SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesman_gw

First Purple Martin Arrives!

bluesman
14 years ago

Well Old Man Winter got a huge punch across his chin yesterday morning! I was out in my garage and heard the Chur,Chur sound of a male Purple Martin and as soon as I heard it I first thought.."Oh it is just the Mockingbird fooling me again." But then I heard it again and it sounded like it was high overhead. At this point I ran out of the garage and looked up and there he was! A full grown,strikingly beautiful,steel blue and black,male Purple Martin. Oh how powerful he looked as he soared and dived in the sky. It was like a breath of fresh air and a gift for a winter weary soul to see him.

He soared and fed on tiny insects for about another 5 minutes and then down he came. He zoomed by the gourds a couple of times and then he landed on top of one of the racks! There he sat and preened and he had the look of the King that he definitely is! With one mighty swoop through the sky he ended winters grip for good here and just by himself he made me feel like I had 100 martins out there smile..! The Purple Martin of spring is the true harbinger of good news. He is the heart,the soul,and the spirit of eternal summertime. He is brand new each season no matter how many seasons you see him and the Purple Martin of spring truly is a God Among Birds.

Well at about 5:20 P:M he took off and soared some more and then with one awesome tuck of his wings he started his dive! Like a F-16 fighter jet he rocketed through the cool March air and at about 20 feet above the ground he spread out his strong wings and landed in front of a big natural gourd. He sat on the porch for about a minute and then he bolted through the Starling resistent clinger entrance like it was nothing. I am proud of that entrance so much and it is a joy to see the martins get through it so easily while at the same time it stops starlings dead in their tracks. Such a joy to have the martins now coming in and in another 3 weeks there will be 75 plus out there and by early May way over 150 martins will call my colony site home for yet another summer.

They are so special in every way...Mike

Comments (11)