Recipe for all-butter crust made in processor?

cloudy_christine

Please share a t&t recipe. I always make my pumpkin pie with a shortening crust, but I don't have shortening. It may or may not be available for tomorrow morning's supermarket pick-up. We couldn't get one for today.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac92

Stick of butter, 1 1/2 cups of fluffed flour, 1/2 tsp salt
Pulse in processor until uniform crumbles.
Dump into bowl, add a shot ( 3 T.) vodka and a shot of ice water and toss with a fork, add more water dribbles at a time until it hangs together. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic and chill for about an hour....roll to fit pit plate. Makes a 10 inch pie with a little left over or 2 8 inch pie shells.
When you bake the vodka evaporates in a flash leaving a flaky crust....and the acid of the alcohol does something to the flour making it more tender.

Save     Thanked by cloudy_christine
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Mine is 1 1/4 cups flour, 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter cut up + 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or shortening of your choice), heaping 1/4 tsp.salt, if your butter is unsalted. Pulse lightly in food processor, using metal blade, so there are some larger and smaller pieces of butter - not too uniform, IOW, then dribble in 3 Tbs. ice water and pulse until it starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Remove from bowl and knead lightly to smooth dough, form into a disc for rolling. If it seems to soft, chill in fridge for a bit to firm up before rolling out.

If doing ahead, freeze, wrapped in waxed paper or parchment and placed in a plastic bag, or wrap in foil, until needed.

FWIW, butter crust is much more delicious than shortening 😊

CA Kate z9

When making pie crust in a FP COLD is the key: the butter must be almost frozen. I cut a stick into smallish cubes and then freeze before making my crusts in FP. (doesn't take long.) Then pulse only until you get the right blend. I use half icy water and half vodka in my crusts. I feel it does make a difference.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I put the flour in the freezer for awhile, rather than the butter.

But the thing I like about butter pastry (a.k.a. pate brisee) is that it stands up to a lot of handling, and still comes out tender and flaky.

chloebud

I've used this one from Martha Stewart for years. You can use all butter or half butter/half shortening.

Pate Brisee

Makes 1 double-crust or 2 single-crust 9- to 10-inch pies

2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled butter cut into pieces (or 1 stick butter and 1/2 cup cold shortening)

1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the cold butter pieces to the flour mixture, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. Add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, pouring it through the feed tube with the machine running, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide into 2 equal pieces, and place on 2 separate sheets of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form 2 disks. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

plllog

My favorite was posted many years Ago by RHome410: http://rhome410.blogspot.com/2011/02/pie-crust.html

Jasdip

Ina's recipe Food Network

Ina's perfect butter pie crust

Islay Corbel

Half butter in weight to flour a d as little cold water as possible. If you up the ratio of butter to flour, it gets better and better! You can add yogurt or cream instead of water. It's the butter that makes it melt in the mouth. Don't overwork it.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Butter Up Your Kitchen With Julia Child's Wisdom
Your kitchen will serve you more fully and beautifully when you borrow from these keen insights
Full Story
Kitchen Design Sweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story