SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kobes51

Reveal: small bath with large format "marblelain" tile

badgergal
10 years ago

In a recent post, GWer Hunzi coined the word "marblelain" as a name for porcelain tiles that look like marble. So thanks to Hunzi, this is the first marblelain reveal on GW.

The bathroom in this reveal is my daughter's main bath. Since she is a busy, working new mom, I pre-shopped for tile, countertop, plumbing fixtures, cabinets and lighting and then she and her DH choose from the selections I found.

The bathroom is 76" x 61" plus the 36x60 tub alcove area. The house was built in 1964 and the bathroom had been updated once by the previous owner. In that update the original tub was re-glazed from a pinkish brown color to white. The white glazing was wearing out and the tub looked like it has a case of measles. The tub was also very shallow (water depth about 8 inches) and my DD really wanted a tub that she could soak in. So wanting a new tub lead to a complete gut and rebuild of the bathroom. My DD also wanted a vanity linen cabinet because there was no linen closet in the house. Adding a linen cabinet, meant that she would lose 18 inches of already limited countertop space. She was able to reclaim about 9 inches of counter space by replacing the previous 21 in wide oval sink with a 12 inch round sink.

This is the only before picture that my DD had of the bathroom:

Being a young, modern couple my DD and her DH wanted a modern more contemporary look for their bathroom so they opted to use large format tiles. Since they didnt want any brown/gold tones they went decided on gray and white. They liked the look of marble but didn't want to deal with the maintenance of it so I searched local tile stores and GW for faux marble tile.

The tile that she used is Daltile's Florentine series in their Cararra color. The tile is available in several sizes with either a matte or shiny finish. They chose to use 24x24 for the floor and 12x24 for the tub surround with both sizes in matte.

Here are a couple pre grout pictures of the tile.

And a couple with the tile grouted:

The cabinets are Fieldstone. They have a tinted varnish finish. The color is called Pearl and it is a very light gray. They seem to be a very nice quality and were a good price point. She used an 18" linen tower and a 27" sink base. We were able to get by without using any filler and thus able to keep within the 30" code required for the toilet area.

Since her countertop area is so small we didn't want to pay for a whole slab of stone so we had to find a remnant that would work. The fabricator had lots of whites to choose from but they were the wrong shades of white or were too busy looking. Since the cabinets were such a light gray color the kids decided to go with a dark gray/black countertop. We were lucky to find a piece of Hanstone Black Coral that was the right size. They extended the counter over the toilet for a little extra space.

Here is a close up of the countertop and the 12" round Porcher Marquee sink with Kohler's Forte faucet. The sink really is big enough and deep enough for their needs.

They love the Kohler Archer tub and the multifunction Kohler Forte Shower head.

The mosaic they used is Florida Tile's Pietra Art Bliss Iceland. The vanity light is Tech Lighting's Metro Bath Bar. The mirror is the Colby from Crate and Barrel.

In addition to the vanity light, they have a solar tube and 2 recessed lights in the ceiling.

They still need to put some pictures or shelves on the walls but for now they are very pleased with their new bathroom. They had a fabulous contractor who was also the tile man. The project was completed in under 1 month.

To close this long post here are a couple close ups of the tile and mosaic

Comments (43)