Best Books Read in 2020
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
Related Discussions
Best books to read before designing/planning a home?
Comments (5)No book can give you an architect's education and intimate kowledge of historical design, engineering, and mechanical systems. Unless you've got 6 years or so before you start building. However, you could start with your local building code. You'll need to be well familiar withit. And for a little theory on relationships and what works, A Pattern Language (Alexander) and Patterns of Home (Jacobsen). To stay away from builder cliches, What Not To Build (Edelman, et al.). What Your Contractor Can't Tell You (Johnston) for how to communicate and organize with professionals. The Susanka ''Not So Big'' series, but especially, Creating The Not So Big House. Designing Your Perfect House (Hirsch) Getting Your House Right (Cutsato). Better Houses, Better Living (Ferguson) Kitchen Design With Cooking In Mind (Silvers)....See MoreWhats the Best fiction book you ever read?
Comments (15)I'm not sure that I can really choose a "best book" ever read either. Because when I start thinking about it, then more and more books enter the competition, and then I start reading the thread, and books discussed by the rest of you (like The Pillars of the Earth ) need to be seriously considered. I think I prefer to answer the question as if it had been worded, "If I were to ask you what is the best fiction book you ever read, which book comes to your mind first?" It is always, for me, The Count of Monte Cristo. The language is elegant. The story captured me and wouldn't let go. And finally, it is exquistely constructed. There are no superfluous details that are there to distract the reader from the story. It all comes around at the end, there are no leftovers, and nothing seems awkwardly stuck in to make it fit.Whenever I think of it, I can remember small details as well as the main themes. And thinking of it still takes my breath away....See MoreBest books read in 2013
Comments (25)Honestly, I read a lot. I should make a list and keep track because I am not sure if I read a book in 2012 or the first part of 2013. So, I will be choosing books from the past six months. Science fiction: The Windup Girl I loved the setting in a futuristic Thailand, the plot, just a great read. "The Windup Girl is a biopunk science fiction novel written by Paolo Bacigalupi and published in September 2009. It was named as the ninth best fiction book of 2009 by TIME magazine,[1] and as the best science fiction book of the year in the Reference and User Services Association's 2010 Reading List.[2] This book is a 2009 Nebula Award and a 2010 Hugo Award winner (tied with The City & the City by China Miéville for the Hugo Award), both for best novel.[3] This book also won the 2010 Compton Crook Award and the 2010 Locus Award for best first novel." A Tale for the Time Being I had a lot of fun discussing this one here so perhaps that has something to do with this choice! The Orenda by Joseph Boyden. He is a Canadian author, and this novel is "a defining epic story of first contact between radically different worlds, steeped in the natural beauty and brutality of our country's formative years." There are three narrators, a captive Iroquois girl, A Huron leader and a Jesuit. Boyden did his research, I found it fascinating and learned a lot. Also I just finished it last night, so it is very fresh in my memory, lol....See MoreBest time to read a good book ?
Comments (33)Rouan, I would be interested to know if the Vicks works on your particular black fly bites. This morning I found a cluster of bites on my chest and no idea what made them. I did try rubbing on a Dettol cream but that did no good for the painful itch so went back to my arthritis heat cream Dencorub and that has taken away the itch. WARNING .....Don't read this next part if you get queasy.....I find that heat cream raises a blister containing the poison so I pop it and then put on an anti-septic cream so the open sore doesn't get infected. This speeds up the healing from a mozzie bite by a couple of days I have found. Back to books! I have a couple I have started but can't get into them. They were both library requests of authors I like but I have failed to get interested in the plots. I blame this unseasonal weather. It is supposed to be summer but days go from humid to cool and back again. My daughter had a storm in her suburb which has ripped off roofs! The winds were rated at a Category 2 cyclone strength....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
DENS AND LIBRARIES20 Book Lover’s Spaces That Will Make You Want to Read
Borrow these ideas from spaces designed around a love of books
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Dream Summer Reading Spots and the Books That Go With Them
Get inspired by these inspiring outdoor spaces to create your own reading spot — and a new reading list
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Basements of 2020
Home bars, kitchenettes, game tables, cozy reading spots — see the features that made these the top spaces
Full Story
ATTICS8 Tips to Turn Your Attic Into a Snug Reading Nook
If your cherished "me" time starts with a book, take a page from these ideas for converting your attic into a reading heaven
Full Story


laceyvail 6A, WV