SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazelinok

Trying again...

hazelinok
8 years ago

So, the peas, beans, potatoes, cucumbers, and okra drowned last month. I'm leaving the potatoes alone because there's some signs of life in some of the plants. The Kentucky Wonder pole beans sorta came back, but weren't thriving. I noticed their roots were on top of the soil. I think they floated to the top. I covered them and watered and they look pretty good. I started another batch though. Also, replanted the okra and cucumbers

Anyone start beans, cucumbers, and okra this late?

Happily all my herbs came back--and they looked BAD. Really bad. They're so pretty now. And the strawberries too. Something is eating the fruit--not a bug. Something is sneaking in.

Not sure on the tomatoes or the peppers. I have some green fruit but the plants don't look ideal. The zucchini and yellow squash look so nice--so far the bugs haven't found them. I just remember last year scraping eggs off the leaves every day.

It's strange to need to water. I thought we would never need to water again. How quickly it all dries up. I'm hoping for a rainy day soon. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

When do y'all plant pumpkins? I have one coming up from a Halloween jack-o-lantern. It looks bad, but it's hanging in there. I bought "Old Fashioned Tennessee Vining" and "Seminole, Larger Fruited" from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Does anyone have experience with those? I learned here (thank you very much) that c moschata is more resistant to squash vine borers so bought a couple of those types after the pumpkin heartbreak last summer.

Comments (5)