SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_calko

Can I change a ceiling fan switch and wiring from one wire to two?

Laura C
3 years ago

I'm not exactly sure how to ask this question with the correct terminology, but I'll try my best. We are remodeling our kitchen from 1970's to 2020. It's been a year long process. Some of it we contracted out, while other parts we are doing ourselves. The electric we are doing mostly ourselves. This includes updating our ceiling fan. Our old 1970's ceiling fan is currently a pull string, with one string controlling the light, and the other string controlling the fan. The light and fan features are both connected to a single wire, which leads to a single on/off switch on our wall.

We recently purchased an updated ceiling fan (well past the return window). This ceiling fan comes with a wall switch that has two separate controls for the ceiling fan; one switch for the fan, and another switch for the light...requiring two wires to hook up to this switch. However, our current switch only has one wire to control the fan/light.

Is there some way to get around this electric problem so we can still install and use our new fan? We would not like to go through the wall to add another wire (it would be too expensive to contract out and too work intensive for us) and honestly I would rather just get a newer looking, simple pull string fan for a hundred bucks. I just really like the fan we purchased so would rather use that.

If you have any insight, please let me know. Thank you!

Comment (1)