWOON!!!

Kitty - I would get that cream Yves Piaget (gorgeous) in a heartbeat...if....I hadn't killed 2 Yves Piaget roses. The white roses from your garden look opalescent!!! Sooooo beautiful!!!

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    4 months ago

JC_7a: consider trying shade tolerant varieties like Bolero or Lyda Rose... both which thrive in Shade Conditions.

• suncoastflowers
    4 months ago

@rosecanadian Thank you! This rose took a few years to really get its groove on. These were huge and more colorful than usual in the cool weather. It smells like apples.

KWRR in front of Belinda‘s Dream

• suncoastflowers
    4 months ago

@Kitty6aNY I love your Lion’s Fairy Tale! Gorgeous!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Sun coast,

Keywest Rock has to be my favorite today! It is stunning! Is it always pink & white?

It looks like a photo I have of E Veyrat Hermanos rose which I ordered. But EVH changes colors to all pink sometimes. I like the pink-white lacy fine ruffles!

Lion’s Fairy Tale has beautiful abundant creamy white 26-40 petals fragrant roses!

JC, I understand and it’s so wonderful that you have roses on the porch that have full sun in pots on the porch. It is a challenge finding full sun at times. For me, I would do anything for more sun! Just it’s warmth in NY is so needed. I don’t want to live like a polar bear in winter anymore! Fortunately, we have sun starting tomorrow and warm 59-60 F this week! Yea!!!!!!!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

RoseCanadian,

Since all Yves Piaget are zone 6, I realize they need warmth and TLC to make it where you and I live. In the ground near the warm side of the home may be best to plant them. Since you put them inside during winter, I am not sure why they didn’t make it. But I think the zone 6 roses are more delicate. Do you have other zone 6 roses that flourish?

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Suncoast - Wow!! It reminds me of Austin's Janet. Gobsmacking gorgeous!!!!

Kitty - oooh...you're right...they have a very similar look! Spectacular!! And congratulations on the warm weather coming your way!!! Yay!!

As to Yves Piaget - one year, my husband didn't get around to getting the roses in before a big snowstorm hit...and the other time...my daughter accidently left the garage door open on a really, really cold day. But even beside that....Yves hated me. LOL And yeah, I can overwinter any zone of rose that goes up to zone 6. I haven't tried any that are more tender than that.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Rosecanadia, so sorry Yves P didn’t like you... but I am so glad to hear you can grow any rose up to a zone 6. You have ideally worked out growing 60 roses in pots and it is an amazing project you have to transport them all to the garage each winter. I would love to see photos of your potted roses.

I think we all need green houses so we can grow ideally anything we want. There is the historic , The Sonnenburg Mansion,” in Canadagua , NY and the original owner , Mrs. Thompson, had many green houses where she grew tons trees, orchids, and exotic flowers. Now that’s ideal! She had a Japanese Garden, a rose garden w/ 5,000 roses and other gardens. Now I wouldn’t have minded living there and having her gardens and green houses. What a dream lifestyle!!.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Aaron,

Those cloches are mini greenhouses! Oh, my! Winter protection and plants grow in warmth inside them and so pretty, too!!! What a wonderful idea! I need some of those for next winter!!! Love it! Thank you! Brilliant idea!

Rosecanadian, Maybe you may like to try a gardening cloches? It’s Aaron’s idea and look at his website links above...little greenhouses to put over plants... Love it!

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Here's Chandos Beauty which could be in pink, sometimes cream...but is white-ish. :)

Those cloches are a good idea for me to grow perennials that are too tender for this area. Hmmmmm....great idea Aaron! :)

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Hi, RoseCanadia,

Lovely, how you have your pots on cement markers inbetween grass! Love to see them closer up? Favorite ones?

Maybe you could post your pot photos on my “Rosarians, what makes your gsrden unique,” thread? Your gardens is truly unique and it works! I am so intrigued how you grow all these different zone roses in your 3b zone and 60 in pots. Amazing! They wrote a song about you and your roses by Bruno Mars, “You are so amazing... just the way you are...”

Your gsrden is amazing-just the way it is! And your husband-he is amazing , too! How kind of him... how lovely! Congrats on him working on his PhD. So happy for you both!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 months ago

Carol.....that’s the picture that stole my heart and why I had to order Chartreuse de Parme. Love love love that color!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 months ago

Carol, I do a few things in pots and am determined to get better results

Do you ever have to chamge outvthe soil?

I love how you they have their own paver to really showcase them

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Thanks everyone! Yeah, that was my husband's idea to put the pavers in. I have zero design skills for gardening. I'll let him know you appreciate his work. :) :)

Kitty - I'll let you know my favorite roses in the Seasonal Thread conversation next time I'm there. I'm going white screen blind, so I won't do it now.. LOL You are so sweet!!! I love that Bruno Mars song!!

Oursteelers - I have a ton of pictures of Chartreuse de Parme that all look the same...because the blooms last for such a very long time. :) :) I'm excited to see yours when it flowers!!

Kristine - nope...I never change the soil...except when I don't like a rose. My Night Owl was in the same soil for over 10 years. But...our season is short. It finally needs to be repotted, because the roots must have filled the pot and the bush was only about 2 feet tall last summer...still had lots of flowers. But, I'm not going to do a root prune/soil refresh, because there's no fragrance...and it's time to try something new.

4 months ago

It is always fun to try something new.

Removing roses from pots is so hard and backbreaking.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Rosecanadian,

Thank you! I look forward to seeing photos of your roses and streptocarpus! I was thinking about you today... wondering how you keep 30 streps in the house... how do you find room? But, oh, the fun! What a unique and beautiful garden you have. I love the velvet leaves of Arican Violets and love hearing you have 30 streps and 60 roses... what a joy! My 2 favorite flowers ever!!! Truly keeps you busy!

You have me hooked! I miss African Violets and now I will have a few, thanks to you!

I hope my potted Wisteria, roses, mints, and few plants grow well in pots this year. Good potting soil and they seem to do fine. I will put them all in the ground for winter or remove from pots some and plants in ground.

Kristine,

I hope your plants grow better in pots. What do you grow in pots?

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Kristine - I wouldn't know. LOL I'm so lucky that my husband does all of that. If he weren't here...I guess I couldn't do it. Maybe I'd hook a rope around the rose in the pot and tie that to a huge tree...then I'd hook the another rope around the rose and tie it to my car and vrrrroooom!!! LOL The neighbors would get their chairs out....pretty entertaining!! LOL

I'm feeling kind of bad hijacking Sara's thread...I'll respond on the sesasonal thread. :) :)

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Good Morning, Sara and Friends,

It’s a sunny morning today. It’s supposed to be 58 degrees. White roses sure perk up my day!

I love Pope John Paul which is on my wish list.

I love Winchester Cathedral and I am hoping my rose seed of it will grow into this gorgeous rose...well or like it. I love it being a very prolific blooming bush!

Photo from David Austin Roses: Winchester Cathedral Rose

4 months ago

Kitty, that Winchester Cathedral is glorious!

I in pots I have one ofy Munsteads, one of my Darcy Bussel, Purple Prince, rescued from the water bog, and several mini and mini flora.

The rose that probably needs to come out is Munstead

Maybe next year.

I also have 4 hydrangeas in pots and 3 are getting changed out this yest for sure. I was hoping for this weekend but it is calling for cold and wet weather so we eill see. If it isnt pouring I will go for it.

Today is absolutely glorious out.

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Kristine,

I hope planting Munstead works out. Will you repot or put it in the ground? I am so excited about my Munstead growing this spring! It’s wine color is captivating. It looks like an antique rose, very quaint and can’t wait to see it in a bouquet w/cream roses! Let me know where you decide to grow your Munstead, now one of my favorites!!!

it’s color is stunning.!

4 months ago

I love my Munsteads. One is in tge ground and the other is potted

Both do so well. What a gorgeous color! I would love to find a more permanent home for the potted one.

I may actually have a spot.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

Kitty - that's SOOOO beautiful!! I can't imagine having the skill to put together a bouquet like that! Whoever designed that has mad skills!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

GOOD MORNIN, FRIENDS,

It’s a beautiful day! Sun is shining! Spring break is today and Easter plans are on their way. We will celebrate it a week early. Time to set up the house and garden’s to look EASTERY! Maybe some bunny statues.

I just added a bunny pot yesterday. I will fill it with tulips or daffodils. More on Easter ideas later

Kristine,

2 Munstead Woods, how glorious! So much beauty! It’s the best rose ever! My son loves red and Mubsteads’ deep wine color is going to thrill him!!!!! Let me know where you plant it?

Rosecanadian,

Thank you. Lovely Winchester Cathedral. We will see what my seeds yield.

MY SEEDS SPROUTED:

I had tiny sprouts and leaves in my lavendar seeds yesterday! Soooooo little but YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY GARDENING!

4 months ago

Yep, time to start my seeds. Tomorrow is supposed to rain so that will be a good inside project.

I am doing several trays of zinnias and a few Cosmos. That may be all this year.

• rosecanadian
    4 months ago

The thrill of tiny sprouts!! :) :)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    4 months ago

Well, the good thing about cosmos and zinnias is how much they give for so little effort. So even if that's all you plant, you'll get a great return!

4 months ago

Zinnias are such bang for your buck.

If I can get them past the bugs eating them stage they are really hearty.

• suncoastflowers
    4 months ago

@Kitty6aNY No, it can be very light/cream. It just depends on the weather.

it is in partial shade, reblooms quickly and so far is thornless..

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    4 months ago

I'm starting roman chamomile and the sprouts are the teensiest--does anyone else have this thing where you see plants that are so small you need to buy them?

• Madison Post
    4 months ago

Aaron-me, but with house plants! I either want monsters like palms or Bird of Paradise, or the itty-bitties! string of hearts is on my list for its little heart-shaped leaves! Someone was selling a teeny one at the farmers market a few weeks ago, and it was ADORABLE (but also waaay overpriced according to my pocket book hahaha!)

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    4 months ago

that's perfect! I was at the Aldi the other day and they had the littlest orchid I'd ever seen--in practically a shot glass!--and it was $3 so I bought it immediately. Have you seen the micro hostas? they're adorable!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

I am that way with orchids, also. What did you get, Aaron?

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    4 months ago

Just a teensie phalaenopsis!

• Kitty6aNY
    4 months ago

Sun coast flowers,

Gorgeous cream “Keywest Rose!” It is sensational.... I have it in my wish list.

Aaron, Madison, Vapor,

The teeny weeny flowers sound gorgeous! I love ‘em too. Esp Miniature roses! But I only have a few miniatures on this cold upstate NY property because the rest died-didnt like my winters. I am learning to be careful and hoping what I have left will grow if kept warm. 2 new mini roses were buried in mounds of mulch & snow this year-they look good! !

Aaron, Let me know how your chamomile grows? I am going to put some on my hillside near roses as ground cover along with pink thyme on certain sections. Where are you going to put your chamomile?

Maybe we should continue our seed planting discussions on the Spring thread? I feel I am hyjacking Sara’s White Rose THREAD..😊

Sata, Thank you for your White Rose Thread! I love the world of white roses and it has opened up for me a whole new appreciation for different varieties of white/cream roses!