SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_lott12

Mixing lighting fixtures in open floor plan.

3 years ago

Downsized last year and still working on making it "our own." I love the trend of chandeliers or large lighting fixtures in the living room. Our living room is long and narrow, and the fireplace isn't centered, so I feel like a notable lighting fixture would "center" the room for us.

We have a traditional crystal chandelier in the "dining" area (we use it as an office on a daily basis and convert it for dinner parties.) The fixture over our kitchen table is very modern (sputnik) style, although it is still gold and uses the same bulbs. I really like the mix of traditional and modern. If we add a living room fixture, it will be between the two, visible from both areas.

Do I try to mix the styles, using crystal with a modern twist, like the pics below? I know I need bigger than most of these, and that may take some DIY to make it affordable. Or go completely away from them both? (A designer at a furniture store said no to any more crystal. He said to go ultra-modern and stay away from styles similar to either of the others.) HELP!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations