SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elsand

Replanted goosenecking AV, growing sideways again - do I try again?

Elsie
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I started a post quite a while ago trying to save the African Violets my grandma left me. One of them was overgrown, and I saw it was growing fully sideways after trimming off the old leaves. So I took it out of the pot, cut off all but the top inch, and planted it upright in a new pot. I put the pot in a plastic bag for a month to incubate, and it has taken off, flowered, thrived - but started growing sideways again!

Original attempt:

I think I cut off all but the last upper inch of it (before it starts to curve drastically), stuck it in the new pot, and hoped it would grow straight.

As it started to grow:

Thriving:

But now after trimming the leaves off over the years:

When you trim the older leaves off the violets, it leaves more and more of the stem exposed, and it looks like some of my new violets are starting to tilt to a side too but I've only revealed like 1/2" of stem on them. I read that it's important to replant every 6 months to add soil to keep them from getting that heavy. But what do I do with this guy who refuses to grow straight? Is it a lost cause? Will he ever learn to grow straight again if I decapitate again? I would appreciate any advice from the fellow African Violet community!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional