SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgaillard39

Advice on interior door leading down to basement

mgaillard39
2 years ago

We bought this house a few months ago, and we're struggling to figure out how to handle the door/staircase situation. The interior door leading down to the basement is in the kitchen. There's a 'landing' at the top of the staircase, but the landing itself is a step-down from the kitchen floor at about 9" or so. The height difference between the steps and from the landing into the kitchen is enough to where your foot clunks awkwardly if you don't know about it.

The view from the kitchen

The awkward drop to the 'landing'

The previous homeowners have the door swinging outward, over the landing (if you can call it that) but with the way the door swings you really have to maneuver yourself to get from one side to the other. The door-swing takes up the entire stairwell, so you have to step onto the stairs, open the door, get into the kitchen and close it again. I know it's not safe, so I'm trying to find a solution.

We thought about having it swing inward towards the kitchen, but it's a tight fit. It's right between the kitchen counter and a wall that extends a couple of feet out from the hallway. If someone from the basement opened the door unexpectedly they'd hid whoever was on the other side because the door would extend past the wall.

A sliding door would be nice if possible, but we also need to install a stair railing and balusters, and I don't know if those would be in the way of one another. So any advice would be welcome with this!

Comments (23)