SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crisssyk

Need Help Updating 80's Oak Kitchen

crisssyk
14 years ago

My kitchen looks like l989 with honey oak cabinets and the blue formica countertop. My budget is very limited (1 wedding and 2 yet in college) so a total overhaul is completely out of the question. The cabinets are solid oak and were custom and remain in very good shape. I don't think I would paint them as I've read that oak does not paint over very well due to the graining. So I plan to try and work around the oak cabinets. As for the appliances, they are less than 5 years old, bisque and would prefer to keep them, too. I've tried bringing a coastal theme using blues and whites and cream walls to update, but I think it still looks dated. My goal is to tie the kitchen and the adjoining familyroom together in color and theme. The dining room has tan, gold and red and the family room has similar tones. Most obvious is the countertop. Should I change the kitchen seating and stools? If so, what color--more black? but what about the cream appliances--will the black stools and chairs clash? Hardware? Lighting? Window treatment? Countertop color? Thank you

Comments (19)