SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojome007

proper installation of large format field tile on walls. nice

mojome007
6 years ago
During our remodel last year I had 270SF of 8x48” porcelain field tile installed on the long wall that runs from the back the house in the dining room to front of the house in the living room. I specifically asked the GC to use a tile guy that was more of an artist-type installer than a “tile guy” installer-type. I specifically asked about using cement board vs installing on the drywall. I specifically asked that they KNOW how it should be done & have prior experience doing work exactly as this. After it was done I was disappointed to see the stair step pattern you can see in the photos since I specifically said. Random. Random-random. But over the last year I notice it less & people say they didn’t see it till I pointed it out. I have an eye for detail I guess. Anyway now because we removed a wall misdiagnosed by a structural engine as non-load bearing when in fact it was load bearing, although we placed the correct size beam in the ceiling above where the wall was a problem appeared upstairs with a wall that sits over another beam that meets the rest of that wall that we kept. (The unremoved portion of the wall). The doorway in the upstairs wall fell on one side 1/2” & the floor shows slope. Long story short, different structural engineer diagnosed problem & we are having it fixed. Part of the correction is to verify the jack studs in the walls on each end of this beam. Since the remodel one of those walls has brand new mahogany built-ins on it & the other side... you guessed it. The tile. Unable to see what was in the wall even though they tried from outside, under & over it, they finally removed the top piece of tile. Everyone commented on the manner in which the adhesive was applied. Doesn’t look like any thunder either. But then again they had not used cement board & applied it to the Sheetrock. I had been told this was an acceptable way or a fine way or whatever way to do this install. My question is (luckily) the tile came off in one piece & perhaps it’s suggested because they did not use enough adhesive or apply it correctly. Can anyone advise as to whether this is fine or eventually the tile will fall
off the wall because is not the way it should have been done & to add insult to injury it’s going to tear up the hardwood floor when it hits. Lol. Laughing through my tears.

Comments (3)