SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lwfromny

Wallpapering Ceiling and Walls

lwfromny
3 years ago

I have a small powder room, 4’11” x 5’9”, with 8’ ceilings. There is a white toilet and vanity on one long wall, and the floors are hardwood (oak with a medium stain similar to Minwax Provincial). The door to the room is on the other long wall opposite the toilet. There is a soffit on the long side of the ceiling ceiling vet the toilet and vanity. The only lighting in the room is a recessed can over the sink in the soffit. The ceiling is otherwise uninterrupted.

I am redoing the walls and ceiling - everything else is staying. I would like to run a 1x4 molding around the room about 1/3 of the way down from the ceiling, and paint the molding and walls below it white. The effect would be somewhat like the photo below, but much simpler and with a larger scale wallpaper. Above the molding would be wallpaper on the walls and ceiling. I’m thinking of a floral or botanical similar to the attached photo.

My questions are:

• Given the size of the room and the placement of the paper, what scale wallpaper should I use?

• Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

• How do I apply the paper to minimize the number of places where the paper comes together and doesn’t match? I can’t figure out a way to do it without having several points that don’t match, and I don’t know if I should just give up, or if there’s a way to do this and have the non-matched seams be unobtrusive.

Thanks!!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida