SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Bread - and health care in the time of COVID

agmss15
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Apologies for a whiny post... things are improving..

My mom fell in early November. She became increasingly uncomfortable and eventually weak... after many twists and turns with the Covid era medical world it turns out she has a fractured pelvis. Plus we have all learned she is an absolutely dreadful patient - both with professionals and her family. Demanding and then refusing to use both medications and resources. Culminating in a Thanksgiving day AMA escape after less a day in rehab. As my sister put it ‘she isn’t using her nice voice’ when dealing with others.

So she is home and immobile although improving. We finally got PT and OT coming in.. Both her and her partner are punchy with lack of sleep. They are both artists who have accumulated an exhausting amount of wonderful possessions that are in the way of her negotiating her space with a walker or a wheelchair. And he in particular feels challenged if anything is moved. I was hoping the OT would provide me instructions/cover to move some stuff but he was too polite.

So I have been trying to help without rocking the boat. Bringing meals - neither to big or small. To encourage her to do her PT exercises. To give her partner a break to either nap or have outside visits with his grandsons.

But it means being in their house for a few hours every day or so without doing anything to rock the boat. So I baked... That at least met their approval.

Sourdough bread - a mix of King Arthur and Maine grains flours. I spent a few days waking up a long refrigerated starter. (Several batches of waffles were involved) I often put bread dough outside on my porch overnight rather than the fridge. It was really ‘warm‘ that night. Super over proofed. I wasn’t sure if I would end up with hockey pucks. I reshaped and let rise again. Nice spring. Ok crumb.

Comments (3)