SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

December 2020, Week 2

dbarron
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Oh my, it's startling to say this starts week 2 of the final month of 2020, isn't it?

I'm doing my Christmas time (roughly) rewatch of Lord of the Rings (being very much a Tolkien fan) and today is 'Return of the King'.

The long range forecast is pretty mild (though who knows how accurate it is) with nightly low temperatures ranging from 25 to 35, with the exception of two nights (Wed and Thur this week) that insist on being in the mid 40s with highs those days in the 60s. That's probably excellent for most plants to get winter chilling, hopefully cold enough?

Everything pretty much (certain exceptions like hellebores) is going into it's winter rest now (the crinums as of late this past week now look melted, but I know they'll be growing again in 3 months). I'm looking forward to late winter (bulbs) and spring now. I checked my spreadsheet last night and found that in 17 more days, I have Echinacea hybrid seed (Mellow Yellow strain) to pull out of the fridge and sow into germination pots. They probably didn't need stratification, but it seemed better to be safe than sorry (and easier before they're in pots of soil vs wet paper towels). I have three baggies of different seeds in the fridge and the other two will be coming out on the 15th and 30th respectively of January.

I'm also looking forward to seeing most (if not all?) of what I grew from seed last year, blossoming in this coming year. I am unsure if the red hot pokers will attain enough size to bloom, though I can say I have 'enough' of them, I think I have 8 groups with typically 3 in each now. The joys of overly successful seeding, right? Same with coral bells (heuchera), I have six or eight seedling clumps with I dunno how many in each (possibly up to ten), with varying foliage. I just hope this years seeding is as successful as last years. At least I have (so far) fewer things going on...last year was you can't leave house for more than a day (or maybe a few hours even) because there are things that will dry out if not tended 3 times a day (sigh)...of course an emergency action would be to move all to the shady northside, which would probably give me maybe 2 days (depending on wind and temperature) grace. Gardening succesfully, especially with small plants, is labor intensive.

Comments (78)