SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Two lessons at the grocery store today

Alisande
4 years ago

One: While grocery shopping to day I was approached by the director of the concert choir I used to sing with. I hadn't seen him in at least 10 years, and I instinctively hugged him. No harm done, I'm sure, but it occurred to me later that when we're told to stop shaking hands, etc., it would be smart for me to rein in my hugging instincts.

Two: I was almost finished unloading my grocery items from my cart at the register when the woman on line behind me said, "I can help you with that," and started putting my items on the conveyor belt. I'm not young, but I'm pretty certain I didn't look like I needed help. In all my years of grocery shopping, no one has ever done this. I said, "That's okay, I've got it," but she just kept going. Fortunately, there wasn't much left.

It didn't seem like that big of a deal because everything we pick up at the grocery store has been touched by someone else, even if it's only stock clerks, and in this store--a discount grocery--people are always picking up items and reading the labels to see if there's an expiration date, or to look at the ingredients, or whatever. But then as I put my credit card into the machine she she stood unnecessarily close to me and coughed heavily into her hands. It wasn't a dry cough.

I felt like she was a freakin' Typhoid Mary. I wonder if she was playing some sort of sadistic game.

I'll be prepared next time if something like this ever happens again, but I bet it won't. At least I hope not.

Comments (7)