SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_f8

should I add a door sweep to the door leading to my finished basement?

Bob F
3 years ago

probably a dumb question I don't know. Our basement is finished we have a heat pump it is not zoned. In the basement I did add a return and two vents. To be honest I typically keep the vents closed in the winter because the amount of heat added is really negligible. In the summer I do open the vents which help to keep it a little cooler.
Someone I know has a similar basement similarly insulated and he says his basement gets a lot cooler than mine. I am wondering if the fact that my upstairs door that leads to the basement has a 1 in Gap at the bottom and is allowing heat from the upstairs to be pulled down to the basement is why my basement is so much warmer! if I put up tissue at the base of the door it literally can get sucked under the door and down into the basement.
Should I put a door sweep in and block this air from going down or is there a benefit to having that air get sucked down the stairs into the basement? My basement can get as cold as 60 but is usually between 64 and 66°.
Will adding a door sweep save me a lot on my electric bill?
Right now we have baseboard heat and our one area and a forced fan heat and another and it typically takes less than 20 minutes to heat the basement up to 70° and it usually stays that warm... heat does not run continuously but instead cycles on and off every now and then. Also we do not live in the basement at times I'll go down to watch a movie in my man cave other than that it's exercising doing the wash etc etc for which we typically do not even turn the heat on.

Comments (7)