SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn53562

How many styles can you mix in an open floor plan?

carolyn53562
14 years ago

I need help with my living room. I previously posted about getting a leather couch to go with two chocolate brown leather Ekornes Stressless chairs in my living room. Well, I have a difficult husband who won't let me do what I want decorating so our house has become a real hodge podge of style. My previous post dealt with what color leather would go with the two Ekornes chairs. Now I have a question about style. My husband wants to get a Stickely couch that has an exposed wood frame with cushions--either the prairie or the fayetteville couch in the link below. Our house is a prairie style house, but our furniture is mostly scandinavian teak, contemporary maple (the kitchen table in the link) and with a traditional oriental style rug mixed in. The pictures in the link are old and were taken right after we moved in, but will give you an idea about the house. We have two of the Ekornes stressless chair shown in the corner by the window. I didn't include a picture of our dining room that you can also glimpse from the living room, but it has a scandinavian teak dining room set and hutch, and our kitchen has quartersawn oak cabinets that are about the same color as the kitchen table. My question is whether adding a Stickley style couch (and probably a matching chair too) to this mix would be eclectic overload? We can get the wood on the Stickley couch in a color that would blend with all of the other wood that we have in the house, but I am afraid that Stickley furniture may have such a strong style (IMO) of its own that it won't blend in with our other furniture. We would replace the tables (they are falling apart anyway) with non-Stickley table, but probably of the same style as the couch. What do you think? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (10)