SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Maximo Large Format Tile Pattern Help

rfharmon
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello,

We are putting the finishing touches on our master bathroom and are left with one major decision.... how to install the large format tile we bought on our walls.

This is the tile (we purchased a grout that will blend well with the tile to make it loo more uniform):

And it will be installed on both walls of the shower and along the entire wall that extends to where the bathtub is located (right bolded wall in diagram below):

People have given us several ideas of what to do, but we really just aren't sure what will look best:

Option 1: Stacked vertically (pro is that you will only have two tiles stacked vertically and thus only one horizontal grout lines, cons are that you will have one single grout line along the wall):

Option 2: Staggered 33% (this is what the box recommends and it does appear to best allow the tile to tell its story, con: more grout lines)

Option 3 Stacked horizontally (pros: compact design with minimal grout lines, cons: feels a bit devoid of inspiration):

Broadbeach Waters Lux Town Houses · More Info

Comments (85)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Most definitely! I sincerely appreciate all of your support!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your amazing feedback and helping us get through our design block and fear. The tile is up on the back wall and it looks great. The counters are in as well, and now the tile will go up on the backsplash behind the mirrors.

We decided to go with hanging pendant vanity lights, because we like the elegance of the look. We are now deciding on mirrors. My husband really wants us to have a single large smart mirror that has LED light, anti-fog, weather and bluetooth music. I am not sure if that is the right look for this bathroom, and think it would be preferable to go with two individual mirrors with metal trim, rather than one large mirror. I am also thinking that with that look it might be a good idea to add a third pendant in the middle.

Would love everyone's thoughts as you have helped us get this far!

Here is how it currently looks (I put the tiles up so you can see how it will look with the tile backsplash):

These are the pendants we chose (as you can see from the picture, they will hang just outside the sink on either side of the vanity):

Effimero 1-Light Stem Hung Pendant Lamp, Frosted, Small, Black · More Info

And, here are some of our favorite looks from our ideabook:

Single metal mirror with two pendants:

Two mirrors, but adding a third pendant:

LED mirror option:

• Related Discussions

proper installation of large format field tile on walls. nice

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you Sophie. I have a couple of questions. Does the TCNA handbook actually state spot bonding is prohibited? Or does it simply state where spot bonding is an acceptable installation; W215, W260, W215 Stone & W260 Stone, none of which apply here? If it does address the issue of being a poor & problematic installation method therefore prohibited in all cases except the 4 above installations, when was this added to the handbook? I read in 2014 people were still calling for it to be prohibited. Also how could I tell what type of adhesive this is? I’m going to go after the installing company to take it down, (replacing any they break at their expense) & installing it correctly. Each tile weighs over 12 lbs & it may not but chances sound pretty darn good sometime down the road the installation is going to fail. Alternatively I may look into getting the $1952 I paid for installation refunded & since if it’s fails I will have wasted my money for the cost of the tile because of their installation I may try to get the $2550 I paid for the tile back as well. Before I do that though I want to have my ducks in a row. The tile was installed end of November 2016. Any further advice you can offer as to my potential claim against them would be helpful as well. Not legal advice of course but in terms of the legitimacy of the potential problems we face with the tile & the illegitimacy of their installation.
    ...See More

Please help me with my kitchen backsplash- large format tile!

Q

Comments (22)
    I like large tile for backsplash and am doing the same for the same reason, I couldnt get a third slab they didn't have one. I got 24x24 and I'm paying to have a professional install as it's tricky. So far looks lovely! Sizing to space properly is critical I found out from my tiler and he was right. If you have found your perfect tile, you can make it work well. If it's just ok, then I would send it back and look at long narrow floor tiles, or 24x24 or bigger to get your look. That is just what I finished going through. Now I'm stumped on tile for my fireplace..
    ...See More

Large format floor tile lineup with linear shower drain help

Q

Comments (6)
    laynemcd24, can you share what size and type of tile you are using on the shower floor? We are planning to do large porcelain tile on the shower floor with a linear drain, just like you. I know it's always recommended to use smaller tiles on the shower floor for more grout lines and traction (and for sloping toward the drain), and I know we'll need to find a tile with an appropriate DCOF so that it's not slippery.
    ...See More

Large format porcelain tile kitchen floor with Taj Mahal counters

Q

Comments (27)
    Believe it or not, when the rubber hit the road, we decided to keep the original slate floors. We will be cleaning, sealing and enhancing them. I'll post photos when we're done.
    ...See More
  • et phonehome
    3 years ago

With pendants I like having two separate mirrors and having 3 pendants, especially since it seems that your pendants are in the smaller side. And I agree that having mirrors with pretty trim looks nicer.... But if your husband really wants the functionality of the led light mirrors then maybe you should do that to make him happy. I don't know how your relationship works regarding decorating. Personally I make all our indoor decisions (I show my husband everything, and he usually just nods his head... Sometimes I wonder if he's paying attention because it's just not his thing ;) ) so if he ever makes a request I bend over backwards to accommodate him because it's so rare. But maybe your husband is more involved and isn't quite as attached to this idea as I'm imagining. You could possibly compromise by getting two led mirrors. In my opinion we have our phones to check the weather and play music if we want it in the bathroom. I'm not sure why we need it in the mirror. But that's just me

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

One more thought, since you are already planning on pendants if you put in recessed lights you won't have a need for the led light in the mirror.

Also, I stayed in a hotel a few years ago that had one of the led lights and it was really hard for me to see properly to put on my make up (I don't wear a lot of make up and I was in my twenties - it wasn't my eyes!) I know that there are people who love these mirrors but make sure you are one of them before buying one

rfharmon thanked et phonehome
  • rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@etphonehome, we ditched the led mirrors for this bathroom. I appreciate your candor! Now I have 3 pendants lights on the ceiling.

You mentioned recessed lights, I have saw a few bathrooms on Houzz with this look. I'm wondering if this is a preference of yours for my space?

• seosmp
    3 years ago

Quick question - can you provide the exact tile you are using - and where you got it from? Thanks!

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

I think that recessed lights provide good ambient light while not making much of a design statement. Then you have the pendants for the design aspect and side lighting which is important in a bathroom. I think the combination is the ideal situation

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@etphonehome, that makes sense. We have this center of the bathroom overhead light in this bathroom, so ambient lighting should be efficient? It has 1600 lumens and changes to 50,000 colors... I would have loved a chandelier but the bathroom is on 7'6" tall.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@etphonehome, it just dawned on me the 2 of the bathrooms that we discussed have the grey floor tiling running up the wall. Just wondering if that changes your mind about leaving the center wall blank.

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

It sounds like that might be enough light but I'm no lighting expert so maybe someone else can chime in on that (or if the lights are already installed you can see for yourself).

I don't remember what tile you have in the floor in there. I tried to look at the earlier posts but I'm a little confused which is inspiration and which is your bathroom. If it's a grey tile then you can most likely put it on that wall but it isn't necessary and would be more money. But it would probably be nice so I would just say that it's whatever you like. If you'll always look at that wall and wish that you had tiled it then do it. If it were me I would probably want to save the money since it's kind of an expensive extra (in my eyes) but it's up to you

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey guys, same bathroom, new question, are you all fans of me adding 2 or 3 white oak shelves inside of this bathroom above the (invisible) tankless smart toilet? To note, my counter is white, my finishes will be black, the ceilings are 7’4”, and the wall tile has not been grouted yet but I will grout it in avalanche (i.e. White).

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

Is there any wood in the bathroom anywhere else?

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are no permanent wood features in this bathroom but I bought a wood lazy Susan for the counter and planned to add either a wood stool or wood bathtub caddy for accents. BUT, if I didn't think there was a chance that I was making a mistake by adding wood shelves, I wouldn't be asking for your opinion so please share your thoughts.

Here is a better picture of my bathroom (missing: pure white wall paint, rectangular black mirror, black towel rack, and a matte white freestanding bathtub)

and my design inspiration pictures for the tub caddy and the wood bathroom bench.

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

I think it would be nice if it's not the only wood element in the room. But maybe someone else wants to weigh in on whether it would possibly make the room a little dated in the future. So far everything you picked is very classic and probably will never go out of style. This might be leaning a little trendy.... But maybe you're OK with that or maybe I'm reading too much into this :)

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You just called my selections classics and made my heart melt, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

Lol!

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

I was so happy to find your post! We're remodel twins! Your post helped me get over some of the second guessing I'm having on my selections. We're having this same tile installed in our master bath remodel which is underway now. The tile goes in next week. We're having it installed using a 1/3 staggered pattern which will be floor to ceiling on all walls and the shower walls. We will have similar style vanities as yours and also white quartz countertops. It's great to see your pictures to get a better visual of our plans. I love everything you've done and hope to see more pictures soon!

I do have a few questions if you don't mind....what grout color are you using? We're hoping to match as closely to the tile color as possible. How did you handle the exposed tile edges-did you do a pencil liner or something else? What is the color name of your white quartz? Your picture with the quartz next to the tile looks great. I need to choose soon and was afraid anything too bright white wouldn't blend well with the tile.

Yikes, sorry for all the questions and thanks for any input you care to provide! I'd also appreciate any other feedback you think would be helpful as well.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Gracie, best wishes with your tile installation! I brought 4-5 different samples of white quartz to my home before selecting my quartz. Always ask me your questions!

I think this is an important step because the tile itself pulls off-white so white quartz that pulls blue or is stark white will clash with the tile. I bought Design Studio Just White quartz because it was a jumbo slab that I needed for my kitchen and it did not clash with the cabinets or this bathroom tile. You can find it here: https://www.designstoneusa.com/essential-series/just-white/. MSI and Daltile also have white quartz that work, just stay away from the tile with the big flake in it it- it looks cheap and has too much personality for this modern tile.

Also, I used the quartz in the shower niche and on my shower bench. It was a nice finishing touch!

Just wondering, what tile did you choose for you bathroom and shower floors?

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Regarding the wood shelves: I think they’re a great idea if you add one or two more wood accessories. A wood garbage can? A teak bench? So far, this bathroom is fabulous. I hope you’re loving it because it sure looks like what you said you wanted!

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

Thanks rfharmon for the quartz info! I'll check it out. We're going with a 12x24 light gray concrete-look porcelain tile on the floor and a concrete-look penny tile for the shower floor. What did you use? I'd love to see pictures!

We're also going with white quartz for the bench and also the shower curb. We have two separate vanities so I'm hoping we have enough left from one slab. My plan as of now is to use the same Maximo tile for the shower niche.

Do you have any exposed tile edges? We'll have a couple of outside corners that will have the edges exposed and I'm torn on if I want a liner or if I should go another route.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We used concept grey 12x24 tiles on the floors and the 1” concept grey hexagons in our shower floor. Both can be found on the floor and decor website.

we used white metal trim on our corners. It looks nice but silver looked better, in the floor and decor Demo (see picture). We were supposed to use silver but someone made a mistake. silver won’t be an option for you tho, since your going with warmer (brown) floor and shower tile unless you are using silver finishes. I’m using black faucets, etc. So, maybe, try white trim? they sell 5/16 tile trim (the size that you will need for this tile) at Home Depot, Lowes, and Floor and decor.

Clarification, the back is my shower niche is this tile, the shelves around surround is Quartz.

my only concern/ about your design is using this glossy tile for your shower landing. I thought and still think having 3 different horizontal floors (shower, landing, and bathroom floor) was too busy.

I’ll try to post pictures of my finished bathroom soon. My house is currently being painted so everything is taped up.

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

One other thought is that you want something with some texture for a bathroom floor so it will be less slippery. A glossy tile might be slippery

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

Thank you both for the feedback. Just to clarify, the 12x24" concrete look tiles are not glossy at all. Actually they have a good bit of texture. Same with the concrete look penny tile, it has a rougher texture and is rated for shower floors. Both flooring tiles are light gray instead of brown toned-the picture isn't great so I linked it below to show the gray color better.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/organic-resin-smoke-porcelain-tile-100195973.html#prefn1=productSubtype&prefv1=Floor+or+Wall+Tile&prefn2=shape&prefv2=Rectangle&prefn3=size&prefv3=12+x+24&sz=120&showBrand=true&start=1

Excellent point about the quartz shower landing! Especially having a white strip running alongside all gray flooring. I agree that would look rather busy and now I'm stumped. I'd rather have a single piece with no grout lines. Ideally, I would like a poured concrete look. Back to the drawing board on that.

Our contractor is also recommending the white metal Schluter trim which is what I think we'll do. I want it to blend closely to the tile instead of using a contrasting color like silver. In a perfect world the outside corners would be mitered but that is a no-go. I'd love to see a close up picture of your trim.

Forgot to mention, the water closet walls will not be tiled. I'll probably have those walls and all the ceilings painted to match the tile field background since there will already be a lot going on with all the tile.

We had a snafu with the vanity sizing and placement limitations once a wall was removed so now we're scrambling to get custom cabinets which will take several more weeks. The plan is to keep moving forward and we'll just have everything else finished except for the vanities and sinks. I've made so many changes in the past week, our contractor is probably ready to kill me!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We used the large tile for our shower landing. It's only 6" by 36" wide so it worked perfectly with no grout lines. How big is your shower landing that you can't use this oversized tile? BTW, we used avalanche grout by Mapei for the large tile.

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a picture of my shower niche with the quartz surround (covered in plastic, due to paint). The back is our oversized tile.

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

Beautiful shower wall and niche! I can't tell you how exciting is it to see your pictures. I've been so nervous about this tile and you've helped to put my mind at ease. I'd love to see a pic of your shower landing if you get a chance.

Our landing is probably close to the size as yours if we measure from the front of the shower to where the bench starts, so no, there wouldn't be grout lines with the large tile (honestly, we didn't even think to use the large tile but that may be a good option). We were planning to use the white quartz for the shower landing but I agree that's a lot of different surfaces in/near the shower. I would like to use something like our gray floor tile for the landing if it was available in a large format to avoid grout lines. Thanks for the input and the info on the grout color!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is not my picture. This is another bathroom from above but this example is very similar to what I saw at Floor and Decor, as an example with this tile-- Silver trim (which never of us will use :-) and our tile on the landing.

I added the quartz shower niche surround because someone on Houzz had our tile and it made the bathroom look more expensive and nice more thought-out. I got this shower quartz tile for $250 from a scrap yard but was willing to pay my original quartz fabricator $750 for it but they never delivered it. Point of reference for value to me-- in case you're considering this option.

I actually pain for a quartz shower landing to be cut out of my counter top material but did not use it.-- this is how bad of an idea that I think this is....

My fear of using this oversized tile is that it would look like a lazy design choice/c it is so big until I saw it installed at an expensive tile store and I knew immediately that it was a good choice. Also, the expensive tile/quartz stores also have a more expensive version of this tile (it is very similar quality). I think the worst thing that we can do is overly design a bathroom with this over sized tile, KISS. I've seen it overly designed (like the floor and decor, for example) and it just ages the bathroom unnecessarily and makes the tile look cheap to me.

I will try to take a picture of my bathroom ASAp but again, it is currently covered in plastic now due to painting.

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

Thank you for the visual. I know you must be excited to be so close to completion. We're a long way off but they did put up three tiles on the walls today and I love it. We were going to do a 1/3 staggered but now we're doing a 1/2 staggered. It works out much better with our wall sizes (an odd shaped room). I was worried about a zipper effect but the tiles are so large it doesn't give that vibe.

Turns out my shower landing is 58" long so I was way off (brain is mush from all these measurements) and the large tile will not be long enough. After speaking with the contractor, I may end up using the quartz on the landing since it will be on the shower bench and also the top of the shower half wall (will be a half wall above where the bench is). My concern was breaking up the all gray floors with a single strip of white quartz but I forgot the large format tile will be tiled up the shower curb sides (the curb side tile also connects to the bench side tile and the wall tile on the other end) so it may work but I'm still thinking it through. He recommended doing all three surfaces in the same quartz for consistency. I didn't even think about the top of the half wall because originally I was going to have that be a full back wall until I saw it framed up and it blocked too much of the room. Actually, the pic you posted above is making me reconsider taking the glass all the down to the bench on the back shower wall instead of the half wall. The only reason I didn't do that in the first place was I think I would feel a bit exposed, lol. UGH, so many decisions!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can anyone please give me their thoughts about my mirror sections? This is a 24”x36” rectangular mirror and a 30” round mirror. Does both need to be larger? do you prefer round or rectangular?

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

I think the rectangular mirror is perfect.

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

I also like the rectangular one

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

I would center the mirror between the lights even though it won't be center over the sinks

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@et phonehome, using which shaped mirror? Round or rectangular? also, I have a larger round mirror here For your review.

if you prefer rectangular shape, maybe I need a larger rectangle mirror too?

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

I definitely like the rectangular one. I think the size is OK, you could go bigger (not too much) but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle to look for something just a little bigger. I love the way it's coming out!

• rfharmon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey guys, I have another question about this bathroom. I'm struggling to decide the right height for the enclosed shower doors. I originally saw tile on the ceiling and a steam shower but that didn't happen although I have hardy board on this showering ceiling but now I can't help but think that these shower doors should go to the ceiling. Please help me decide.

My bathroom:

Example of bathroom w/glass to ceiling:

Example of bathroom with glass stopping before ceiling:

• et phonehome
    3 years ago

If it were me I would do whatever is standard (which is not all the way to the ceiling). Regardless, there needs to be a way for air to circulate. So you can see in the picture you posted that there is a vent. It seems to me like unnecessary work when you could just have a gap between the glass and the ceiling. Plus, less glass means less expensive. (Unless you are doing a steam shower. I don't know anything about those, maybe those need the glass all the way to the ceiling. But, as I said, I have no idea how those work)

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

We just did the glass measurements a few days ago. Our ceiling is 96" high and our glass will be 80" high to allow for ventilation. The standard height 76" per the three glass companies that gave us estimates. Going up 4 more inches was just an additional $100.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but I'm not having the silicone beading at any point where the stationary glass panels meet the shower curb, the bench, or the half wall base. That was important to me after a ton of research and seeing what others are doing with success to combat the mildew stains in the silicone. All three glass companies we spoke with were fine with it and said a lot of homeowners are now requesting this. However, our GC's glass company was going to require us to have the silicone beading at the bases and were told by our GC to find our own glass company so we did.

If by chance you are providing the shower door handle, you'll need to have it available when ordering/measuring. This is delaying the fabrication until it arrives (hopefully today). They explained the holes for the handles are made when the entire door panel is fabricated and they need the actual handle (not just the spec sheet). I assumed they just cut the holes on site but it doesn't work that way. I just wanted a specific handle that tied in with our cabinet hardware.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

I found your post at around 1 a.m. this morning! Due to an unexpected delay (new subcontractor will rip out poorly constructed shower pan in order to install code compliant one), I am considering re-designing part of my master bathroom.

I really like the look of slab showers - however, because I am completing several projects in a row, my budget didn’t like the cost (I decided to put $$ towards stacked upper cabinets in the kitchen). Last night, I ran across some LFT tiles (real marble ones and porcelain “marble” tiles).

I started thinking about using four 24x48 tiles - stacked horizontally. My shower will be approx 48 x 44. I was thinking that if I used the minimum allowable grout line + a grout color that will blend into the tiles, the resulting look will be similar to installing a slab. I started searching to try and see if this was a “stupid” idea . . . And I found this thread!!

I would LOVE to see some new photos of your bathroom! I don’t know if you’ve finished it yet, but whatever you’re willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

I have a meeting tomorrow morning with my contractor and the new subcontractor. I would like to make a decision today (if possible) so I can fully discuss this type of install with both of them tomorrow. In order to do so intelligently, I have a few Qs for you:

1. Were the tiles supported manually while the mortar cured? I know that there is specific mortar for LFT - still seems like a lot of weight! Was a special saw used to cut the tiles? While I know it isn‘t my “job” to plan the installation of the tiles, I would like to have some basic understanding of the additional planning/labor/materials/etc. involved as they will affect the cost of installation. Was your bid based upon using LFTs - or did you choose LFTs after receiving your initial bid? If you decided to use LFTs after receiving your initial bid, how much of an increase did you pay for using LFTs?

2. How ”realistic” are the tiles your using? I saw some porcelain slabs while hunting for countertops. They were really beautiful. The veining on the porcelain slabs were much more realistic than on quartz slabs. If the installation process for porcelain countertops wasn’t so intimidating, I would purchase them for my kitchen instead of using real marble in a heartbeat! I assume that someone makes LFT that look the same as the porcelain slabs for countertops. I am not sure if I simply need to look for tiles that have been created with inkjet printing or if I should be trying to find something else. Is there any way you could take a few close-up photos of your tiles in some natural light? I understand that this may be difficult because you most likely tried to avoid having an extra 8’ tile just laying around (LOL) - but maybe you have some scrap pieces? I’d like to narrow my focus on LFTs because I don‘t have a lot of time to order new tiles for the project! I am still considering using real marble LFTs - but they are about 48 lbs! I believe that is about twice as heavy as the tiles you bought at F&D. Scares me! 😳

3. What did you decide to do re: height of glass enclosure? I will have to end my glass below the ceiling (ceiling starts at 9.5’ and vaults to 11’ over the shower). I’d also love to see a close up shot of the metal edging you used.

4. How many extra tiles did you purchase? Were any tiles broken during installation?

Thanks for starting this thread! It‘s been very helpful. Looking forward to seeing your bathroom - it will be STUNNING when completed!!

• graciepunkin
    3 years ago

Hopefully the original poster will chime as they were extremely helpful when I had questions about this tile. In the meantime I'll be glad to share my limited experience. We're not finished yet and have had some hiccups but none involving the tile installation. We had the tile installed on all wall surfaces floor to ceiling except in the water closet. It thought the tile installation would be much bigger deal than it turned out to be. I should note that tile is kind of our contractors specialty so I felt comfortable with them doing the tile. One person did all of the tile install and he did a great job. It actually turned out better than I imagined and I was really second guessing my decision to the LFT tile before the project started. To answer a few of your questions....

1. He did not use any type of support while the tile cured. He started from the floor up and used the normal tile spacers in between. We did 1/2 offset.

2. The porcelain tiles are very realistic looking. I was concerned about pattern repeat but I do not see any-and trust me, I've looked excessively. It doesn't have that fake printed look that even some quartz faux marble patterns have. The tiles are heavy and come three tiles to a box. Some were broken and our F&D was great to work with and took those back.

3. We have 8 foot ceilings and went with 80 inch glass. Below are a few pics with one showing the closeup of the white Schluter trim which I am very happy with-I had my doubts before installation.

4. We bought a few extra tiles to keep in the attic just in case we have any issues down the line. We also kept the leftover cut pieces as well. I'm going on the assumption we may not be able to find the exact tile in the future or it could be from a very different dye lot. As far as I know there were no pieces broken during installation.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@graciepunkin - when I posted my questions above, I was in a hurry - so, I wasn‘t able look back through all of the comments to find your user name! I am so happy that you checked your notifications and found my comment!

I really appreciate your comments and photos. I’ve spent quite a bit of time during the past 24 hours trying to understand the increased difficulties caused by LFTs. Based upon several of the posts here on Houzz (as well as another forum), I actually was about to abandon the idea, until I came across this post. There are many comments which could lead someone to believe that it‘s nearly impossible to do (“walls will NEVER be plumb or level“/“you’re asking for trouble”/“you have to buy very expensive tile if you are even considering using LFT that size”/etc.) Obviously, you have to hire someone who has a good deal of experience handling these tiles.

I also appreciate your explanation re: how the veins look on the porcelain tiles. I remember being pretty disappointed the first time I saw some quartz countertops. While I know that there are many options, the first ones I saw looked very fake. When I saw a matte Statuario Panoramic Porcelain slab at daltile, I was shocked by how pretty it was (the glossy Jasper Gray slab was also beautiful).

Also - thanks for sharing your thoughts about repeat patterns! I always look for those when someone posts a photo of this type of tile. I am shocked about how many times there will be identical tiles right next to each other! I am a bit OCD about it - so, I appreciate hearing thoughts from someone who is also that way. Looks like I need to head over to F&D tomorrow to check out these tiles, plus go see the marble ones at a stone fabricator in town.

Your bathroom is really will look amazing when it‘s finished!

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@graciepunkin - have you finished your bathroom renovation? I would love to see how it looks!

• Cece m
    2 years ago

I'm so lucky to bump into this post! We bought this tile for our master bathroom yesterday(still needs to be picked up from F&D) and am looking for ideas on the tile pattern and flooring choices. @dmac1108, @graciepunkin I would love to see your finished bathroom pictures! Please share

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@Cece m - I would LOVE to share photos of my completed master bathroom with you . . . If it was finished!!!

It should have been finished a couple weeks ago - but we are dealing with contractor delays. For some reason, the completion of our bathroom has been pushed behind another project. I am NOT HAPPY right now.

We have several rooms that are being renovated - all are included in one bid from our contractor. He does really high quality work - but is very busy right now and appears to be having a difficult time juggling a few projects. The one that he’s been spending most of his time at for the last few weeks has an upcoming closing date - and all the work has to be finished.

He knows that we’re upset - he’s offered to throw in some extra work for free as compensation. Personally, I’d rather pay $$ and have the bathroom already completed.

The worst part of the delay = I keep second guessing exactly what I want to do in the bathroom. I continue to look online at different ideas - and I’m pretty sure that I’m driving my SO crazy!

What are your current plans for your bathroom? Maybe we can help each other finalize some design aspects!

• Cece m
    2 years ago

@dani_m08 - Sorry, your reno project has been delayed! We are in a similar situation as you, except our contractor is finding it hard to find additional helpers for the project in CA. He also cares about quality and just not finding the right ppl to help him. Our project was supposed to be completed by end of April, but looks like it will easily get dragged to the end of June now!

regarding the design - I'm trying to follow a minimalistic approach here, with 2 to 3 colors at the max. I like the subtle veins of Vittorio Bianco polished tile and initially just thought of adding it to the shower and soaking tub area. After seeing pics here, I decided to do the tile all over the vanity walls (will share pics of the unfinished bathroom soon). I have already ordered royal blue shaker vanity + planning to go with LED mirrors. For the floors, our F&D has a very limited supply of gray tiles, so planning to go with 17" hexagon tile https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/candler-gray-matte-porcelain-tile-100782374.html 

Please let me know your thoughts on this design

• S G
    2 years ago

@ceceM and @ Dmac - I am doing my bathroom along the same lines as you. Have looked at vittorio , Lagos blue and montevino onyx 24x48. Would you please share your pics and info if your projects are done. I am concerned about the large size. My bathroom is about 5x10 , 7 feet height with shower being 5x4
    Debating whether to tile the outer area in bathroom / back splash near vanity under the mirror ? Suggestions welcome !

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@Cece m - I somehow missed your comment until right now! Is your project moving along? It looks like mine is FINALLY starting to! I’m still irritated about the LONG delay - but at least I know that my GC does quality work.

If you’ve made progress, I’d love to see some photos! Although, they may make me jealous + may have the potential to cause me to second guess my recent decisions (see below).

@S G - well, I’ve had to switch my project up a bit. My GC was having an issue finding the right tile setter for such a large format tile. I decided that I am finished waiting - so, I purchased smaller real marble (4x12) to use instead.

I’m going to try to use some 24”x48” tiles to make my vanity in my upcoming powder room renovation.

I found a discussion thread where another user here on Houzz used this size to make a floating vanity (also tiled the wall behind). I really wanted to do a slab on the wall - but I needed to try to reign in my budget since I’m renovating several rooms in my house (including my kitchen). This user actually used the Lagos Blue tile from F&D.

Her user name is Annie B I think. I don’t know how to link a discussion to this thread - but if you do a search using Lagos Blue + something like ”what to do with remaining space when tiling a vanity” (that’s what she was asking a question about - ot sure of the exact wording - I’m gojng from memory) - I think you’ll find it. There was also another user who was asking a question about using Lagos Blue tile in her master bathroom. She wanted to add another blue tile either on the walls/floor - and wanted input from people. It was

probably around 6-8 weeks ago, so she could be finished with the project (I think sje was building a new house).

My bathroom is about 120 sf + vaulted ceiling (begins around 9 1/2 ft and goes up to 11 ft for 2/3rds of room (separate WC). Personally, I wouldn’t use such large tiles in a smaller bathroom (unless using them like in the above photos) - however, I’m an attorney and not an design professional - so, what do I know??!!?! 😂 I actually was concerned about using that such a large size in my bathroom which is why I found this discussion thread.

• S G
    2 years ago

Thank you ! I did find the other thread and the lady. My vanity wall will also have a toilet on the side snd is about 6x5 so if I do the larger tile there I am left with either tiling other walls or figuring out a design. I wanted to keep it simple yet eye catching as it’s a basement bathroom.
    I really like Lagos blue and montevino onyx , & vittario blanco

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@S G - Q - do you know how many patterns those tiles have? I assume they must have quite a few because repeating patterns in a 24x48 tile would be pretty easy to spot.

I think that you need to start your own thread. I understand if you’d rather not - sometimes people are kind of rude instead of being helpful. However, this is buried in here - not sure who will see it. I’m sure that some pros would be able to offer advice on how to do this.

If you decide to make your own post - make sure to:

post a scaled layout (if you can’t do it with an app, just make a sketch - that’s what I did)

post photos - even if not of your actual space. I wasn’t home + my bathroom was being gutted so actual photos didn’t have value initially. I did post some progress ones later when I had some additional questions. Include inspiration photos - this will capture people’s attention if you don’t post your own space.

be ready for some people to ask for photos of your entire house! 😂 I’m exaggerating— but there are some people who will say they need photos of all adjoining rooms in order to help. I’ve seen this happen when someone simply asks an opinion on a minor issue. You don’t have to provide them - just say that you’re not home!

Add some photos to your Houzz idea book - some people will look at that before they offer advice in order to understand your style. You might also want to add a sentence or two about that in your post.

All of the above should help you receive quite a few comments/suggestions.

If you do post photos of your actual home, be prepared for comments about telling you that you need to change things you aren’t posting about. Some people simply cannot pass up sharing tneir knowledge/opinions.

Most people who comment are thoughtful and very helpful. Your user name doesn’t really sound familiar to me so I’m not sure how many posts you’ve read on here. We may just not hit the same ones!

If you REALLY don’t want to make your own post, let me know. I will try to see if I can steer some people over here. I’ve developed a little bit of a ”relationship” with a few people during the past several months (I’m still relatively new - just started participating about 5-6 months ago).

• S G
    2 years ago

Thank you so much ! You have been very helpful. I did make a thread but haven’t received much of a response there. I am happy to post pics but honestly they may not make any sense as it’s all gutted. I’ll try to make a sketch and post. It’s a small bathroom so style is hard , want to keep minimal and along the lines of gray / white.