SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_778522450

Need help updating 80's home and all it's honey oak everything

HU-778522450
3 years ago

Hi! My husband and I bought our first home, and it's our dream home structure wise! It's sitting on an amazing half acre lot, surrounded by trees and wildlife, and we love it! It's in great shape for being built in 1984, and the previous owners lived there for 27 years and really cared for it.

But it was built in the 80's and no major renovations were done. So everything around the house is basically honey oak. Windows, doors, cabinets, beam, some ceilings, flooring, etc.

I am new to remodeling since this is our first home and we've been renting so far. My husband thinks we just need to paint all walls white and be done. But I think it would be great to renovate some areas of the house if possible. Needless to say we are on a budget, and replacing all oak items is not an option at the moment.

Any ideas that could help us spruce up the house without major replacements/renovations?

Btw, almost all our furniture are either white or espresso colors, I feel like it will clash horribly with the honey oak colors. We might choose to stain or paint our furniture, or stain or paint some of the honey oak items. Some pictures of the empty house for reference (sorry for the low quality pictures).

Comments (30)