SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Unique roses in our collections

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Listened to George Carlin talking about "Stuff", and it made me smile thinking the roses in my garden could be considered as one of my "stuffs". They look amazing to me but can look ugly to others and that's normal :)

We started out as rose growers, and pretty soon many of us became rose collectors whom admire the uniqueness in roses whether it is beautiful or ugly uniqueness. Please share the roses in your garden that earn deserving spots in your rose collection and explain the reasons why. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I'll go first and will add more. There's no particular order. Helen

Stranger, a striped lavender, bred by Olij Rozen B.V. (Netherlands) and released approximately in 2000. It is one of my favorite roses because of its unique color. This rose isn't only unique, it's very healthy, repeats all the time in my garden, and is last well in a vase.

Pompon Veranda (KO 99/1720-02/KORfloci05/Pashmina/Pompon Flower Circus), a floribunda rose, bred by Kordes (Germany, 1999) and introduced in 2010 (Germany). This rose is breathtakingly beautiful with its cupped petal packed flower form and the colors going from green to white to pink and the blooms are last forever on a bush.

Spirit of Freedom (AUSbite), a David Austin climber rose, bred in the UK (1998) and released in the UK (2002). This rose has so many petals that counting them will take some time. It has the beautiful lilac pink that turn to lavender as it age. Absolutely gorgeous! On top of that, it has nice fragrance, great health, repeats well in my garden and the blooms are last long in a vase.

Marriotta, a miniature rose, bred by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1981). The petals of this rose are so unique that you almost think that it's not a rose. The 1.5-inch blooms have deep pink color with mild fragrance. It's very healthy in my garden and blooms all the time .

Mama Africa (SPEresso/Espresso), a florist rose bred by Jan Spek (Netherlands, 2005) and introduced in South Africa by Ludwigsroses (2009). This rose has a very unusual brown burgundy color blooms that last for a few weeks on a bush. I was lucky to get this rose from Anja Taschner of Ludwig's Roses when she opened a branch in Arizona for a short time. This rose is very healthy and repeats well in my garden. Because of the weather, one of the petals even has two different colors and makes the bloom even more special .

Candice (Delcand/Delludice), bred by Delbard before 2008. Each bloom is beautifully striped and unique that it makes me feel like I have multiple rose bushes into one. This rose is very healthy and repeats all the time in my garden. I also got this rose from Anja at the same time with Mama Africa.

Comments (81)

• Rockridge Rose
    4 years ago

Green Romantica. Bought today

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Rockridge Rose
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    4 years ago

Paul, I love that Ralph Moore rose. Too bad it is not in production. Hmmmm, do you think Burling has it?

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Related Discussions

Revitalizing a Rose Collection, Rose ID Help Needed

Q

Comments (7)
    I'll be negative help. Do you have a master list of what is supposed to be there? The last one isn't a gallica, but looks like some sort of rugosa hybrid. I also don't think the next to last one is Darlow's Enigma. The growth habit looks all wrong to me, since DE isn't really a climber, but an extremely awkward shrub. It also has some of the most vicious thorns I've run into in the sense that is captures its prey and doesn't let go, rather like recurved shark teeth. Somewhere around here is a tutorial on how to take pictures for rose IDs. In general, photos of thorns, leaves, petioles and peduncles are more informative than flower pictures. Is it possible the second rose is a Morden? It doesn't look or sound like an Alba to me.
    ...See More

The end of my rose collection?

Q

Comments (27)
    There's an Alexander Graham Bell quote that I have had to internalize many times: “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us. Brandon, perhaps this is a good time in life to assess that which really matters to you. I lost a home to foreclosure in the great recession. Our horse business went bust due to economy - people stopped buying and the horses literally ate us out of house and home when hay prices tripled in cost at the same time. That was 10 years ago. 10 years later I have an awesome job, and ranch property which I love. I do commute close to 2 1/2 hrs a day to be able to have the ranch, and it's worth every minute of driving for me (bought a super fun sports car to enjoy the drive). I hadn't gardened, at all, prior to the incident 10 years ago. I started rose gardening 9 years ago, and I swear it was immersing myself in the beauty of the roses and garden that was the biggest influence in getting me through the difficult times. One thing I know, is that until the time I cannot physically tend roses any longer, I will not live without them. There are so many options in life. Just make sure when the dust settles, you're happy. Best wishes.
    ...See More

Emily Bronte - A unique rose worth looking out for

Q

Comments (78)
    The first year, mine only bloomed once,but grew straight up and very healthy. It wants to be tall, but unlike many Austins, it does not need to be staked. No flopping, just grows straight up. Then, in its second year, I moved it to a NE exposure from a SW exposure, to a cooler, wetter, shadier part of the garden, where it had more space but soil definitely quite hard. And I got 4 flushes last summer, with a final small one rather late in the fall. Definite spacing between flushes, and it is not a continuous bloomer (so far). When the temps got up to the mid-high 90s, which is unusual for here, the buds were duds, shrivelled and died. So I don't think it likes extreme heat. Mine is on laxa (Western Europe). The first flush in early spring was the most impressive. However, the scent is so very lovely, that I now have a second one. Would be great for a hedge.
    ...See More

Pinkerbell, a uniquely beautiful rose in the right conditions

Q

Comments (20)
    Helen, When Cinnamon Dolce flowered I always cut the blooms and brought them inside. It was marketed as heavily scented, but mine had decent scent, just not strong. The buds usually opened fairly quickly so it allowed me to slow that down somewhat. I had posted a few of the Cinnamon Dolce flowers on HMF (as Chris_in_WV) a few years ago. The coral-orange with the reddish stippling is hard to capture with a camera since the two colors are not far apart for contrast. Chris
    ...See More
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    4 years ago

Looking at all these exotic roses, I guess I have mundane tastes. None of my roses are particularly unusual. Not really "unique" but not a rose you see posted on the forum, is Alexandra, Princesse de Luxembourg. I'm debating removing her because the flowers are so susceptible to thrips.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • User
    4 years ago

"Paul, I love that Ralph Moore rose. Too bad it is not in production. Hmmmm, do you think Burling has it?"

I very much doubt it - when Burling started her own nursery she collated a list of varieties she knew had clearly defined commercial value . Un-named Ralph Moore roses have an undetermined commercial value, as in Zero, until they are named. I believe only Texas A&M has naming rights for the Moore archive now.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked User
    4 years ago

Too bad. I would have loved to have had some of the roses he was using for breeding or was working on.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Some really gorgeous unique roses!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Thanks Stephanie. I thought I had added pics last year for The Tooth Fairy, but apparently only with my comments. It's even bigger and better this year making just a froth of a shrub, constantly blooming. I'm surprised more people don't grow MmeNLV as she's so great and continues to bloom all summer. I have multiples of this rose, but a couple are about 100 yrs old. including that pictured. They are hardy and take neglect, but will BS if not fed.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

Had TAMU or any of their "partner nurseries" any interest at all in naming or introducing any of the Moore roses, I would have thought they would have done it in the decade-plus they've had them. The few I had like that, I passed on to John Bagnasco for the CCRS and their auctions. They were pretty flowers, or interesting sepals, or genetically interesting and fun to study, but eventually you have to value them the way the rest of the world does and treat them accordingly.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked roseseek
    4 years ago

I would mention tangentially, that John Bagnasco is the breeder of the Tooth Fairy. I would love to have more of his roses if they're anything like this one.

4 years ago

Vap, I think he bred Tangerine Streams which used to be commercially available. I generally don't like orange roses but this one seems very pretty.

• User
    4 years ago

Sadly, I think Kim is right - if TAMU was seriously interested in releasing any of the test seedlings from the Moore archive, we'd have seen action on it by now. I think its a huge loss to the community of growers that these roses are now locked away in a stagnant archive. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, I'm confident you are not wrong, Paul. There is only one instance of someone inquiring about introducing one of his roses and that was met with a "sure, go ahead!" Occasionally, another of his unreleased or given away things surfaces and we name and start spreading them around. The two latest were Moore Bouquet and "Fire'n Spice" . I'm sure there are MANY more of his roses out there which haven't surfaced. He gave away SO much.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Roseseek, how do you think Moore Bouquet would hold up in z5/6, if, of course, I could ever find it? Mr. Moore's name has been familiar to me since the 1970's when I would read the Roses of Yesterday and Today catalogs cover to cover. There was always a mention of Mr. Moore, his contributions to rose breeding, and how admired and respected he was.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Stephanie, thanks for the heads-up. I posted a few pics for both TF and MmeNLeV on HMF. These are such great roses that really enliven a space and provide a certain sweetness. with the single blooms and small pompons.

• User
    4 years ago

"Occasionally, another of his unreleased or given away things surfaces and we name and start spreading them around."

@Kim,

If TAMU has that attitude towards naming the roses Ralph spread around (like what you and I have in our collections) then I am inclined to get on that train and get a couple of them properly named. I think a rose as important as 0-47-19 ought to have a proper name at this point. There are several others that come to mind....

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    4 years ago

Oh, I can't believe my eyes when I click on a name that are in numbers on HMF like 0-47-19 .
    That is unbelievable ! I agree it should have a name or something not numbers. I would not have known about this this at all. Thanks Paul for putting up the link.
    I think every rose should have a name esp the trial is done . That should be the next step.
    jin

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

I'm sorry, flowersaremusic, I doubt it would survive in that cold of a zone. It's a very large climber and there is nothing to indicate it would have any greater cold hardiness than your average modern rose.

I fully agree with you, Paul. 1-72-1 is another which comes to mind requiring a proper name. I have a flourishing one and the one I gave to Kippy in Santa Barbara is HUGE. You should see her MORsoul (String of Pearls)! I guaranty you Mr. Moore had NO idea it would get THAT large and it tip roots everywhere! Her Moore Bouquet is eating her side yard! 0-47-19 is one I mourn losing in the move to the Central Coast. I have several climbers and ramblers I bred from it, but having it back again would be fun and useful. Everyone with whom I shared it, has either lost it or died. Quite a recommendation, isn't it?

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Thank you, Kim, it surely is beautiful. I'm happy to know it is thriving and being appreciated by others who care and will preserve it as well as other rare, unnamed and somewhat lost roses of days gone by.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

So, since we have moved on to this topic, can you tell me something I have wanted to know? When a rose has moved into an archive, how is it stored? Is it the whole plant? Just one plant that they try to keep alive (that would be thousands of plants), the pollen (but then it would have to cross with another plant to make a new one and it wouldn't be the original plant), just a genetic tissue culture? What is in there and how do they store it?

• User
    4 years ago

Kim,

I still have a large specimen of 1-72-1 (which is surprising, in that it survived a week of MINUS 7F temps during the 2015 Polar Vortex, in a large pot) and I still have "String of Pearls" (though not so large, since its still in a pot). I also have a plant of 0-47-19 which I propagated last year. Its available if you want it.

Paul

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Someone, somewhere has to grow the plant and maintain it. You grow roses, so you are aware of all that entails. If you're talking about dozens, hundreds or more varieties, imagine the cost... That's what gardens such as Foundation Plant Services must do. Unless someone pays for the land, water, supplies, labor, how can you do it?

Thank you, Paul! Yes, please? I would LOVE an 0-47-19. I will email you my address and happily reimburse you however much you wish for it. I can easily receive it any time you wish to send it. Thank you!

• User
    4 years ago

@Kim,

Will do!

• sabalmatt_tejas
    4 years ago

I have a thriving plant of ‘Moore Bouquet’ that I’ll be happy to share cuttings of when the weather is better (cooler in TX) for sending cuttings.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

Wonderful, Matt! Thank you! What do you think about it and how does it perform for you?

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    4 years ago

Gorgeous blooms! They are all beautiful to me!

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Memphis music to bed it doesn't stay looking like that it turns a really liver colored after a couple of days

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Black Baccara (MEIdebenne), bred by Jacques Mouchotte (France, before 2000) and introduced in US (2002). This rose can change its velvet color from dark red to almost black when there's less sun. This is one of the roses that can be in the "black" rose category. This rose has good health and repeats well in my garden. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Alakazam, bred by Robert B. Martin, Jr. (US, 2015) is a mini-flora which has yellow blooms with dark red stripes. Many people said it looks the same as Simsalabim (KORsimsala), a very rare rose, and I agree with them. Here are some pics of Alakazam in my garden.

Grand Old Opry (Welopry), a miniflora rose, bred by Verlie W., Jr. Wells (2009) and introduced in US (2009). The 2.5-inch blooms have yellow base with red and yellow stripes with moderate fragrance. It's very healthy and repeats well in my garden.

Pandemonium (MACpandem/Claire Rayner/Pan), miniature rose, bred by by Samuel Darragh McGredy IV (1982), introduced in New Zealand by McGredy Roses International (1988). The beautiful blooms have yellow and orange-red stripes with mild, musk fragrance. I just got this rose from Rogue Valley Roses, and this is the first bloom. I like it a lot. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ann, I love your Pink Poodle pic. I checked AngelGardens website and didn't see Pink Poodle. How did you place your order for Pink Poodle? Helen

• Ann9BNCalif
    4 years ago

Hi Helen - PP is available from For Love of Roses and appears to be in stock so I would try there first.

A few years ago I happened to ask Pam at Angel Gardens if she had it and she said yes but you have to be on a waiting list so it took awhile but I eventually got it. Later I met Burling and arranged to send her a cutting earlier this spring so she might have it too by now. Hope you get PP since it grows well. It’s always one of the very first roses to bloom each spring and keeps on going. Mine is in the ground but it should be great in a pot, especially under your care. :))

Ann

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Ann. I contacted Richard from Forloveofroses to see if he has it in stock so it can be shipped it with one of the back orders. Helen

4 years ago

Helen. I am crazy about your Black Baccara . My favorite color of all the roses is that black red.

I would definitely buy a pot for that rose unless it's a huge 6' rose

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristine, it will look great in your garden. I think it is a very special rose. Since you plan to have it in a pot, you can control how dark the blooms look by where you place the pot. If you put the pot in a morning sun location to make sure the rose in good health but not too much sun, you will get darker blooms. Helen

• sabalmatt_tejas
    4 years ago

Kim- regarding ‘Moore Bouquet’ it has been heat tolerant, disease resistant, and vigorous. It’s growing in a dry area- i added drip irrigation this year and it has taken off and I can now see that it will be huge! I like the fragrance and can detect the moschata like scent. ‘Pink poodle’ has grown well also.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • roseseek
    4 years ago

Marvelous! Thanks Matt! I'm glad they are doing well for you. Now, if you're interested, Paul has sent Mr. Moore's 0-47-19, the Wichurana X Floradora spring flowering rambler. It's the seed parent to Paul's magnificent Mel's Heritage. It roots EXTREMELY easily and is fertile both ways (hint,hint) and cuttings will be available by spring, should you be interested.....

• Matthew Gandin
    4 years ago

I consider this rose unique because I don’t know anyone else who grows it. Spice Twice was a J&P test rose from the ‘90’s, I inherited the plant when I bought my house, the previous owner had planted it, and it luckily still had the metal tag on it. For a few years until I saw the tag, I thought they it might be Fragrant Cloud, but it has a much more subtle fragrance. It is one of my most prolific roses, I’m currently trying to propagate some cutting as to share this beauty with others.

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Matthew Gandin
  • linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
    4 years ago

This is such a wonderful thread! Thanks for all the great pics and stories behind!

I only have a few to share, and they are all moss roses. Although I have a thing for moss roses, the heat and humidity in NJ really don't agree with them, so they kind of suffer in my garden since I don't spray.

The first one is Scarlet Moss (Moore mini). The color in the pic has too much orange (crapy iPhone pic). It's actually deep true red.

The second one is Unconditional Love (Barden mini). Paul - I love this rose - thank you thank you! It stays petite for me, self-cleans, and blooms continuously through the season. Once again, the color on the pic doesn't represent the deep red in reality.

Last but definitely not least, Kim Rupert (Moore mini). This little rose has endured a lot of abuse in my garden, being shaded by the rose behind that grew much bigger than I had anticipated. So I finally moved the poor rose this year. Although it has quite a bit of catching up to do, it still gave me some beautiful flowers after the move. A tough rose named for a great rosarian!

--Lin

bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ)
  • User
    4 years ago

Thank you Jin, I am very glad that 'Unconditional Love' is a favorite of yours!

4 years ago

Paul , I believe that credit goes to Linc must be auto correct Bec it happens to me and it auto changes to Lunch...go figure !!
    Linc, I absolutely adore your choices of roses bred by my favorite Rosarian. It is really awesome to see what you have collected.

Matt that is such a beautiful story about a rose that came with the house. I have to Google on that rose more. What a beauty :)

Sabalmatt , do you have pics of "Pink Poodle " ? Another rose I have to look into. Been so busy with work that I am just trying to do catch up.

jin

4 years ago

Hi Jin (waving here :-) ), I LOVE many of the roses you grow and I have read about here! Too bad many of your lovelies I can't even think about touching because our climate is so very different (zone 7a here, but I suspect sometimes we are still 6b in those coldest days in winter). Tried Bermuda Spice one year. It grew so so well in that first year, from a teeny little band to a 1.5' x 1.5' bushy structure. I even consulted Christopher (NJ), who had Spice at that time and lives just about half an hour south from me to help winterize my Spice. But still, I lost it in that first winter :-( . Heartache, and I don't want to experience that again.

Love love Paul's roses! Amazing creations which bring beauty to such a wide range of zones! I'm so grateful that I've had the opportunities to try many of his roses that thrive in the colder zones.

4 years ago

Here is Memphis Music. I don't know what happened to my other picture. The blooms last forever but I'm not wild about what the color changes to

4 years ago

Linc, you are welcome. I always envy so many roses that Northerners grow so seeing them is a treat for me....Warm hugs from Florida, and waving back.

Chris is amazing kid and extremely knowledgeable. He helps me a lot too :)
    I cannot believe that he is only half an hour away from you and it made such a difference for winter. Wintering plants and roses can be so challenging. If it is not the weather it can be be deers or rabbits . It is a total heartbreak experience but don't give up :)

jin

4 years ago

I totally forgot about Gophers with deers and rabbits...
    jin

4 years ago

Hi Jin, I'm not giving up yet :-), just have become very cautious choosing what to try in my garden. But I am shying away from zone-pushing, so no more chinas or teas for me. So I have to live vicariously through the pics you and other warm zoners post here.

You don't have deer?! No rabbits?! We have TONs of them here. My outdoor cats are keeping rabbits and ground hogs away from my yard, and I'm lucky to have a completely fenced in backyard to grow my roses in. But deer are decimating my front yard, and all the surrounding areas too. You are so lucky not to have to worry about these critter problems.

Sorry Bayarea Girl, getting really off-topic here :-P

• bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Linc, it’s no problem. Conversations are always welcome :) Helen

4 years ago

Sorry, Helen :)

We do have deers and rabbits but just not here in the city. Deers are found in Panhandle and in the Keys . The Keys deer I know is protected by the state and not sure about the rest. They are very small almost the size if a Great Dane...lol.
    Adult male white-tailed deer in Florida weigh on average 125 pounds and stand approximately 36 inches tall at the shoulder.  Female deer are smaller, averaging about 95 pounds and 32 inches in height.  Florida deer are considerably smaller than those in most other states.  
    Rabbits are along St. John 's river which ran from North to South. So, no I have never seen them at all except in Ocala forest. In the country you see them all the time.
    Here we see armadillos and raccoons . Tons and tons of Gators. Moles but no Gophers as far as I know. So, my roses are safe (safer) and it is so devastating when someone's roses get destroyed.

jin

4 years ago

Here is a pic of. a Bobcat that was caught behind my friend's backyard who lives by my workplace at Universal (20 mins from my home) Heard we do have them around Disney area and Universal area. Trappers came to catch and release. The guy is a trapper.

jin

• roseseek
    4 years ago

After all the years of rabbits, gophers, moles and squirrels, not to mention all the associated snakes, coyotes and bobcats which feed on them, I am SO BLESSED to NOT have ANY of those issues here. I wouldn't go back to them for anything.

4 years ago

That is one really big bobcat!! In your friend's backyard?! YACK!

In addition to your bobcats Jin, let's not forget your Florida gators! That national famous video of a Florida gator climbing a fence had me shuddering involuntarily. Between gators and deer, I will take deer any day and you can definitely keep your gators!

4 years ago

I am ready with my Billy Club...lol.
    Let's go Gators !

jin