SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_olen

Basement Waterproofing Options: Pipe on top of footer in subfloor?

Michelle O
3 years ago

Hello!

I am getting estimates on basement waterproofing and need some advice! Let's assume I cannot do exterior waterproofing. For interior waterproofing, I have learned of two different methods:

1) Install a "gutter like" drain/pipe/tube on top of the concrete footer around the perimeter of the basement and collect water that seeps from side of walls or from bottom and route to sump pump.

PRO: Easier to install, requires less concrete removal; doesn't get mud/dirt into the tube because it isn't in the subfloor

CON: Because it is a few inches higher, it doesn't collect all of the water that you would get if it were located in the subfloor; Because it is on the concrete footer it doesn't have the "pitch" needed to route water to the sump pump and water can "sit" inside and get musty

2) Install a tube with holes in the subfloor to route water to the sump pump

PRO: It can collect additional water since it is located further down; it can be set up with a better pitch to ensure water flows to sump pump

CONS: Harder installation; can fill with mud

ALL of the quotes I have gotten have been for system #1. However, I have heard that #2 is what I should be looking for. Does anyone have advice on what is the "better" type of waterproofing system?

Comments (2)