SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Cabinet crown molding conundrum with lumpy ceiling

weedyacres
3 years ago

Here's a shot of our newly installed upper cabinets. 8' ceilings, 39" cabinets, designed to have 3" crown molding. I carefully laser-measured the ceiling height along the wall, and as a result, installed the bottoms at about 53 3/8" above the floor instead of 54" so that the space above the cabinets is 3" or more all the way along the wall.

We installed from the right corner to the left. Everything was good until we got to the over-the-fridge cabinet. It's only 2 1/2" from the ceiling at the front. This is due in part to the ceiling repair we had to have done, to clean up soffits we tore out, so the ceiling finish is thicker out there. (I measured at the wall, and the ceiling is lower further into the room, especially 24" out). It's also due in part to the fact that the fridge panels are 93" tall, and the fridge cabinet is installed flush with the top so the fridge will fit inside. So the cabinet top isn't aligned with the cabinets to the right.

Sooooo...what's the best way to fix this?

• Shave 1/2" off the fridge panels, hope the fridge will still squeeze in there, and drop all the uppers down to match
  • Scribe the ceiling (i.e, shave a slot it in and embed the crown in the ceiling)
  • Scribe the crown over the fridge, to meet the ceiling
  • Skip the crown on the fridge cabinet (I could put the starter molding there to fill in the gap and just butt the crown into the side of it)
  • Buy smaller crown (haven't looked at options yet)
  • Other ideas?

Comments (11)