SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

My first hand applique!

solstice98
14 years ago

I did it! After looking through books for a couple months, getting advice from you all and watching some tutorials on YouTube, I finally started my hand applique. The hardest part for me was actually starting. And then figuring out how to align the pieces which seemed pretty awkward until you told me how to do it. The sewing was a bit easier than I expected and it was wonderfully restful. I like being able to sit in the family room with DH, watch TV and sew. It's more fun than running off to the sewing room by myself. And in cold weather it's warmer to be in the same room as the fireplace, too!

At first it seemed like the preparation time was extreme and I wondered if I was going to keep up with the project (a Baltimore Album Quilt) - all that tracing, cutting out pieces, ironing them onto fabric... I'm not very patient and this all took too long! LOL But then I got into it and enjoyed the details of the pattern.

I think I'm hooked on hand applique, but after all that I decided I don't like the first pattern I used. It's from the American Quilter's Society 'Baltimore Album Quilt' book. I was sure I would love it, but I don't. I think I may still use some blocks from this book, but I'll use batiks and a white background instead. Not sure what I'm going to do with this block, but since I worked so hard on this first one I wanted to share a picture with you all.

It might end up being a pillow, but will probably become the center of a wallhanging. I learned so much doing this! How far to clip to make curves come out curvier, working with the points to make them pointier, which fabrics I liked working with, etc. My second block, the one I'll use in the BA quilt, is posted under the '2010 bom/ba' heading.

Kate

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County