SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_261295429

Charcoal and brown...colour help needed!

HU-261295429
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I added a family room to my basement and now am stuck on colour choices. Things to consider are:

1. It's a cool zone so I was planning on warm brown tones. However, in a moment of madness, I bought a floor model charcoal sofa bed on clearance. It was a good deal but threw a major curve into my design plans!

2. There is only one small window so I went with a very soft buttery cream paint on the walls to keep it bright and a medium brown/grey floor. Eventually there will be white trim. It's a long narrow room as you can see in the picture (12x34) and the far end will be a sewing and exercise area. (Excuse the mess - busy unboxing stuff!)

3. I have 2 white display cabinets for antiques/keepsakes that flank a black electric fireplace - was thinking of a rustic farmhouse vibe. I'm going to put a mantle-like shelf with a TV over the fireplace

4. I have mismatched chairs and an ottoman I inherited from my parents that I'm getting re-upholstered...and therein lies the problem!

What colour do you suggest for the chairs? The person who will be re-doing the furniture said brown and grey worked together. I picked out a brown I like (red circle in the image below) and I know it works in nature but I'm having trouble visualizing the room. The throw pillows do have some brown and cream but is it enough to 'pull the room together' or will it look more 'thrown together'? The green circle shows a grey material that would work except I really don't want to go all grey because my living room is grey.

I keep trying to think of other colours that are warm: Red but that's the accent in my living room. Yellow but the walls are yellow and I don't like mustard yellows. Orange - NO! I'm not fond of green. Deep blue would work but its not the warm, cozy atmosphere I was wanting. I looked at some patterned materials hoping for something with both brown and grey but didn't see anything that caught my eye - I'm not really a pattern person as I get tired of them or they seem too busy. Subtle flecks are more my style with patterned throw pillows that are inexpensive to switch out.

The chairs will either flank the sofa or flank the white cabinets - haven't decided yet. The ottoman was originally going to be brown to match the chairs but now I'm wondering if it should co-ordinate with the sofa instead - I could place it to create a bit of a chaise effect perhaps. There is also an old lazy-boy (not pictured) that I might get recovered - have to see if there is room - and I'd make it a patterned material. I think I can handle one patterned piece, lol.

Sorry for being so long winded! Brown - yes? no? Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (28)