SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Today's remodeling lesson

13 years ago

Here's what I learned about remodeling today (and I learn something new every day): Do not allow yourself to be talked into something, whether it be by a contractor, architect or cabinetmaker. You will end up hating it and then you'll be faced with the decision of whether you want to spend a lot of money and time fixing it, or live with it but know you're never really going to like it.

We've been going back and forth over the location of the beltline where our siding will switch from 8-inch wide vinyl to staggered shakes. They put up a board the other day and I didn't like it. Then the contractor and the architect talked me into liking it (I felt it was too high).

I went out to the house today and the siding is completely finished on the front, along with window trim etc., and I hate it. Fixing it means ripping all the siding and trim off on the gable and starting over and we're left with the decision of whether we want to pay for that or deal with it. If I had just trusted my gut from the beginning we wouldn't face this.

I see people say this here all the time and it's so true: It's your house and it doesn't matter what anyone but you and your spouse think of it.

Comments (19)