Today is Martin Luther King Day

petalique

I am thankful for Martin Luther King, Jr.

SaveComment13Like3
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annegriet

Me too. I am thankful for what he did when he was alive and I am thankful to those who keep his legacy alive. His speech on the three evils had a big impact on me: the evil of racism, the evil of poverty, and the evil of war. Sadly, I do not think we have come very far in our nation when we seek to overturn millions of African-American votes. The New Jim Crow. It makes me want to cry. I struggle with the evil of war. I think of my grandfathers who signed up to fight fascism. They would be disgusted by what is happening today.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Me, too. I am grateful for the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. There have been many tributes to him on tv today. It's heartening to see so many kids doing acts of kindness today in his honor. His granddaughter, Yolanda Renee King, was on Kelly Clarkson this afternoon. That young lady is going to go far. I think she is 10. She's so poised and well spoken for a child. Of course she comes from a long line of great orators. Keeping an eye out for this girl in the future.

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
nickel_kg

For many years, Virginia observed Lee-Jackson Day alongside MLK Day. No more! Last year our state celebration of Lee and Jackson was eliminated and instead, Election Day is now an official state holiday. Martin Luther King Jr Day continues unimpeded. Progress I am happy for.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

MLK is a popular symbol because of his very important leadership role during the civil rights movement (that I agree has stalled) but there were many other heroes too. Rosa Parks, Thurgood Marshall, John Lewis, so many others.

Remember that most of those who "signed up to fight fascism" were draftees, not volunteers. They served in segregated armed forces and when they returned to civilian life, it was to the same segregation, bigotry, biases, and Jim Crow laws in parts of the country continued as had been in place before. They weren't disgusted at the time by that, many continued the injustices. Sorry for the reminder.

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

We need reminding. I think of the many who sacrificed and gave and gave.

Clearly, we seemed to have, in plain sight, fallen back. It hurts me deeply. I descend from a long line of honest to goodness American patriots. Lots of blood and sweat and commitment. I have never been able to stomach racism, cruelty, dishonesty, and cult like blind fanaticism.

I so hope people’s eyes and hearts will open and stay open to decency. Share. Care.

1 Like Save    
Annegriet

I agree with you Elmer. Many people fought fascism and then were a-okay with the status quo in our own nation. My grandfathers volunteered after Pearl Harbor--they did not wait to be drafted. They were also big supporters of the Civil Rights Movement and were not hawks during Viet Nam. Both of my grandmothers continued working after the War and raised a bunch of feminists. They were unusual I think for their time.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by petalique
petalique

Your family is impressive, Annegreit. That is heartening.

I hope you eye situation is much better. I once had, for months, years a horrible dry eye situation on top of other things. Excruciating. And invisible. Anyway, I’m glad you’re getting care for your situation.

For anyone interested, on of my favorite, responsible T w i t t er feeds is

at symbol rsrailton

I don’t know if the whimsical filters or bosses will allow any account. Our world has gone very scary peculiar these days. I won’t post the active hyperlink, but, if you read and are aware, you must know or can find the format — “at” symbol, no space, then rsrailton.

There are some tributes and moving links for MLK and others.

I learned about his work with responsible accountability after the most recent big event.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Yes, annegriet you seem to have an unusual family, lucky you.

1 Like Save    
lily316

I remember the sad day he died and Robert Kennedy breaking the news to a crowd of black people. MLK was quite the orator. Joy Reid played words he said all those years ago that were so appropriate at this hideous time in our history.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

MLK was a great man and a wonderful speaker. Yes, more needs to be done, for all people.

Save    
Embothrium

King didn't merely die - he was assassinated, killed, murdered. Meanwhile this one of his is timely:

“Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.”

1 Like Save    
Annegriet

They really were unusual. None of my grandparents went beyond high school but they were big readers and very hard workers. They also had it very hard during the depression and they carried that with them their whole lives.

Save    
woodrose

Rev. King was an extremely intelligent man and I admired him back then, and still do. I appreciate all the tributes to him on MLK Jr Day, but all the tributes in the world won't matter if no one follows his teachings.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. — In His Words, In Our Homes
The legendary leader’s wisdom is as relevant today as ever, in all aspects of our lives
Full Story
Historic Homes See the House Where Martin Luther King Jr.’s Pivotal Story Began
The Atlanta home in which the civil rights leader was born 90 years ago celebrates his legacy
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story