SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrseldoo

Hand Applique: Lesson Two

mrseldoo
16 years ago

Lesson Two: Preparing To Applique

Here is the template to print out: http://www.quilterscache.com/images11/SAHeart.gif

1.Preparing the Freezer Paper- Freezer paper is widely available at grocery stores. One side is dull and the other is shiny. The shiny side will melt and stick on fabric when ironed. You will want to use the dull side to draw on.

Now we will iron it to the RIGHT side of the fabric.

NOTE: If you would prefer to work with a line you can add it at this point and remove the freezer paper which is reusable. I prefer to use freezer paper unless I am doing deep VÂs, then I work with a line. The freezer paper is really great, though because it helps you keep your line. You will need to make TWO of these. You can save these to use for Reverse Appliqué in Lesson Four.

2.Cutting Your Fabric- You will want to make sure to cut your background fabric larger than you youÂre your block to be. Why? Appliqué can really shrink up your block and you donÂt want to end up with something too small. Also, if you use some spray starch on your background fabric, it will help to keep it nice while you are working on it.

FABRIC YOU SHOULD HAVE CUT OUT:

1. four 7x7 squares of your background

2. four squares (a little smaller or the same size as your background) of your focus fabric- two should have hearts ironed on

3. eight 2.5x2.5 squares if you want to end up with a snowball block

3. Creating Your Overlay- A page protector can be great to position your appliqué. If you want to make sure your hearts are in the same place on each block, use this method. You will need a template pencil which is removable with water. This way you can reuse the overlay again. First, mark a 7 inch square on the page using a ruler and your special pencil. Next slip your printed out heart template behind it and position the heart until you are happy with it, remembering to leave at least ¼ inch seam allowance on all sides.

Alternately you can crease your background fabric to position the appliqué correctly. I will show you how to do that in the next lesson.

Now you will be able to position your appliqué perfectly each time!

Homework:

1.Print out heart template.

2.Trace onto dull side of freezer paper, cut on line. Make 2

3.Iron both hearts to RIGHT side of your focus fabric making sure to leave ¼ seam allowance.

4.Cut out four 7 inch square background fabrics (save two for later!).

5.Optional: Create overlay

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS POST WHEN YOU ARE DONE SO I WILL KNOW I CAN MOVE ON.

-Jen

Comments (15)