SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

What subfloor in new construction basement?

njbuilding143
8 years ago

So we are in the process of building a new home.. When we first began building we had all intentions of leaving the basement unfinished.. Well as time went on we decided to start the process.. We have since had the framing and electrical completed in the basement.. One of the things I am trying to decide on is what subfloor to use.. We have a very large ceiling in the basement.. I believe that it comes in just over 9ft.. The only issue (if it is one) is that the stairs are already installed.. I was looking around online and saw that most people do 1 of 3 things.. 1) They install 2x4 sleepers with rigid foam in between, 2) they install products like Dricore, or 3) they put flooring directly over concrete.. I am trying to decide what the best method would be to use on the subfloor.. Part of the issue is that the HVAC is installed in the basement and while I can leave the utility room as a concrete floor I wanted to avoid having a "step" or large difference in height.. We are coming close to finishing the build but at this point the only items installed in the basement are the sump pits and the HVAC furnace.. Other than that we are still completely wide open.. We have 1400 square feet to work with.. We have calculated that we could do the dricore panels but would end up spending 2500-3k just for the panels.. I would imagine that 2x4 sleepers would be much more cost effective, but would we have issues with the stairs that are installed as well as the furnace being already in? Also the plumbing for bath is roughed in already..

Comments (6)