SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Technical question - mystery - cake color

agmss15
3 years ago

Ok I came across this recipe for a orange flavored olive oil cake a few months ago. I think I posted about it here. I have made it more than any cake recipe I have made in years. Or ever. It is a basic recipe using ingredients I usually have on hand. I am not a big cake eater but I have been baking for my mom’s household a lot.

So yesterday was my uh ‘stepdad’’s birthday. He wanted the same cake with lemon and poppy seed. I made cupcakes but I thought they looked funny. They didn’t rise is as high and looked super dark. I had overfilled the cups and had some overflow. So I made a cake. The same. And when I cut open a cupcake the whole cake is dark. Kind of like red velvet darkness but a somewhat different color.

My only differences from the recipe are I used double the amount of zest, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and 3 tablespoons of poppyseeds. I always add the double zest and turmeric. And I usually get a moist fluffy yellow cake. I am somewhat perplexed. Do poppyseeds dye cakes? Not my experience as far as I can remember. I thought maybe the seeds didn’t let the cake rise quite as high but the texture and flavor are fine.

I try not to have too much cake in my house. I left most of it at mom’s and promised my neighbor some cupcakes. So I will take a photo when I eat my last one.

https://www.salon.com/2020/10/31/karen-tedescos-orange-flower-olive-oil-cake-from-family-style-is-a-feast-for-your-eyes/

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz