I learned something new
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (21)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
I learned something new today. . .
Comments (3)Hi Debi..Common names can be a pain in the........! If you Google Grape Ivy, you'll find numerous nurseries who interchange the common name, Grape and Oak Leaf Ivy. But as far as being a true Ivy, nope. GI's are in the Cissus family. I'm thinking you're confusing Hedera Helix, common ivy..Is that it? There's a good number of plants in the Cissus family, but IMO, unlike edible grapes, Cissus rhombifolia/GI, will thrive in less sun than their relative, Cissus, 'grape/fruiting' plants. Grapes need sun to develop. GI doesnt' flower or fruit. If you read the post I listed on your other thread, 'Google links,' you'll see what I mean. Do you have a picture of your new GI? Debi, Grape Ivy was one of about 10 plants I started growing indoors, longgg ago. LOL. God, brings back memories. The first plant book I purchased is called, Hyponex Plants. I read, reread, and rereread that book from cover to cover, so often, the copy I now have is copy 3. The first books pages were worn and fell out of the binder. Copy two somehow was lost. Copy 3 was bought on Ebay for 1.00. As a newbie, I followed Hyponex instruction care to a T. Here's what it says about Grape Ivy. Grape Ivy, (Cissus rhombifolia) is thought to be a diehard. Actually, it only tolerates and survives neglect. To become a truly beautiful plant, which it should be, it has preferences worth catering to. Avoid severly dry soil and drafts of hot, dry air on the leaves. If you hang GI, do not hang in a warm, heated room. It will grow in a dry atmosphere if temps are on the cool side. Mist leaves daily, and shower with tepid water once a month to keep them clean. Kangaroo vine, a relative, is treated elsewhere in this book. Other cissus worth growing include, C. adenopoda, (fuzzy leaf) C. discolor, and C. striata, (mini) Light: Ideal is 2-3 hours of sun in winter: adapts to light in a north window. Grows well under fluorescent light. Since you're in z5, a north window, unless super-sunny, might not be adequate. Then again, if you allow GI to go dormant, (less water, no fert) it should be okay. Forceing a plant to grow while dormant will cause spindly growth, and possible disease. Good luck, and if you have a picture, please post..Toni...See MoreI just ate a mango!
Comments (41)Here is one of my favorite recipes for mango (except I do chicken, and I just wave the jalapeno over the pan, LOL). Pork Chops with Mango-Basil Sauce Bon Appétit : June 1997 Try the sauce with grilled fish or chicken, too. Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less. Yield: Makes 4 Servings 1 small mango, peeled, pitted 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1 jalapeño chili, seeded, minced 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves 3/4 cup canned low-salt chicken broth 1 1/2 tablespoons golden brown sugar 1 tablespoon soy sauce 4 6- to 8-ounce center-cut pork chops (about 1 inch thick) Puree mango in processor. Set aside 1/2 cup puree (reserve any remaining puree for another use). Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeño, then basil; sauté just until basil wilts, about 1 minute. Add broth, brown sugar and soy sauce. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in cup mango puree. Simmer until sauce thickens and coats spoon, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Prepare barbecue or preheat broiler. Brush pork with 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or broil pork until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plates. Rewarm sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally. Drizzle over pork....See MoreI learned something new today from the vets office
Comments (15)Our cat, Heather, has small-cell lymphoma requiring pilling of prednisolone twice a day and a chemo pill four days out of 21. The first pred was purchased from the vet, 60 pills for $20.70 plus tax. I decided to check PetMeds and the cost for 100 pills, including shipping, was $26.00. I placed my order on a Friday and on the following Monday got an email from PetMeds saying they hadn't received the script from the vet yet. Called the vet and they told me they hadn't received a request from PetMeds. So called PetMeds and they said they would re-send the FAX. The next day, Tuesday, I called the vet and finally they said it had been FAXed back to PetMeds. But, by then, I needed some pred to tide me over until the PetMeds pills arrived and asked for 12. Went to pick them up on Wed. and the cost was $20,70 (plus tax). I asked how many - was told 30. I then asked for just 12 and was told the price was the same. So, then I said, give me 60 as I paid that for 60 last time. Then I was told that they could only dispense 30 as the vet was on vacation (there are 8 vets total in the clinic) and no other vet could prescribe. So, I called PetMeds and they overnighted the 100 pills to me and I told the vet's office to forget it. I can only figure out that they have just one price for the pills, up to 60. Anyway, I'm a big fan of PetMeds now. And the chemo pill has to be bought at a pharmacy. RiteAid wanted $33 for 4 pills. Costco's price was 1/2 the cost. So, check around. We found, with a cat who had CRF (now deceased) that lactated ringers were $24 for 12 at Costco and the vet charged $14 for one....See MoreToday's remodeling lesson
Comments (19)Ok, I don't think it looks bad. Frankly I don't really know what my preference would be anyway. If you do it significantly lower I think it would look weird. The builder may have thrown out the $2500 price to make you go away. However, I don't see this as all that hard to correct if it is really just that 1 gable. 1) the clapboard siding would not have to come off the house unless it has some sort of weird install method, its normally done from the bottom up. 2) the shakes might have to all come off, but generally they are tougher and most likely could be reinstalled. I would gather it would take 1 person who knew what they were doing less than a day to fix it to whatever you want. problem is, once you tell them this is where you want it, it is your problem, not an install issue....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHow I Learned to Be an Imperfect Gardener
Letting go can lead to a deeper level of gardening and a richer relationship with the landscape. Here's how one nature lover did it
Full Story
CONTRACTOR TIPS6 Lessons Learned From a Master Suite Remodel
One project yields some universal truths about the remodeling process
Full Story
INSPIRING GARDENSWhat We Can Learn From Longwood Gardens’ New Meadow
Sustainability, ecology, native plant communities ... this public garden is brimming with lessons on horticulture for home gardeners
Full Story
LIFEThe Day She Learned the Serenity Prayer for Homeowners
A flooded house and a high school graduation party intersect to teach some life lessons
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESLearn the Secret to Bigger and Better Roses
Grow beautiful roses using both ordinary and unusual soil amendments
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESLearn When to Splurge for True Design Happiness
Sometimes treating yourself is exactly right — despite that whole impracticality thing
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESWhat We Can Learn From the Minimalists
Discover the power of simplicity and how to employ a less-is-more approach in your decorating scheme
Full Story
colleenoz