SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slumgullion

Warriner, Barden, Rupert, Moore - US and West Coast rose breeders

After moving my struggling Bill Warriner rose into a pot, I took a moment to look at the roses actually bred by Mr. Warriner and came to realize I don't have a single one (probably because I'm more interested in old roses and have only a few modern HTs / floribundas). (The only reason I got and kept Bill Warriner the rose is because he was free from RVR and originally came from Bear Creek Gardens which is local to me.)

Which got me thinking about various breeders in the US, especially (relatively) local ones on the West Coast.

I have a few Bardens already (Lindsay's Rose; Mel's Heritage; Song of the Stars; Unconditional Love).

I will soon have a Rupert (I succeeded in placing an order for Annie Laurie McDowell - YAY!!!).

I have a few Moores (Bit O'Sunshine, Peppermint Parfait, Ralph's Creeper, Topaz Jewel, Sweet Chariot, Renae, Sequoia Gold).

I also have a couple of Bucks (Quietness, Earth Song).

I am getting down to very limited space and am TRYING not to add to my wish list. But I'm also interested in supporting the work of US / local breeders, especially ones doing unique work....so I'd like to limit myself to just the best of the best, if I can!

I was wondering:

(a) Are there other breeders from the US (especially West Coast) who introduce(d) roses with special or unusual characteristics? Who am I missing?

(b) For Moore, Barden, Rupert, Buck, and any others I don't know about yet - which are the best roses from their efforts? Especially for a Mediterranean climate, with no spraying?

Any input appreciated

Comments (43)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor