SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmello94

1930s main floor plan dilemma

chris mello
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm looking into a first home and I came across an interesting dutch colonial built in 1930 in a nice area, but I am concerned over the floor plan. The entry way to the kitchen and dining room are different sizes and you see them as soon as you walk into the house. Any ideas on what to do with this? Also is it a bit odd to have 2 openings visible on the same wall?

I am thinking a "simple" way to get it feeling a little more balanced is to make the cased opening wider and slide it over to line up with the window so it matches the dining room entryway width. But is 2 cased openings awkward since the main entrance is right in the living room and you would have a view of both straight away? Are there any example photos of this where it works?

The only other options in my head are to either restore the original layout (floorplan looks like a sears puritan) and close the entry way to the kitchen but I feel that would make the flow awkward, or make it fully open concept and lose the charm (details on the ceiling of dining room and kitchen).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (21)