SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregg_h2

Replacing exterior door - how to handle vinyl siding trim

Gregg z6a-CT
3 years ago

I need to replace an exterior door but I'm not sure how to handle the exterior siding and trim without making a big project out of it. It's old 80's vinyl with aluminum flashing and vinyl j-channel. It's dated and a little chalky but it was installed very well and is in fine shape and I'm planning to get another 5-10 years out of it. It may be somewhat brittle to rework but there's no evidence of that (no breakage anywhere). The door is fairly well sheltered by deep eaves overhanging and only sees water in very windy storms, so I'm ok if it's not the pinnacle of perfect water protection for the next few years until I redo the whole siding.. except for the threshold being nearly on-grade and snow which I can sort out.

Here's a couple pictures. Does anyone have any tips or thoughts - or videos addressing this particular aspect (there are plenty good videos about the door hanging itself, which I'm comfortable with). I know how I'd install a door in a open wall before installing siding but tying into the existing stuff without pulling it back... hmmm.

Comments (11)